New to e-bikes, help with road bike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to e-bikes, help with road bike build

Hi there! I typically ride a motorcycle to work, but want to supplement with my road bike since my commute is only about 10 miles. I have a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (700c wheels, about 22 lbs., etc.) that I want to add a motor to and be able to ride home without too much assist after a long day at work. Looking at the Bafang Mid drive BBSHD with a 13.5 AH battery and just wondering if that's a good place to start. I've read a lot about mountain bikes and "fat bikes" but haven't yet found a good source for road bike work. I figure with such a lightweight frame range should be great. Any initial help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

GH

I will be following this thread because I am also interested in e-roadbikes. The only helpful info I can give you is to be sure and run a high voltage in anticipation of a higher max speed for the road bike.

If I were to make an e-roadbike, I would use a Crystalyte 3580 in the front hub, and a Sabvoton controller at 72V and battery on a sturdy rear rack The max speed would be about 49mph.

Comment

Loosely in the vein (but with a suspension fork and disk brakes) is this video:

Last edited by ncmired; 10-23-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Bafang BBSHD. The bottom bracket I have is a press-fit bb86 sealed bearing...would the motor work with this? I think I read somewhere that I may need an adapter but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Comment

Hi gearhead,
          Yes, you will need an adapter. Check out this page for lots of bottom bracket info https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blog...d-drive-motors. If you can't find the proper PF86 to English adapter, you may have to have one custom made by a machinist (I paid $50 for one once). Let me know if you need further help.
          If you haven't gotten the HD kit yet, I might recommend looking at the BBS02 as an alternative. If your riding is all flat land commuting on a lightweight road bike, that might make more sense (it still puts out close to 2hp).

Comment

Originally posted by BikeEV View Post
            Hi gearhead,
            Yes, you will need an adapter. Check out this page for lots of bottom bracket info https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blog...d-drive-motors. If you can't find the proper PF86 to English adapter, you may have to have one custom made by a machinist (I paid $50 for one once). Let me know if you need further help.
            If you haven't gotten the HD kit yet, I might recommend looking at the BBS02 as an alternative. If your riding is all flat land commuting on a lightweight road bike, that might make more sense (it still puts out close to 2hp).
            Matt at Empowered Cycles is an awesome vendor and a great mechanic. I highly recommend him.

Comment

Hi gearhead

Here are the two most important articles you should read before ordering the BBS02/BBSHD

How to order the right Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD the First Time ! Many folks ask the question "Will a BBSHD fit my (insert any bike here)?" . The simple answer is usually "Who knows?" . There are too many variables involved for Luna or the electric-bike forum users to give a definitive answer. The only time

If you are planning to build a mid-drive BBSxx series bike, then the first piece of information you need is what size and type bottom bracket shell you have. Full article on choosing a BBSxx kit here (http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/kits/bafang-mid-drives/10736-how-to-order-the-right-bbsxx-kit) The Bafang BBSxx series of

Regards
              Gus

Comment

From experience a BBSHD and road frame are not a good mix.
                The BBSHD is a great bit of kit but it is heavy. Add the battery and you have a lot of extra weight to carry and stop from a higher speed.
                25mm or 28mm tyres won't be very comfortable even on tarmac. I would look at a frame that will take at least 32mm.
                I would also look at cantilever or V brakes or disc brakes.

I understand the desire to use a lightweight bike but realistically the e kit is so heavy that other weight isn't much of an issue.
                For a commuter on good tarmac you don't need really fat tyres or full suspension.

Comment

Working...
                X