Another grinning fool on an eBike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another grinning fool on an eBike.

I've been saving up for an ebike so when the 2016 Townie Go 8i came on sale at REI recently I bought one. I already own a Townie Cruiser 7 and still think it's a great bike after 3 years of use.
    So far, I've ridden about 25 miles in urban conditions on the new Townie. When I can get a day off I plan to try one of the canyons in the mountains above Boulder, where I live.
    The bike is an absolute blast to ride and the 8 speed hub coupled with the 4 electrical assist modes is a very versatile combination. It's a little early to say anything about the brakes and rear hub but the gear ratios seem well thought out and the brakes feel very capable.
    To accommodate the weight of the motor and battery the frame is very stiff so you definitely feel the rough spots. I'm looking at aThudbuster seat post to help with that.
    All in all, a gorgeous and fun bike but damned expensive.

Welcome! That looks like it has a nice comfortable upright high bar pedal forward cruiser sitting position, but doesn't look like a cruiser at all. I can tell you the Thudbuster L-T really works well. Make sure you use the proper elastometers for your weight for best results. Do you mind telling us what the REI sale price was? How many watts and what voltage is the motor?

Keep-On-Grinning! :-)
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
      Welcome! That looks like it has a nice comfortable upright high bar pedal forward cruiser sitting position, but doesn't look like a cruiser at all. I can tell you the Thudbuster L-T really works well. Make sure you use the proper elastometers for your weight for best results. Do you mind telling us what the REI sale price was? How many watts and what voltage is the motor?

Keep-On-Grinning! :-)
      I have 4 1/2" of clearance under the seat and I think the Thudbuster LT requires 5". I"m also trying to determine the diameter of the seat post in order to choose the right TB.
      I had cruiser bars installed on the Townie as I favor an upright position these days and find the bike wonderfully comfortable, just like I do with my Townie Cruiser 7.
      250w and 36v.
      REI took 25% off Electra's retail price. With Boulder's host of taxes, out the door was a little over 2500.00

Comment

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        I may have a virtually new Thudbuster Short-Travel up for sale soon that is 27.2 X 410 if that is a match and of interest. I'm about to switch to a different frame that has a different size seat post ID. Let me know. They really do take all the killer thuds out of your ride.

This is more expensive but it may require less room.http://ridebodyfloat.com/Click image for larger version

Name:	bodyfloat.gif
Views:	114
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	37023

Comment

What pressure are you running in the tires? Try setting them at the minimum pressure on the sidewall - they will still roll just fine, and the ride might improve.

Comment

These seem like fairly fat tires - try lower pressure, if your weight and riding conditions allow. Maybe something around 35 psi or less? Of course, you will loose some efficiency and top end speed on perfectly flat roads, but might gain some on rougher terrain.

Tire pressure makes a huge difference even on full suspension bikes. 40-60 psi on mine feels rough, high 30 feels like I don'don't need the suspension other than for big bumps.

Comment

I've had the Thudbuster LT but decided it was to "tall" for me. I've been super happy with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's pretty much in between the Thudbuster LT and ST, works perfect in my case :D

Comment

• Apaulo15LRV
              Apaulo15LRV commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, man I was eyeballing that (Suntour SP12-NCX) but it was out of stock. So bought the XLC Suspension Alloy Seatpost, $30, Constructed of 6061 T6 aluminum
              45mm of travel. Amazon. It seems to be ok too. Decent reviews. Suntour has excellent reviews. Probably why they bumped the price up....

• theronchaplin
              theronchaplin commented
              Editing a comment
              I hadn't seen that XLC one before. Looks like a nice alternative to the (IMO) expensive suspension seat posts.

Originally posted by theronchaplin View Post
            I've had the Thudbuster LT but decided it was to "tall" for me. I've been super happy with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's pretty much in between the Thudbuster LT and ST, works perfect in my case :D
            The Amazon reviews are sure positive. Amazon didn't show a price but I think I saw a reference to 114.00.

Comment

• theronchaplin
              theronchaplin commented
              Editing a comment
              I think it was $89 when I got it several months ago.

• theronchaplin
              theronchaplin commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that I'm thinking on this, I was turned on to it by someone who got a deal on it from Germany. Something like $75 or close to... was that you OptimusPrime?

• OptimusPrime
              OptimusPrime commented
              Editing a comment
              No. But I was reading that same thread and that is what motivated me to look for one for myself. I got mine from Niagara cycle I believe. That was over a year ago and I couldn't be happier.

Lower the tire pressure until you can start to feel them squirm under load and then add back a few psi. You can probably run those down @ 30ish

Comment

FYI: I checked with my renter's policy company and the Townie is covered under the policy.

Comment

• Rider
                Rider commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great! Do they cover it in-house only or also while out riding it and parked away from home?

I love the thudbuster LT but I have a fairly stiff elastomer setup (1 med, 1 high) and a lot of preload which reduces the travel a bit this what works for me! with the two med and not much preload it was way too soft and too much travel - now it's very nice =]

Comment

I have a few hours of use on this guy, some of it on rough roads, and it has made riding my Townie even more fun. It really works to smooth out bumps and doesn't make a sound. I weigh 195 and the post was good for me out of the box.
                I needed to move it forward about an eighth inch and the seat rails were interfering so I fired up the Dremel and cut off the back ears on the outside seat clamps. That got me that little bit further forward.
                This is a great piece of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
                  This is more expensive but it may require less room.http://ridebodyfloat.com/ Click image for larger version  Name:	bodyfloat.gif Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	37023
                  I just ordered one of these that I will use with my Serfas Cruise gel saddle. I also ordered a Brooks B190.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	thM16SNXH5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	38419

I will set these up separate so I can use them easily on the same or different bikes and then see which is best for me.

Well it stopped raining and the sun is out. Time for a ride.
                  Last edited by calfee20; 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM. Reason: Stopped raining

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Body Float came in and I can't believe how great it is. It feels like a different bike. I am sure any of these seat post solutions will work great. I went with the Body Float because it goes up to 260 pounds so I overload it by only a.............bit.

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Neat design how it's not straight up..probably adds less height that way. I removed my suspension post because it made seat too tall
                Working...
                X