Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance. I am planning two builds.

My first project will be to install a BBS02 or BBSHD on an aluminum frame Windsor road bike from BikesDirect. The second will be to install similar kit on my wife's aluminum frame 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 or 2005 Bianchi Via Narone. We ride 10-15 miles each day, in town with great bike lanes. Some of the hills seem steeper since we turned 60.

If I thought the frame could handle it, I would think about installing a Cyclone kit on her bike, but that can wait.

Again, just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your experience, comments, advice and help.

Comment

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      10-15 miles pedal assist is pretty easy. Lots of battery options to get that so you should have options for mounting too.

If you are planning on 2 bikes I would go for using as many as the same parts as possible. Its just handy for troubleshooting and spares if one person isn't as into it as expected. It sounds like BBS's would be a little overkill for your rides but if you have the budget better to go over than under.

Quick glance at those bikes (maybe not the correct images) doesn't look like any have disc brakes. The BBS's can really get going pretty fast so being able to stop quickly becomes more important. For sure if you are looking at Cyclone I would say disc brakes would be required. New pads would always be recommended since old ones tend to get hard and less grippy.

hello riders, I need a motor to help the wheel spin :-). Cheers,

Comment

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      That is why we are here, we all think we need that. Hard part is figuring out which style on what bike and then the new twist as of 2020 finding one in stock to purchase.

Newbie here. Southern California grandpa. Hello all.

Comment

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome. Start up your own thread and tell us what you are working on or thinking about. Or join in on a recently active thread that interests you. Note the dates, if its an older thread and you are hoping for some sort of reply you can click on the names under the avatars to the left and see when the people you hope to hear from were last online.

Hello everyone..i need a 48v.lcd display with thumb throttle & waterproof connection..help please

Comment

Greetings all. I bought an eBike a couple of years ago and did nothing with it for very boring reasons. I have just thought of getting out and about again and found that the battery would charge but would very quickly go flat. The battery is a 36v 8ah battery with what I understand to be a separate charge and discharge lead. Is this correct?
      Is there any info about how these batteries are connected, like is there some sort of electronic control inside? A generic wiring diagram would be great.
      Thanks
      Richard

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, the electronic internals would vary a lot depending on the bike, there's not really a generic diagram that would be applicable here.

From your description it sounds like the battery is probably dead from sitting long time and you need a new battery.

Hello innovators, looking for info to build a Levo SL fighter!

Comment

New to ebikes been researching for past month and it looks like mid drive is the best way to go but i just cant afford that type of money so i think im gonna go with 48 v 1000w rear hub motor i have a few bikes that i can build into an ebike im pretty sure im gonna build my 26' full suspension Norco mountain bike that already has the nice disk brakes with brake fluid instead of disk brakes with cable and a specialized dropper seatpost the bike on my avatar picture is the bike i think im gonna build but what does everyone prefer for a throttle THUMB THROTTLE OR GRIP THROTTLE ?????????

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer thumb throttle. Less likely to whiskey throttle if using a thumb throttle.

i hope i didnt just post this to wrong section im totally new and dont know what sticky post unless thats a post you write after eating a caramel apple wait this is the ebike comedy section right ??? im kidding please bare with me that im posting in right area ill figure it out I cant wait to get ebike going to see what fun everyone is talking about ive never even test rode an ebike yet but i do ride moutain bikes on dirt trails and rode bikes on street all around the bay area ive rode to the top of mount diablo ive rode all the way around lake chabot in castro valley thats 15 miles long ive rode across The Golden Gate Bridge the dumbarton bridge from fremont Ca to sunnyvale Ca through out the silicon valley ive rode bike by facebook by google and by EA sports headquarters and even rode by the really cool looking buildings with little lakes in between them and even a sailing racing yaught at the ORACLE headquarters and ride right by TESLA FACTORY im sorry ill stop braging lol basicly im saying i love riding bikes already when i get some juice going id imagine it will be Great Fun im 53 years old divorced kids are grown and ready to ebike with my little buddy my dog marley half chiwawa half weiner dog a CHIWeinie im gonna build a custom dog cage on my front rack for some fishing adventures with my buddy Happy ebiking everyone !!!

Comment

Thanks for supporting the sport.

Comment

Hi, searching for suggestions on installing and operating a Bafang BBS-02 48V 750W kit. Installing on a Catrike Expedition.

Comment

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              There have been a few trike projects talked about on this site. Other than needing some extension cables for things which are readily available and having to get a bit creative with some of the control mounting I don't recall hearing about a lot of issues.

