Tadpole recumbents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tadpole recumbents

Hi folks, new to the neighborhood here. I have ridden all my life but last month bought my dream bike, a 2002 Greenspeed GTO tadpole recumbent. She's a beauty. I want to power her with the Cyclone 3000 and build my own battery pack. I have some experience in both but would surely welcome ANY advice from you folks that have been there and done that! My basic idea was to utilize the ample room behind the seat for the motor (direct drive to rear hub) and put my battery pack in the same area, keeping it as low as possible so I don't mess with my GTO's excellent low center of gravity. For those of you that aren't familiar with this trike, it has a large "S & S" coupling in the middle of the main frame which allows you to break this fine machine down to fit into two large suitcases, suitable for airline travel anywhere in the world! It was exactly the one I wanted and the price was outstanding. Sooooo, my thinking here was to try and mount it with the same ease as the rest of the bike for disassembly, if that is even possible. I have researched the Cyclone extensively and totally understand that it can be a bit of a loose cannon. That's exactly why I want it! There is very little hands on information for a high powered diy recumbent available on the net, and I would really like to avoid costly or time eating mistakes, so I eagerly place my fate in your hands! Good or bad guys, I can take it. Am I expecting too much? Is this too much power for this machine? I will await any input at all from this groups vast wealth of knowledge! Respectfully, Charles

"too much power?" is that rhetorical question? There is a member that claims they are sold out everywhere. Not the easiest to install but looks like you get your moneys worth.

Comment

Originally posted by chaswalk View Post
      Hi folks, new to the neighborhood here. I have ridden all my life but last month bought my dream bike, a 2002 Greenspeed GTO tadpole recumbent. She's a beauty. I want to power her with the Cyclone 3000 and build my own battery pack. I have some experience in both but would surely welcome ANY advice from you folks that have been there and done that! My basic idea was to utilize the ample room behind the seat for the motor (direct drive to rear hub) and put my battery pack in the same area, keeping it as low as possible so I don't mess with my GTO's excellent low center of gravity. For those of you that aren't familiar with this trike, it has a large "S & S" coupling in the middle of the main frame which allows you to break this fine machine down to fit into two large suitcases, suitable for airline travel anywhere in the world! It was exactly the one I wanted and the price was outstanding. Sooooo, my thinking here was to try and mount it with the same ease as the rest of the bike for disassembly, if that is even possible. I have researched the Cyclone extensively and totally understand that it can be a bit of a loose cannon. That's exactly why I want it! There is very little hands on information for a high powered diy recumbent available on the net, and I would really like to avoid costly or time eating mistakes, so I eagerly place my fate in your hands! Good or bad guys, I can take it. Am I expecting too much? Is this too much power for this machine? I will await any input at all from this groups vast wealth of knowledge! Respectfully, Charles
      I am Recumbent Rider that is very familiar with Recumbent Trikes. Personally if I were you, if I was going to consider using a Mid Drive on an older Trike like a Greenspeed GTO I would be concerned about the strength of the frame. If you want to lay that question to rest you could email Ian the owner and designer of GreenSpeed Trikes and I am sure he will be happy to answer your question in a few days.

Just out of curiosity is there any reason you are opposed to using a Hub motor in the rear wheel? I just returned from Photographing Recumbent Cycle Con and the setups being used on the New Trikes are Hub Motors and from what I saw it seems that just about every manufacturer has adopted the Shimano Steps motor into their line. So on a Trike you have an option of a Shimano Steps and/or Hub motor. In addition the was a self contained Copenhagen Wheel which has the motor, controller, and battery all in the rear wheel and will mount on any bike or trike that can take a 26 inch or 700cc wheel and it is operated by a program loaded into your Android or iPhone by the manufacturer who happens to be in the USA.

I really hope you can still travel with your GTO in two suit cases as the Airline requirements for suitcase sizes keep changing. S&S couplers are very nice to have.

If you do decide to go with Hub Motor in your rear wheel make sure you get a set of Torque Arms V4 from Grin Technologies to keep everything in place.

