Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bafang BBSHD mounted on a steel frame.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bafang BBSHD mounted on a steel frame.

    I have recently mounted the Bafang motor on one of my steel bikes, it is a road bike, age has caught up with me and I am very slow on the hills, my problem is that even though I have really torqued up the lock nut the motor over the space of 50 k ride the motor starts rocking whenever the pas kicks in. I tried a few fixes and hopefully finally I used 4 large cable zip ties wrapping them around the down tube and the motor, after the last ride (56K) they seem to be holding. Is there a more conventional method to stop the movement out there please?

    #2
    Did you have any spacers in the kit? Maybe you need more spacers. I had a similar problem yesterday when fitting a kit and found the lock nut was tight but the axle still had movement. You may need to add spacers to take up the slack.

    Regards
    Rod

    Comment


      #3
      Define "really torqued." I use a 24" pipe wrench on the proper socket tool for that nut, and I get it TIGHT. I have heard that no one has yet to over tighten said nut, as in strip it. So, proper spacers, and lots of leverage, it worked for me anyway after mine came loose, and that was several hundred miles ago.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks guys, I made sure to have the proper spacing for the BB and plate, my problem is that I am using a steel high tensile frame and the potrusion's on the plate has difficulty in biting into the face of the BB, with aluminum frames I guess that would not be a problem, I really reefed up the nut. I am going to ride it this afternoon and see whether my solution is still working.

        Comment


          #5
          Yes on the aluminium frame it really bites in.

          Comment


            #6
            I rode the bike yesterday, I got in 44K, it is such a blast to ride when I hit the uphills and the motor kicks in. I had no problem with the motor moving, the Zip ties seem to have done the trick. During the winter I may dismantle the rig and make some detents in the bottom bracket to line up with the potrusions on the mounting plate, I don't want to mess with it now, I am having too much fun riding it!

            Comment


              #7
              After my first (and only) time the motor came loose, I thought up a backup system of aircraft cable (1/16") and an aircraft turnbuckle, that would mechanically suck the motor up tight against the bike frame (with a piece of high density rubber in between). But after I got serious about torquing it down the second time, no need. I also considered some aircraft stainless safety wire, it's real versatile stuff and easy to work with, plus lasts forever.

              "Reefed on", I get that... that means pretty tight! My frame/frames, have also been aluminum so yeah, easier to indent a bit.

              Comment


                #8
                I had the same problem with my wife's XXS02. I thought I had it really tight but it did the same thing as well as damaging some of the wiring. I fixed it by placing a long clamp around the motor parallel with the frame, tightening, and then installing a smaller clamp thru that one and around the down tube just in front of the bb. Its a simple fix and with some black paint you'll never see it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  It will not need alot to bit in. My wifes frame is steel as well.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X