Commuter Ebikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter Ebikes

Hello, my name is Erik and I am currently building my fourth and fifth ebikes.

I started with a Hilltopper Kit from Clean Republic, but 250W was not enough, so I built two ebikes with Crystalyte 4060 motors, Lyen Mark 2 controllers and 72V LiMn batteries from Electric Rider. Those ebikes were plenty powerful, but the motors got up to 107 degrees C after 5 miles, so my new builds have Cromotors. The Electric Rider batteries are not rated to supply continuous current above 50A because of the BMS so I am still up in the air as far as what batteries to use. With these batteries I have to limit my current in the CA to 45A and it definitely nerfs my bikes. On hard acceleration I can feel it cutting out because the controller is known to pull 81A if it is not limited. Before I limited the current to 45A I blew up two BMS units which is alarming on top of causing the ebike to be inoperable.

I don't own a car. My commute to work is a flat paved 5.5 miles with plenty of stoplights. My second and third ebikes (I refer to them as prototypes) weigh about 75 lbs. each and I weigh 245 lbs. I don't carry too much cargo, but I use Surly Bud and Lou tires with a lot of tire liners and slime in the rear. As such, I consume a lot of current. I always run 72V (83.8V fully charged with a LVC of 65V). My rig requires 2880W to cruise at 36mph and I have drawn up to 81A on hard acceleration, so I am looking for a relatively lightweight 25-30Ah battery with a very beefy BMS that can supply 81A for up to 5s and a continuous 60A.

I am completely obsessed with building ebikes. I work long hours to afford it, research at night and build on my few days off. I have a wonderful electronics tech, a superb wheel builder, a genius friend and a supportive LBS that works on the bicycle components. This is a challenging and rewarding hobby.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 02-18-2016, 11:54 PM.

Hi! Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by BikeEV View Post
      Hi! Where are you located?
      I am in Sonoma County, CA, but I am known to drive up to 60 miles in any direction to meet up for a ride.

Comment

Cool. Nice to meet you!

Comment

Here is my buddy Frank trying out one of my bikes:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_210.png
Views:	10
Size:	674.0 KB
ID:	600

Comment

Working...
          X