From Grin Technologies Page:

" Torque arms are used to prevent axle rotation in hub motors. When a hub motor is powered up running, for all the torque that the motor generates spinning a wheel forwards, there is an equal and opposite torque on the axle causing it to rotate backwards.

In most electric bicycle hub motors, the axle is machined with flats on either side which key into the dropout slot and provide some measure of support against rotation. In many cases this is sufficient.

However, in high power systems that generate a lot of torque, or in setups with weak dropouts, the forces present can exceed the material strength and pry the dropout open. When that happens, the axle will spin freely, wrapping and severing off the motor cables and potentially causing the wheel to fall right out of the bike. "

Jason

Comment

• chaswalk
        chaswalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your solid information ComicDon1. The hub motors I have looked at are way too heavy and simply don't climb very well. The BBSO2 is an excellent middle ground choice and reading he triketech article confirmed it for me. It also looks like I can have the Bafang installed in an afternoon. The Cyclone has been known to frustrate many installers that have a lot more experience than myself. Luna Cycles has an excellent price on it right now. Done deal. I still would like talk to someone at Greenspeed though, Trike tech mentioned that the length of the boom extension can cause it to twist from the torque and weight of the Bafang at the very end of the boom. I am 6'-5" and have extended that boom about as far as it will go. It appears I'm not out of the woods yet, close though
        Last edited by chaswalk; 10-14-2017, 12:23 AM.

Here is a link to installing a Bafang BBSO2 on an HP Scorpoion FS 26 Tadpole by one of the more experienced fellows from our forums. He has a really good and helpful write up here for those that might be interested.

​​​​​​http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/.../MidDrive.html

Jason

Comment

• allbentover
        allbentover commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Jason. That link was helpful.

Originally posted by chaswalk View Post
      When the forum first started there was a member with a Cyclone Trike. He has been inactive for quite a while but his posts are still here. Just search "trike" and go to the oldest posts. Here are a couple of his videos.

Alpha One 6000W tadpole e-Trike (Cyclone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC8MRwvgUM
      Alpha Two Cyclone 3000W tadpole e-Trike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkakVw8yY8E
      Electric Cyclone 3000W eBike "power mod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weSmz_h3Ig

Comment

Its great you posted this but you need to mention he started with a KMX Trike which is a Steel Trike and then mounted a Cyclone Motor on it. There may be something called a Cyclone Trike that is manufactured out there but this isn't it. There are still some Steel Tadpole and Delta Trike Manufactured but most are made out of Aluminum these days.

That is why I mention that he might contact Ian Simms (The Owner of Green Speed) to find out if the front boom will be strong enough to support the Cyclone motor and its Torque. The GTO is a special Trike and if he cares about it and I bet he does he will want to be sure the frame is up to the task.

After doing a quick search on the net, I found the specs on the Greenspeed GTO at the Peter the Bicyclemans website.

Here is a link to the Specs:

http://www.bicycleman.com/greenspeed...cumbent-trike/

Jason

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey I found a trike that had Cyclone mounted, that's all. Chaswalk asked about a cyclone. It is up to him to read the threads and figure out what to do. That is what DIY is all about. What was I supposed to do research and read for an hour and then write an essay on what I have found to make it easy.

Oh and BTW the boom on a KMX is Aluminum.
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM. Reason: Smoothed it out a little.

• ComicDom1
          ComicDom1 commented
          Editing a comment
          You stated in your post that there was a member with a Cyclone Trike which was incorrect and then proceeded to post links to videos. As I pointed out it was a steel KMX trike with a Cyclone motor mounted on it.

Yes the OP was asking about a Cyclone 3000 motor and building his own battery pack. Part of the reason I choose to participate in a forum setting is to be helpful to others. If that means providing information, helping make something easier for them to understand, or suggesting to them they explore certain safety issues before they start or continue, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the intent or purpose of those comments. For example if the Boom on the Greenspeed GTO was unable to handle the Torque of the Cyclone 3000 Motor, don't you think chaswalk the OP would be unhappy if he attempted to make it work and he damaged his trike?

