Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New E-bike owner in Bay Area (Also seeking a shop/mechanic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New E-bike owner in Bay Area (Also seeking a shop/mechanic)

    Hello all! Recently purchased a full bike build from Luca Cycles. Loving it.

    But...

    I have found myself on more than one occasion wishing I have a shop or individual to turn to in cases where I need a little help, and I have been unsuccessful so far.

    Anyone know of a shop or mechanic that works on DIY-style e-bikes in the SF Bay, preferably in or near SF?

  • #2
    Hey now I'm in San Francisco work a BBSHD cycle truck working with delivery apps
    good and bad news

    The good news in San Francisco there are several good choices for parts and repair
    Preformance Cyclery is hit and miss for parts Valencia Cyclery is better with parts service is first rate for mechanical

    Now for the electrical part is the bad news there are a few qualified but they ain't cheap
    The New Wheel is a electric specialist shop BUT if you didn't buy from them meter starts at $50 + $45 an hour plus parts

    Now reality
    I don't know what your mechanical apitude is but if you can ride a bike you can learn everything you need from them forums and YouTube videos

    What specific issues have you been having?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dennybot View Post
      Hello all! Recently purchased a full bike build from Luca Cycles. Loving it.

      But...

      I have found myself on more than one occasion wishing I have a shop or individual to turn to in cases where I need a little help, and I have been unsuccessful so far.

      Anyone know of a shop or mechanic that works on DIY-style e-bikes in the SF Bay, preferably in or near SF?
      This guy is awesome: http://www.ebike707.com/

      He is worth the 60 minute drive, trust me! He does it all. He has wired all four of my bikes and fixed my basket case batteries. He is an absolute genius.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Robert Larrison View Post
        ...The New Wheel is a electric specialist shop...
        The New Wheel told me that they do not work on bikes capable of producing more than 750W power due to their liability insurance. Understandable, but not helpful.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dennybot View Post
          Hello all! Recently purchased a full bike build from Luca Cycles. Loving it.

          But...

          I have found myself on more than one occasion wishing I have a shop or individual to turn to in cases where I need a little help, and I have been unsuccessful so far.

          Anyone know of a shop or mechanic that works on DIY-style e-bikes in the SF Bay, preferably in or near SF?
          I have also used Edward Lyen and Ilia Brouk.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Robert Larrison View Post
            Hey now I'm in San Francisco work a BBSHD cycle truck working with delivery apps
            good and bad news

            The good news in San Francisco there are several good choices for parts and repair
            Preformance Cyclery is hit and miss for parts Valencia Cyclery is better with parts service is first rate for mechanical

            Now for the electrical part is the bad news there are a few qualified but they ain't cheap
            The New Wheel is a electric specialist shop BUT if you didn't buy from them meter starts at $50 + $45 an hour plus parts

            Now reality
            I don't know what your mechanical apitude is but if you can ride a bike you can learn everything you need from them forums and YouTube videos

            What specific issues have you been having?
            My biggest issue is a loose motor. I may be able to fix it with a bracket from CA Ebikes, bit have never even pulled a crank.

            Comment


            • #7
              I doubt you need that bracket
              you just need to adjust it properly

              If you have the the proper tools and would like me to walk you through it I can
              sometimes the interweb has to much info

              Just about anything bike mechanical I'll read Sheldon Brown twice before I do anything
              Last edited by Robert Larrison; 6 days ago.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dennybot View Post

                My biggest issue is a loose motor. I may be able to fix it with a bracket from CA Ebikes, bit have never even pulled a crank.
                YouTube instructional videos combined with reading would have you pulling your crankset.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Robert Larrison View Post
                  I doubt you need that bracket
                  you just need to adjust it properly

                  If you have the the proper tools and would like me to walk you through it I can
                  sometimes the interweb has to much info

                  Just about anything bike mechanical I'll read Sheldon Brown twice before I do anything
                  Thanks... I have read lots of Sheldon's posts. I'm just not used to doing anything with bicycles other than changing a tube.

                  I didn't even realize there was an "inner nut" that keeps the motor tight against the lower bracket.

                  I've ordered a spanner wrench that is open, so I don't have to pull the crankset. Hopefully that's all I need to do, and I'll carry that wrench with me on rides in case the motor "drops" again.

                  DV

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Head over to Preformance and pick up this http://www.performancebike.com/webap...400154__400154
                    get some TriFlow oil and Park Tools PPL-1 grease

                    Now he's your chance to shine lots of peeps have trouble with their cranks getting loose
                    Read Browns info about crank arms and you won't have that problem

                    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/...ng-cranks.html

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X