Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Townie with BBSHD and Shark Battery > YeeHaw!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Townie with BBSHD and Shark Battery > YeeHaw!

Greetings from Boulder, CO! I just built up this Townie, and I have a few basic questions for the newbie in me. I have the 52v 11.5ah Carbon Shark... it has a small on / off switch on the underside of the case. When I park the bike, is it important to turn off the switch? I have my color display setup with a password to turn it on, would just turning off the display with it locked be enough? Also, can the switch be left in the on position when charging the pack? I have always turned it off, but it is pretty inconvenient to unlock the pack just to flip the switch. I would like to be able to just plug in the charger from the side...if that's safe?

Also, even with pedal assist at level 1... I run out of gearing pretty quickly. I can really only pedal to about 20mph... It has the standard 7 gears that came on the bike. Is it possible to just get a larger front chain ring on the front to gain more top speed? And if so, are there any you guys would recommend?

Other than not being able to keep up with the thing, it's awesome! I'm coming from another cruiser with a 250watt hub drive that was fun, but this blows it out of the water! Fun stuff!

Nice bike. I think, but am not sure, you can reprogram the power in each of your levels of PAS. I have a similar issue in early gears

Comment

A few people have put bigger front sprockets on, but there seems to be a point of diminishing returns.
      38ish mph is about the max irregardless of gearing/tire size.

Comment

I still use the stock Bafang front sprocket for 30-MPH street riding, but....for slow off-road crawling up steep trails? a smaller chanring is definitely the way to go.

That being said, if you leave the battery "ON", then...over the winter storage period of several months, the BMS will drain down the pack too low, possibly damaging it. There is no issue with leaving that button "ON" from one week to the next, as long as you charge it up an hour before each ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly View Post
          Is it possible to just get a larger front chain ring on the front to gain more top speed? And if so, are there any you guys would recommend?!
          Sure, unfortunately there none with the depth of the OEM, Lekkie, or Eclipse. I tried a 52T and it's fast! BUT lousy chainline. Until someone makes one like the Eclipse in a 52T, we wait...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 4.58.29 PM.png
Views:	99
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	13526 http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...heels-compared

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm going to try a Origin8 52T and see how that goes. I assume that I'll need a crank puller tool to swap the chainrings (unless there is a way to swap them without pulling the cranks?)... I've noticed there are a few different types of crank pullers available... can someone tell me the specs for the stock cranks on the BBSHD? I was so stoked to get them on there when I was installing it, I didn't pay too much attention :)

Comment

• Louis
                Louis commented
                Editing a comment
                I ordered the parts for a comparison, I'll sell the 52T with parts and adapter at current cost and pay

Another question about IGH's... with something like the NuVinci N360, do you have to de-power when shifting? Right now, I just pull my brake lever slightly, shift, then release the brake... but this is pretty awkward... I would love to just continue pedaling while shifting...

Comment

You could purchase the gear sensor but braking dows the same. I hav ed the gear sensor and it works great

Comment

• Louis
                  Louis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You don't find braking to be a longer pause?

• Rodney64
                  Rodney64 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes braking has a longer pause.

• Louis
                  Louis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks I was confused by your saying that braking did the same. I was pretty down on the GS. I was a beta tester two years ago. Maybe not quite so long... I thought it was more gimmick than useful. But once Luna and everyone else got them and we're seeing wider use. Now that we don't have to pay those nutty Lectric Cycle prices, we're seeing more feedback.

Eric convinced me to try the controller based and it's quite different in response. Although I only have it on one bike. The other with over 500 miles I just shift and wince, and so far it's held up. It's a 7 speed and a cheap chain, but the derailleur and chain is holding up. Mind I'm a commuter type user, not a hill climber. I've come to the conclusion, for me, the best use is with an IGH to protect it.

Louis - I totally would have, but I only just now noticed your post :) I went ahead and purchased the 52T at my LBS and wow, what a difference! I'm now getting 26-28mph in my highest gear. This is much more what I was hoping to achieve. In my lowest gear, the chain line is a little extreme, but on the couple of test rides, it doesn't seem to be stressing. I will keep a close eye on it. Now I just have to see if I can tow my 2yr old in his trailer up our hill in the lowest gear :) Next decision... to go for a IGH on the rear??? Either way, I think the gear sensor is also in my near future.

Comment

Nice ride and build Philly !! Are you getting along ok with your v-brakes ? I'm thinking about converting my older Giant Yukon with the center pull (or what ever you call them).After seeing your Townie though, I would also like to buy a Sun Drifter to convert. My wife has a Giant Suede which is a pedal forward bike and I love the feel and position of the bike. How did you decide between the 02 and HD ?? I not looking for speed ,but more for hill climbing.

Comment

• Louis
                    Louis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You didn't mention hill climbing in you message to me. I'd definitely go the HD on a Townie. I'm disappointed in the direction KHS and Sun have gone with cheaper components. Add Kool Stop Salmon MTB pads and you'll have 26" discs. That pad works great.

The linear pull brakes seem to be working well. I just ordered some Kool E-Bike brake pads, which should hopefully help. If you get linear pull brakes tuned correctly, they are super powerful. However, if my fork had mounts for discs, I would probably go disc instead... future project :) I love the pedal forward, this thing is a cadillac! The HD was the obvious choice for me... not that much more $... plus I don't think I've ever bought something and wished it was slower... didn't want to regret it, and I sure don't!

Comment

Originally posted by SextonTom View Post
                    Nice ride and build Philly !! Are you getting along ok with your v-brakes ? I'm thinking about converting my older Giant Yukon with the center pull (or what ever you call them).After seeing your Townie though, I would also like to buy a Sun Drifter to convert. My wife has a Giant Suede which is a pedal forward bike and I love the feel and position of the bike. How did you decide between the 02 and HD ?? I not looking for speed ,but more for hill climbing.
                    Just installed the Kool Stop Ebike pads... wow! Night and day difference from the standard pads I was using before. I would absolutely recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Louis
                      Louis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Which? The MTB Salmon or?
                  Working...
                  X