Hello from Normal, Illinois!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Normal, Illinois!

Hello everyone, looking for some insight on what would work with this bike. Schwinn Stingray Spoiler with a 73mm bottom bracket and a 3 speed sturmey archer hub laced into the rear wheel. I see the 750watt version would fit and it seems like an option, but don’t want to buy twice if I can avoid it. Plus a little concerned it might shred my Archer hub.

I can't quite tell from the photo which SA hub you have. SA has a pretty tough monster hub that I think was developed for rental bikes. The older design more standard one is decent and I think similar to the Nexus 3 speed I had on my fat bike that I did ride in the mountain bike parks. I have a BBSHD 'hot rod' so it peaks in the 1200w range. I was a little worried about killing it but the main reason I got rid of it is it just didn't have the gearing range I wanted to get my fat ass plus heavy bike up and down the trails and through the snow. I rode mine at first without a gear sensor but added that the last month or two before I converted back to 10 speed and I thought the gear sensor helped keep some of the abuse out of gear changes.

Your bike has a nice long wheel base so the usual mid drive issues of chain line and hitting the chain stay should not be a problem but I would like to see more pics of what I assume is where the kickstand mounts? I see something hanging down below the chain ring.

How many teeth on that chain ring? You will want to keep something similar just for the looks and to stay under that chain guard.

Comment

The IGH is a good choice for 20" bikes because it has an overdrive ratio that a derailer can't provide.
      You can play around with Sheldon Browns gear calculator and see what size rear sprocket will get the top speed you want with the same size chainring.
      https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
      For "gear units" mph@90rpm is a normal setting.

Comment

I don’t know which model SA, only that it has 20T and 3 gears. The chainring has 44T and the only thing below is the kickstand mount. The plan is to move the shifter to just behind the seat, clearing the space internally for motor. Was also thinking about a saddlebag for the left side to hold the battery, but read on here to be aware of rubbing. This bike just screams motorized me, but I don’t have funds to just throw around. This wouldn’t be ridden really hard and would mostly be on asphalt or concrete paths.

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          Rear cogs are cheap. I would pick up a 16T,and 18T to get the gearing up. If money is tight, and for casual riding a BBS02 will probably be a good choice.

Can you get us a few more pics of the crank area? And were you looking at something like the Cyclone motors or a BBS?

Comment

73mm BSC bottom bracket with mechanical disc brakes front and back. She is heavy though, around 70 pounds, add me at 185 and that’s a decent amount of weight to move. I’m thinking BBS02, but it looks like the cyclone might be in stock and it matches the color scheme nicely. I’m not looking for super high speeds, but a nice cruiser that could hit a bike path, take some Midwestern inclines (typically low grades) and maybe help pull my dog in a bike cart. Dog is 20 pounds and the trailer about the same weight. He’s old and has taken to getting in the cart and chilling as I sweat it out. Loves it

Comment

750W= 1HP. Electric motors produce a lot of torque at low RPM. Getting the bike moving won't be a problem. If you gear it for 20mph top speed, low speed should not be an issue. I honestly believe 25mph would be OK also. Cyclone kits aren't for beginners. With up to 4HP available not a good idea for that bike. I think a BBS02 is the right choice.
            14,16,18t cog options are available here.
            https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1569

Comment

Does the bottom bracket shell stick out past that bracket that holds the chain guard? The BBS's won't fit inside the frame.

Comment

The chain guard connects between the bottom bracket and pedals, could be modified though. Although it would have been nice to have it inside the frame on this build I read up on the spec to know it wouldn’t fit that way, not without heavy modifications. As for top speed on this one, 25-30 would be plenty. Getting across busy intersections quickly from a dead stop would be nice. Longer cruises on asphalt bike paths and being able to swap out batteries on the go is another goal.

Comment

If the kickstand wasn't there the motor could kinda tuck in towards the back. I think your battery pack is going to have to look like an engine. Maybe mount bottle holders to it and find some bottles that look like cylinders?

Comment

Hahahaha…nice. Thoughts on a saddle bag on the left side? Thinking it would look right and maybe carry an additional battery.

Comment

I'm not sure what is out there for bags and a rack that would fit the size there and be strong enough to carry batteries or how you would attach them given that unique frame design.

Looks like maybe there are 20" wheel racks. Not sure what you have for attachment points but this one looks like the brackets are not part of the actual rack so could be easily modified or replaced with something unique if needed. They also have their BattAnch bracket for their Ez Flat packs that maybe could be directly attached to your rear frame in like a saddle bag? Maybe instead of attaching a saddle bag then putting a battery in the bag go at it from the other direction and first attach the battery then add a saddle bag to the battery to hide it? Also it looks like their 48v Ez pack is 17 Ah. For most people with most riding that should be around a 40 mile pack. As usual that estimate could be + or - about 20 miles depending on just about everything.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...rack-ddsm.html

Comment

• 73Eldo
                        73Eldo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Griin Ez 48 V 17ah flat pack battery in Imperial numbers is 13 3/4" long. 5 1/2" wide. 2 3/8 deep. 8.5 pounds. Most other packs the narrowest dimension is of the 18650 plus connections and protection and the cell raw is 2 1/2" so even with minimal extras you end up with 2 3/4" to 3" by the time you connect it and enclose it somehow so that 2 3/8 is pretty thin compared to others.

Originally posted by ScrewyOne View Post
                      Hahahaha…nice. Thoughts on a saddle bag on the left side? Thinking it would look right and maybe carry an additional battery.
                      For panniers I've been running Ortliebs - they'll attach to most racks readily. They are pricey but some of the very best quality - I've run them on motos and bicycles for decades. https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...ycle-panniers/

I use the waterproof ones with the dry-bag roll up closures - not so much for waterproof since I don't ride in the rain but out here dust is a big issue and they are outstanding at keep the stuff clean. They pop on and off instantly - truly instantly. Just grab the handle and set them on the rack and release the handle and they are super secure - then just grab the handle and pull them off. they've got a little security loop that you can lock to but I only do that for a quick run into a convenience store where I'm keeping an eye on things - otherwise they are silly easy to carry with a shoulder strap. I've got two but typically just run with one unless I'm running the big battery in one.

I've carried my monster 6.5kg (14s8p) battery with zero issues and have loaded them down with a lot of water and other gear also no worries...

If you don't mind fabricating and a lot more of a project than a BBSxx - by the looks of your bike you might not be averse - the cyclones might actually be a good option for you

Comment

Greatly appreciate all the input everyone! Wow, you all are quick to answer and very helpful in finding resources. Thank you Eldo, RetroRocket and AZguy for the input!

Comment

Working...
                        X