I'm Here Because I'm Stalking Gr8fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Here Because I'm Stalking Gr8fun!

I've been reading, with gr8 interest, his posts over the past 2-3 years. Joining this site was the only way that I could conveniently search and read all of his posts.

Welcome.
    Happy to see interest in charging bike with solar panels. Has not been much interest. Except, I am very happy with results. 3 years with daily riding with panels. 40 miles a day from sun alone. 20 mph. Not a fast bike, not the objective.

I see you want to use concentrating collector. More than 200 watts panel mounted on bike is extremely difficult. Concentrating collector would be deployable at stops. ..
    Last edited by Gr8fun; 10-10-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I will be installing 400 watts of 3d solar panels on a bicycle in an area of approximately 12" x 24". Optical reflectors/refractors/diffractors will extend beyond the footprint of the solar panels to about 24" x 24". The optics will obviate the need for solar tracking. Total weight will be roughly 10 lbs. It will all be permanently deployed and not have to be deployed at stops.

Comment

400W from four square feet? You might want to check your math there, I have a simple offgrid system here, 6x 80W panels and it covers approximately 50 square feet.

Comment

My math is correct. However, I'm also working on something even more exciting. A thermoelectric array will provide approximately 1000w/m^2, as opposed to a photovoltaic array which provides 187w/m^2. I'm also developing a thermoelectric system with heat storage which will generate power 24x7x365.
          Last edited by Mnd8KRyi; 11-01-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I know a guy working on cold fusion - any day now! Click image for larger version

Name:	wink.gif
Views:	64
Size:	439 Bytes
ID:	143821

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
              I know a guy working on cold fusion - any day now! Click image for larger version

Name:	wink.gif
Views:	64
Size:	439 Bytes
ID:	143821
              Thermoelectric generators were discovered and developed about 200 years ago. Other than that, it's a great analogy!

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm pretty well versed in thermoelectric generators (Seebeck effect) so just saying they've been around for 200 years doesn't make them a practical energy source for bicycles... in fact it suggests the opposite since the technology has been around so long and yet they still haven't made it anywhere near mainstream... radioisotope versions are good for spacecraft that aren't concerned about the cost but a bit pricey for a bicycle (not to mentioned the weight and radiation)

What would educate is showing us an economical and practical setup generating '400 watts.. in an area of approximately 12" x 24" '

No offense meant but I'm naturally a skeptic

If we could get 4oo watts out of 2 square feet, something is terribly wrong with our sun.
              abandon ship.
              I too sm skeptical.

Comment

Start with this:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1112/1112.3266.pdf

Add reflectors for concentration, refractors for "tracking", and diffraction gratings for temperature control.

Comment

Read the article and it's not anywhere near as optimistic as suggested

They say with their cube structures they can achieve 20-40w/m2 - and that without the mirrors they are looking at 200Wh/day/m2 and that it can be increased to 600Wh/day/m2 by adding 450m2 (!) worth of mirrors - I typically use between 200-400Wh per ride and often enough >600Wh so would need well over 1m2 based on the number in the article

I saw no mention of thermoelectric generators (radioisotope or not! Click image for larger version

Name:	evil.gif
Views:	53
Size:	343 Bytes
ID:	143858)

Regardless, the article fails to even mention the number one, top-of-the-list, most important set of metrics - the economics!

For now - call me "skeptical in AZ" - should I change my board name?

Good luck! We all want it but I usually figure that if it isn't already here best case it's a long way away and more often it's a unicorn

Comment

reflectors and diffraction gratings, on a bicycle? But either way, even a 2sqr foot panel would be a huge air dam, unless you plan on mounting it flush to your back. Have fun with the project either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X