Trikes usually seem to need all the power they can get so it seems like most of them go with the BBSHD. One reason they may need more power is you loose the ability to run the tripple chain ring up front so if you want both low speed and high speed on the same rig you are going to be asking a lot of the motor for one of those conditions.

• Dshue
              Dshue commented
              Editing a comment
              It should be a straight forward install. Measure your bottom bracket shell width and as long as it's less than 73mm wide a BBS02B will fit. Order it with hydraulic brake cut off switches and you probably won't need extensions for the brake wires. Do get the shift sensor and you will likely need an extension cable for it. And have a look at Utah trikes YouTube channel for their videos on installing BBSXX kits on their trikes. https://youtu.be/b0pPhrby2Pw
              Last edited by Dshue; 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM.

• SilverFox
              SilverFox commented
              Editing a comment
              I have mounted the BBS02 kits on 3 Villager Catrikes without any problems. It was my suggestion that they use the BBS02 since it has the longer wheelbase and with one rider. All are satisfied with the performance of 22-24mph. I refused to mount a motor on a Catrike Pocket because of its very short wheelbase.

Also mounted a BBSHD on a Terra Tandem trike due to the extra weight. The Capt on the Terra trike has to be careful when using the throttle to be certain he down shifts to his largest cog before laying on the throttle. During his learning process, he collapsed a 56t ring by using a hard throttle with a small cog. His is running a 60t ring now and enjoys the 30 mph speeds.

Hi, new to this forum. I am just a dude that has built a couple of e-cruisers using front hub motor kits and they are actually fun to ride. Majority experience is helping fix my buddie's GigaByke after he has improved it to the point of not running anymore. I thought this would be a cool forum to join.

Comment

Useless forum
              Last edited by John Keller; 07-13-2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone and thank you for the add. I am new to this forum. I own a four person pedal Surrey Classic ( older model) that I am wanting to add electric mid drive propulsion to. I have searched for 18“ x 2.5“ hub wheels/motors to replace just one drive wheel with the motor. But I’m not having any luck finding one that size. And doing some research, it appears the mid drive motors provide more torque and stability. I am not sure if anyone has ever added a mid drive motor to a Surrey in this forum? That is what I would like to see here. I need help locating this type of information would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Comment

Howdy folks. I’m an electrician of 25 plus years pretty well versed in theory. That said see a lot of contradictory info on the controllers(cheapies) that I see for sale all over. Sk what I’m doing is building a couple bikes for different applications. Beach cruiser which is the easiest as there are no real hills and 20-30 mph is plenty. A mountain bike of hybrid for trail and street in PA which is up hill both ways. Eventually either a street legal motorcycle retrofit or dirt bike. I’m currently playing with completely separate motors in the 5000 rpm range. I’m using a battery and super capacitor combination to allow plenty of amps to be allowed without destroying the battery’s. (I thought of it before Tesla. Just saying) my main question areas at this time are gearing for torque, finding that sweet spot balance of torque and speed, and really want to get into the controller specs as I started saying in the beginning. So for now knowing myself I probably already broke a rule but I’ll get it with a little more guidance. Where would I find the most info on controllers that’s already been posted as I should suck all of that up first. I hope I can be beneficial in other areas for folks and look forward to getting my learn on.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                    Retrorockit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You should start your own thread for this. Maybe one for each bike.
                    30mph is FAST for bicycle parts. Wheels, brakes, tires, and suspension all should be at least mid range MTB spec. parts.
                    Grin Products has an E bike simulator that has a mid drive menu. The graphs and readouts have what you're looking for.
                    https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html
                    Sheldon Browns gear calculator can help you find the bike parts you need.For gear Units MPH@90rpm is useful.
                    https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
                    Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-07-2021, 11:43 AM.

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You could spend a lot of time on endless sphere. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php

• Retrorockit
                    Retrorockit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL The Endless TSDZ2 forum alone is almost 400 pages!

Hi all. I'm doing the research to convert my 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc to an ebike. Found many good sources of info including this forum. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

My commute is about 10 miles each way. One big hill on the home side that has lead me to walk up the long hill to get home. So I'm looking for a boost, not necessarily speed. 250 lb 5' 9" guy trying to keep the body moving, so also not looking for much assist on the flats. Ok, maybe sometimes.

I'll post my initial questions over in that thread.

Moe
                  Last edited by moejurray; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X