Repair shop new(ish) to ebikes trying to help local ebike community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair shop new(ish) to ebikes trying to help local ebike community

Hi all, thank you for reading. My Wife and I run a small bicycle repair shop out of our home and more and more of our clients want us to service ebikes. We have typically advised we can repair any mechanical issues, we stay away from the electrical issues but we will TRY to get electrical issues sorted if within our ability. I finally joined this forum due to a wiring hurdle I just cant get past (I think I'm close!) and knowing that we MUST expand our knowledge base to help our local riders. Any help is greatly appreciated, and any general mechanical advise I can give, I will!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The vast array of incompatible motor systems and parts, combined with the wide quality range of said parts would make me shiver as a private shop owner, especially when trying to offer a reasonable time period repair warranty.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Oh trust me, it does! We are trying to get our knowledge base to where we can make sure we know what we can fix, how quickly, what might be involved/Etc. A LOT of our business has been from no other shop in the area will even take a look, and so far about 90% of the issues are very simple. With each client we learning more and more about what we should and should not even attempt. We LOVE ebikes, so fortunately for our clients we don't charge for research time based on our learning curve!

Comment

Keep us posted on how it goes. I have tried to help some people and never had any success. At least with regular bike stuff you can pretty easily look at stuff and figure it out and when it comes to parts you don't usually need the exact parts, often times close will still work fine. The issues I tried to deal with seemed to be what on the better bikes we would call a display although on these was just a couple buttons and lights.

Maybe after you see a bunch of em it will be like the regular bike stuff where you will just be able to look at em and know how to troubleshoot and what you can replace parts with. I don't know enough about em to know if they are really all that different or not.

Comment

Maybe make a list of what E bikes your customers have and research the forums here to see what is known about those
          There is a huge forum at endless sphere on the TSDZ2 and it's many known issues. They seem to be OK n Europe with it's lower 350W power limits. But here they tend to be 750W and stretched pretty thin. Grin Technology in Canada is good for hub motor info.

Comment

Yea, its a mess. Im a university degree computer engineer, working as a factory automation engineer. So there isnt anything I cant figure out if life depends on it. But from a profit standpoint, you need a head full of tools to avoid wasting tons of your time and sinking into liability. And like with all tech, every year its changing. Factories are moving away from the DIY community in favor of proprietary systems that can be price and feature controlled. Somebody like you is best to get hooked up with a name brand with need of field tech support. Then you are guided into the typical problems their systems need service with. Thats the way Tech support works in the automation field. Maned by young techies with sponge brain power that learns tons of stuff very quickly. Even simple wiring issues have methods that need to be practiced to enable durable fixes. The electrical environment is its own way of life.

Comment

Working...
            X