Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob

Good evening all, I’m a recent plunge off the deep end into this fantastic world of e-bike transportation/fun. A lil back story on me… a few months ago my neighbor put an old skool 90’s mtb out with the trash and I salvaged it with some tinkering and Amazon parts I got it going again. This reminded me how much fun cardio is on a bicycle. So from there I ditched the old too small 26er for a 700c hybrid (my work horse) for the last two months I’ve averaged 10-15 miles a day trying to build stamina but had begun to realize my goal of a 20 mile each way commute to work may not be terribly realistic. That’s when I started thinking outside the box and found the plethora of parts available on Amazon. In the last two weeks I’ve found the perfect donor bike at Walmart (schwinn junction) installed a Bafang bbs02 mid drive w/44t sprocket. A rack mount battery setup from upp. And some misc add ons either for fun (like water bottle holders and new pedals) or functionality like an extended seat post and 145mm adjustable stem so this thing actually fits me comfortably (more so than any bike I’ve ever ridden) I also opted to change the mechanical disc brakes for hydraulic. I put about 20-25 miles on the brand new from Walmart Schwinn to really shake it down and find the bugs before diving into this build. Aside from some hap hazard assembly from someone likely underpaid and over worked I was content to use this as my donor. I’ve now got nearly that on the build but ran into a snag today as I blew my rear tire on a ride this morning. I guess in upgrading brakes and even going through the work to permanently mount the ebrake cut off switches I didn’t think about the tires (which where actually one of my deciding reasons to choose this bike as the donor) my criteria where disc brakes, 1x7 or 8 shifting and medium width tires pref with street tread. This puppy checked all the boxes. I’ve built a few stoopid fast cars and motorcycles over the years and knew I would want to slow down properly as I would also be going faster than uhm most… but totally overlooked the stability/durability of these stock tires. I’ve carried on a bit much for an introduction so I’ll reel it back. Expect to see me poking around especially if I find a section about reprogramming/remapping the PAS system on these Bafang setups as most of you likely already have experience with… for someone that wants to contribute pedaling effort the top PAS settings are garbage. I did go all in so I do have a twist throttle but don’t intend to use it much. First order of business is some quality tire upgrades… lemme find that section. And to anyone round San Jose HMU if you wanna share knowledge or what ever. Thanks again

For tires Schwalbe North America is a good place to look. EU has speed ratings for Ebike tires and reflective sidewalls are required too. You can filter for speed rating at Schwalbe.
    The consensus here on flat prevention is tubeless tire goo inside of the inner tubes. Stans is the original, but Orange Seal is common in bike shops.
    I run a Tannus liner in the rear on HTbikes. But not so much for flat prevention as damping at high speeds. It does cost some range. I make up for the extra weight by skipping the heavy flat protected tires in favor of the sealant.

Comment

• Synchronicity
      Synchronicity commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you retrotockit, the Schwalbe e plus is what I’m leaning towards.

Originally posted by Synchronicity View Post
    Good evening all, I’m a recent plunge off the deep end into this fantastic world of e-bike transportation/fun. A lil back story on me… a few months ago my neighbor put an old skool 90’s mtb out with the trash and I salvaged it with some tinkering and Amazon parts I got it going again. This reminded me how much fun cardio is on a bicycle. So from there I ditched the old too small 26er for a 700c hybrid (my work horse) for the last two months I’ve averaged 10-15 miles a day trying to build stamina but had begun to realize my goal of a 20 mile each way commute to work may not be terribly realistic. That’s when I started thinking outside the box and found the plethora of parts available on Amazon. In the last two weeks I’ve found the perfect donor bike at Walmart (schwinn junction) installed a Bafang bbs02 mid drive w/44t sprocket. A rack mount battery setup from upp. And some misc add ons either for fun (like water bottle holders and new pedals) or functionality like an extended seat post and 145mm adjustable stem so this thing actually fits me comfortably (more so than any bike I’ve ever ridden) I also opted to change the mechanical disc brakes for hydraulic. I put about 20-25 miles on the brand new from Walmart Schwinn to really shake it down and find the bugs before diving into this build. Aside from some hap hazard assembly from someone likely underpaid and over worked I was content to use this as my donor. I’ve now got nearly that on the build but ran into a snag today as I blew my rear tire on a ride this morning. I guess in upgrading brakes and even going through the work to permanently mount the ebrake cut off switches I didn’t think about the tires (which where actually one of my deciding reasons to choose this bike as the donor) my criteria where disc brakes, 1x7 or 8 shifting and medium width tires pref with street tread. This puppy checked all the boxes. I’ve built a few stoopid fast cars and motorcycles over the years and knew I would want to slow down properly as I would also be going faster than uhm most… but totally overlooked the stability/durability of these stock tires. I’ve carried on a bit much for an introduction so I’ll reel it back. Expect to see me poking around especially if I find a section about reprogramming/remapping the PAS system on these Bafang setups as most of you likely already have experience with… for someone that wants to contribute pedaling effort the top PAS settings are garbage. I did go all in so I do have a twist throttle but don’t intend to use it much. First order of business is some quality tire upgrades… lemme find that section. And to anyone round San Jose HMU if you wanna share knowledge or what ever. Thanks again
    Hey, have you ever heard of line breaks. A block of text like this is almost unreadable. When I see a post like this, I just skip it.

Comment

Calfee my apologies. I’m not much of a writer. I’ll try to do better.
      Where in Lutz to you winter? We’ve got a place on Breynia dr when we’re not in California…..

Comment

Blew your rear tire? What do you mean by that? Wore or skidded through the tread? Some sort of puncture? And this was likely the stock tire that came on the bike?

How many PAS levels do you have? If your display lets you go to 9 that can help dial it in without needing and having to get into the programming cable.

Comment

73eldo, it was the stock tire. I think I may have hit something sharp as it (the tire) is split sharply about a three inch gouge and the tube blew out. I’m waiting on the schwalbe to arrive.

I do have the color display ekd01. It’s got selectability with 9 levels. What I would like to understand is, can I modify the power output levels but have the ability to reach top speed?

my issue is this, I didn’t anticipate this much power on tap. I want the ability to pedal hard with minor assistance from the motor to keep my cadence. Under stock 9 level controller programs. At level 3,4 and 5 I really like the assist feel but those speeds fall out on me when I try to pedal up to the 25mph range I intend to maintain as my top end

I do want to keep on top speed high gear for those times I decide to get lazy and wanna twist the throttle. But beyond that I plan to kick the pedals 99% of the time. When doing so I want help not to feel like I’m chasing the motor if any of that makes sense?..

Comment

Working...
        X