Did I ever mention anything specific about the KMX Boom? I only mentioned it was a Steel Trike ( which the trike itself is).

Jason
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 10-11-2017, 05:00 PM. Reason: Smoothed it out a little bit.

calfee20 and ComicDom1 I did edit out some of the "warmer" parts of the comments above. You might want to go in and check/edit the comments affected to make sure that I left all of the etrike information that you wanted to convey. I apologize if I overstepped my bounds. Ride on!
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick response folks. Yes, of course I would be pretty upset if I damaged my bike. I have tried to contact Greenspeed and have received no response. It seems I heard somewhere that Ian Sims had passed on, but I don't know. I do know that my frame is chromoly and seems incredibly sturdy but saying that the boom assembly like Jason said could be a problem..I found it kind of odd that there seems to be no mods to a Greenspeed GTO anywhere on the net and I have spent countless hours researching. I have a feeling that the Greenspeed folks would rather not get involved with a mod that is not in the spirit of what the trike was meant to be in the first place. Mr Sims and what I know of him doesn't seem like the type to condone a 3000w electric behemoth on one of his masterpieces! But I regress, I will quit shooting for the moon and go with what ComicDom1 suggested and purchase the Bafang BBSO2 or similar. If it's good enough for the HP Scorpion it surely must be good enough for me. Thanks again guys, very informative and helpful. See you on the road, Charles

Comment

• ComicDom1
            ComicDom1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ian Sims is very much alive. I saw both him and his wife as I photographed Recumbent Cycle Con in Philly this last weekend. Ian is most likely on his way home to Australia.

Jason

I found only one on endless sphere. There isn't much info to go with it but the owner of the trike certainly traveled a lot on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cm_MyrtleSylvia1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	48194

Here is her web site. http://www.myrtletheturtle.me/index.html

The BBS02 is a good choice. It is lighter than a BBSHD and almost as powerful. Keeping weight off of the front is important because it is possible to lift the rear wheel during braking with a trike from what I have read.

Comment

Sylvia (myrtletheturtle) is on another forum I am on. She now rides an HP Scorpion FS but she may still have her Green Speed GTO. Sylvia still travels.

This is her new blog.

​​​​​​http://travelsbytrike.blogspot.com

I bet she would be happy to talk to you. If you cannot find contact information just let me know and I can try to put you in touch. Sylvia has been using an Eco-speed 700W motor on her GTO.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Comment

Wow, thanks ComicDon1 and Calfee20! I have to assume this trike is fairly rare with so little info available out there. This is a good start though and I will take advantage of it. And Ian Simms, what can I say, he is probably healthier than all of us. That's what I get for believing those darn silly internet rumours! Tata for now folks! I have to call my new online "wife to be" I found in the personals. You know, the princess from Uganda whose father was the president for a short period of time, overthrown by rebels and banished from the country? All I have to do is send her $25000, she can get her father reinstated as ruler, we will be married and living in the lap of luxury in Kampala! It's my lucky day!

Comment

I got this info from LUNA:--- "The main thing you need to know is if your bottom bracket shell has threads on the inside, It pretty much means your style of bottom bracket will likely take the BBS motor without needing an adaptor. Threaded bottom bracket shells are called JIS or BSA standard and this is what the Bafang motor kit was designed to work with. The inside diameter of your JIS-BSA shell should be 33.8mm +/- .2mm. Check it. Twice."---
                Sounds good, BUT
                I have an ICE Adventure HD FS and have not a clue as to whether its bottom bracket has threads on the inside and if it does whether it is this size. Any of you good folks know?
                Thanks.
                (I suppose I could tear it down and find out for myself, but asking here seems like the saner approach. ;-)

Comment

Albentover you could write Chris the owner of Ice ( really good guy) and I am sure he will provide you with the information you need. Here is a link to their website: http://www.icetrikes.co.uk/

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X