Hey all! Soon to be e-bike commuter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all! Soon to be e-bike commuter...

Hey all, Fat Panther here, soon joining the ebike world. Came here to get lots of info about stuff.

Welcome! The first questions are always...is your planned riding on hills, or flat land? What are your minimum range and top speed requirements?

Comment

Hey there! OK, so here's sort of what I'm thinking I'll need:

- Flat land, but lots of head winds. I live in the Sacramento, CA valley and the "delta breeze" is no joke.
      - My commute is 15 miles one way, I'd like to be able to do that and back on a single charge. If that means I have to stick a couple 52v bottles in parallel, that's fine.
      - I don't need to go warp speed, but I'd like to be able to sprint to 30mph for at least a couple miles each way. There's a frontage road I want to minimize my time on.

As far as bikes, I have a bit of a bad back/knees and am really fascinated by the Banana's seat. It looks incredibly comfortable. I am tempted to get the Super Banana, get a really high amp battery setup and tune down the Cyclone so it is more about efficiency than top end. I don't want to/need a 40mph top end. 28mph (legal for Pedelecs in my area) is plenty, with maybe a "turbo" type setting I get tap into when I need it.

I'm fine basically having more of a "pedal scooter" than an "electric powered bicycle", but I do need it to be at least believably legal on bike paths, since the only way from my house to work is on a separated bike path. I would obviously limit speed to the legal 20mph on there (when safe).

A different idea I had was to run a BBSHD in a Soul Stomper Billet with a big seat for comfort, but there's just something about that Banana lol...

Comment

I don’t think the Banana seat is as soft as many people seem to think? It was surprisingly hard and actually kinda narrow when I sat on one for a quick look/feel.

That said, it wouldn’t be too difficult to upgrade the seat with something perhaps from a moto or upholstry shop if it bothers you? And all that space in the cradle frame screams for a cargo basket solution IMO.

But, if you’re looking for something which doesn’t telegraph “motorized” I doubt the Banana will be very stealthy, in that regard.

I ride a Fat Tire 26" wheel with BBSHD and cruising 25-28 MPH flat pavement I use about 10Ah riding 15 miles from a Luna Shark 52v 13.5Ah GA pack. Great pack and if I needed to double that range I'd simply carry 2 (27Ah total) and swap them out when one runs empty. I wouldn't bother paralleling them.
        Last edited by ykick; 05-07-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I agree with not paralleling the batteries. I use two minis that way, when one runs out I'm about ready to take a break anyway while I plug in the second. Plus I think there is an increased safety factor keeping them separate.

Comment

Great info here guys. I really wish I could find someone near me with a ruckus/banana that I could sit on. I've heard people say they're comfy, but others say they're weird.

YKick, which bike do you have? Was it a DIY you put together? For a while I was dreaming of doing a flat-tracker style bike with dual-crown fork, fat tires and a BBSHD, but I'm not sure I have the chops my first time out of the gate. On the other hand, I have the bike experience (worked in a bike/ski shop for about 5 years) so I have that side of it covered. Then again, back then we had 2 kinds of headsets, 2 kinds of BB, and one size of mountain bike wheel LOL. The bike world has definitely changed a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatPanther View Post
              Great info here guys. I really wish I could find someone near me with a ruckus/banana that I could sit on. I've heard people say they're comfy, but others say they're weird.

YKick, which bike do you have? Was it a DIY you put together? For a while I was dreaming of doing a flat-tracker style bike with dual-crown fork, fat tires and a BBSHD, but I'm not sure I have the chops my first time out of the gate. On the other hand, I have the bike experience (worked in a bike/ski shop for about 5 years) so I have that side of it covered. Then again, back then we had 2 kinds of headsets, 2 kinds of BB, and one size of mountain bike wheel LOL. The bike world has definitely changed a bit.
              My Fat Tire is basically a kit build using a Momentum (Giant) Rocker - https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/b...r/white-orange Luna BBSHD and 52V 13.5Ah GA Shark pack.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_182639_zpsr1hf3uqb.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	623.6 KB
ID:	34815

Name:	20170328_115458_zps2cl3liul.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	661.6 KB
ID:	34817
              I like the Momentum it because it has a built-in Beer holder and it sorta matches my Motor Coach. But it’s been a great eBike and my favorite choice for errands even though I have a much more expensive and nicer Cannondale FS (full suspension) at my disposal.

Name:	20170328_182621_zpsibkabnho (1).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	34816
              Other good and possibly better platforms might be the Gravity Monster fat tire?
              Attached Files

Comment

You had me at "built in beer holder" lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatPanther View Post
                  You had me at "built in beer holder" lol
                  Yeah, priorities priorities, LOL…. It’s actually not exclusively for beer but that’s often what’s sitting in there. Oh hell, here’s a few more just because:

Name:	78943D35-2078-43DC-89FD-44A2686CF2FD_zpsjki3lnwl.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	34842Click image for larger version

Name:	20170323_184646_zpsznef0kiz (2).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	34843Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_195353_zpsbmhccngr (1).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	34845
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Basic crap Walmart had in their bike dept around $15. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Spor...&wl13=&veh=sem

I also reshaped the top hoops to better hug my bars. Quick removable is expecting too much, IMO. While it can “hang” in place and come on/off quickly I added zip ties to help hold everything better in place. Particularly when it’s not loaded very heavily.

• OptimusPrime
                    OptimusPrime commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It appears like you aren't using a display with your motor. How did you accomplish that? And great bike by the way! Love the color scheme.

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good catch optimus, my display frocked up so I hot wired it as some folks have been known to do: http://www.poweredride.com/info A program cable will do the same thing too, FYI. But I just made a simple jumper using female JST contacts. Be aware, you’re messing with full battery pack voltage and just touching the wrong pin can seriously FUBAR the controller.

Eventually got a replacement 750C seen on this bike for my lame attempt at much needed product info video: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation

It’s not that high of quality bike but damn it does look good in the opinion of many. People always smile when they see this bike - 1st the tires, then color scheme, drink holder and sometimes they even notice the motor/battery kit. But not that often, LOL…

When I overnight in Walmart lots I will often ride up to the store entrance and walk it in to shop some items. Most the greeters ask if it’s a return and I say “no, just my shopping cart”. One of em wanted to put a smiley sticker on it so I chose the headset location.

Someone with sharp eyes might catch that smiley in a few later pics/videos. It fits this bike which always seems to bring a smile to all…
                Working...
                X