Newbie but oldie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie but oldie

I took the myakka fl e-bike tour and was ruined forever. Now I have to have one, plan on converting a giant mountain bike with the latest goodies for a cracking ride. I am also wanting to convert a trek 7200 to a 250 watt front wheel drive for cruising. I am 66 pushing 67 next month, so e-bike is the way to go for me,

That ebike tour/safari sounds fun. I'm glad you keep finding new things to enjoy. I just ordered my first ebike so I can ride along with my boys.

Comment

For the front wheel option make sure its a 250w continuous rating and has a higher peak like 350. Unless you only weigh 100 pounds a 250 peak motor barely helps. 250 continuous actually does a decent job if you just need a little help and don't mind slowing down if you have hills or wind. Front wheels are also the easiest to install and have the best chance of working with the least amount of hassles so they are a valid option for some people.

Rear wheels are much less standard in just about ever aspect so you have to do a lot more research to make sure you got both the bike and motor setup that match.

Mid drives give you more flexibility as far as being able to get both low speed power and high speeds but you have to use the gears to get that advantage. If you are not really a gear shifting person you may be better off with a hub motor. Mid drives also tend to be the most finicky to install both as far as complexity and getting a frame that will accept one with minimal mods.

Hub motors can be a much bigger pain and require tools to change tubes and tires because they are almost always bolt on and you have the wiring and possibly a torque arm to deal with. Mid drives don't change the way the wheels mount so if it was a quick release or through axle to start with it will still be that way with a mid drive on it.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Aside from those big tricycles for the senior/timid set I have a very hard time seeing the point in a front wheel hub... wouldn't trust much more than 250W on any case...

Having owned a rear hub bike for quite a while agree with your points on the pain of any maintenance on a hub wheel, they're really heavy which makes removal and especially installing really painful - had to some up with a hoisting mechanism to install...

Life is short. Do you want to bust your knuckles again or ride?
      Buy a quality good looking new powerful e-bike that fits you and ride with pride.

Comment

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        70yo knuckle buster here. 1500W BBSHD in urban So. Fla. Aside form the location I'm not the only one here doing this.

I don't like Hub Motors at all, I would recommend a bbs02 with 48v battery mid-drive.
      This Bafang is much safer because they have so much more torque puck up you can cross roads and get across intersections fast before traffic catches up.
      The 250w Front Hub motor is just a dog.
      The Rear hub drive I have seen a lot failures when you fall over or knock the side in the garage it will pull out the Main wire, and then you will have to replace the whole thing, unless you do major soldering & rewiring.

Comment

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        Front wheel drive is a waste of time in urban riding. If you're just toodling around the retirement community it would be OK.
        BBS02 makes the kind of power I use in most of my riding. I rarely use top assist on the BBSHD. But the torque does get used crossing busy roads, and it also means fewer power cuts for shifting gears.
    Working...
    X