George from New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George from New Zealand

I joined a week or so ago initialy to get answers to my E Bike problems. With both of my questions quickly and professionaly answered I felt I need now to be a contributor. Hence this wee introduction.
    Thruout my life I have been a bike rider...I can not remember ever NOT having a bike. In the old days I had a beautiful English Humber Super Sports, oh boy some bike way back in 1950. It had a 4 speed Sturmey Archer box, a front hub dynamo, sprung front forks and finished jet black. I paid 25 pounds for this ...paying it off at the rate of five shillings per week whilst working for the Argus Newspaper in Melbourne. Altho one of Australias oldest newspapers it folded not long after
    After shifting to Gods own country New Zealand I was just married and for transportation bought a dunger but going ladies bike for five pound. This was the only transportation we had, to stop I had to jam my foot over the rear tyre and frame (wouldnt have a show of doing that today!). It was effective tho. At the time I sold Xmas cards door to door in Hamilton New zealand. These cards were so sucessfull with photographs of customers house on Xmas card..that we lived off them for over a year..
    My next real happy time with bikes was from 18 years or so ago, I had built a lovely home just out of Hamilton in a lovely rural setting. To keep fit I had up to six English bikes,all with Sturmey Archer gearboxes. Every one had a decent wide Brooks saddle.....lovely and comfortable. All of these bikes were upright drivers. I do not understand these new cycles that force you to be leaning forward uncomfortably. I hads 10 acres with stock. i rounded all my stock up on bike...just the easiest thing to do. and saved many hours of toil. sadly I had to sell my home So shifted to where I live now in Tauranga. Tauranga is a lovely sunny place by the sea. It is a magic place to live. It was from here I bought my first Electric Bike. Altho I have had troubles with it and still have...I Love it. It guarantees I am going to get up the two big hills I have to negotiate each day on my bike ride. So at age 81.8months Istill love my bike. My E Bike is a Wisper 705 SE
    cheers George

Nice story George.

Comment

NZ is my top choice to move there, if I had to leave my home, what a lovely place!

As far as the leaned over posture on some bicycles, some of the young athletic men find it to be more aerodynamic, plus on steep uphills, they can efficiently shift their weight from side to side.

I personally love my upright cruiser. No weight on my wrists, and my neck isn't sore from pulling my skull upwards to see the road. I have fat tires and a suspension seatpost to avoid shocks to my spine, but....I try to keep my speeds at a fairly safe level. Very pleased with how it turned out....
      Last edited by spinningmagnets; 09-26-2016, 08:33 PM. Reason: speling

Comment

Hi Yes I loved Melbourne but now love New Zealand even more so. My lady and self have toured the South Island 4 times, the people are so friendly,the scenenery stunning....breathtakingI bought a bike carrier and yes every day I did my mandatory 30 minutes plus.. I often wonder if many of the purchasers of the lean forward type of bike dont realize what they are missing in an upright bike. Also those thin skinny seats....I cant understand it. However I am overweight which may have a bearing.
        Ida been in my element in Kansas city during the tenties....all that Jazz!

Comment

Welcome George,
          i'm inspired by the 'use it or lose it' ethos you portray. the thought of being able to ride a bike daily into one's elder years-facilitated by some electric boost-is excellent!

Comment

Working...
          X