X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by KenDarwin View Post
    Hi I am a new member, from Australia. My main interest is building small electric gokarts, using 36V BLDC motors ex hoverboards, but I joined this forum because there is a body of knowledge here about the operation of Hall effect throttles.

I am using Hall foot pedal throttles, connected between a +5VDC supply and ground, and the throttles creep (ie allow the motor to rotate slowly) at zero throttle. I measured the voltage at the slider or wiper of the throttle at zero throttle and it measures +0.869 Volts relative to ground. This is what is causing the creep. At full throttle, the wiper voltage is close to the 5.0 supply voltage .

Can anyone advise please how to eliminate the creep at zero throttle? Thanks in advance.

Regards
    KenDarwin
    Maybe you should post this over in General Discussions.

Leave a comment:

• KenDarwin
    replied
    Hi I am a new member, from Australia. My main interest is building small electric gokarts, using 36V BLDC motors ex hoverboards, but I joined this forum because there is a body of knowledge here about the operation of Hall effect throttles.

I am using Hall foot pedal throttles, connected between a +5VDC supply and ground, and the throttles creep (ie allow the motor to rotate slowly) at zero throttle. I measured the voltage at the slider or wiper of the throttle at zero throttle and it measures +0.869 Volts relative to ground. This is what is causing the creep. At full throttle, the wiper voltage is close to the 5.0 supply voltage .

Can anyone advise please how to eliminate the creep at zero throttle? Thanks in advance.

Regards
    KenDarwin

Leave a comment:

• moejurray
    replied
    Hi all. I'm doing the research to convert my 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc to an ebike. Found many good sources of info including this forum. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

My commute is about 10 miles each way. One big hill on the home side that has lead me to walk up the long hill to get home. So I'm looking for a boost, not necessarily speed. 250 lb 5' 9" guy trying to keep the body moving, so also not looking for much assist on the flats. Ok, maybe sometimes.

I'll post my initial questions over in that thread.

Moe
    Last edited by moejurray; 10-02-2021, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    LOL The Endless TSDZ2 forum alone is almost 400 pages!

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    You could spend a lot of time on endless sphere. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    You should start your own thread for this. Maybe one for each bike.
    30mph is FAST for bicycle parts. Wheels, brakes, tires, and suspension all should be at least mid range MTB spec. parts.
    Grin Products has an E bike simulator that has a mid drive menu. The graphs and readouts have what you're looking for.
    https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html
    Sheldon Browns gear calculator can help you find the bike parts you need.For gear Units MPH@90rpm is useful.
    https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-07-2021, 11:43 AM.

• Lord Zene
    replied
    Howdy folks. I’m an electrician of 25 plus years pretty well versed in theory. That said see a lot of contradictory info on the controllers(cheapies) that I see for sale all over. Sk what I’m doing is building a couple bikes for different applications. Beach cruiser which is the easiest as there are no real hills and 20-30 mph is plenty. A mountain bike of hybrid for trail and street in PA which is up hill both ways. Eventually either a street legal motorcycle retrofit or dirt bike. I’m currently playing with completely separate motors in the 5000 rpm range. I’m using a battery and super capacitor combination to allow plenty of amps to be allowed without destroying the battery’s. (I thought of it before Tesla. Just saying) my main question areas at this time are gearing for torque, finding that sweet spot balance of torque and speed, and really want to get into the controller specs as I started saying in the beginning. So for now knowing myself I probably already broke a rule but I’ll get it with a little more guidance. Where would I find the most info on controllers that’s already been posted as I should suck all of that up first. I hope I can be beneficial in other areas for folks and look forward to getting my learn on.

Leave a comment:

• KickStar
    replied
    Hello everyone and thank you for the add. I am new to this forum. I own a four person pedal Surrey Classic ( older model) that I am wanting to add electric mid drive propulsion to. I have searched for 18“ x 2.5“ hub wheels/motors to replace just one drive wheel with the motor. But I’m not having any luck finding one that size. And doing some research, it appears the mid drive motors provide more torque and stability. I am not sure if anyone has ever added a mid drive motor to a Surrey in this forum? That is what I would like to see here. I need help locating this type of information would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• John Keller
    replied
    Useless forum
    Last edited by John Keller; 07-13-2021, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Breck
    replied
    Hi, new to this forum. I am just a dude that has built a couple of e-cruisers using front hub motor kits and they are actually fun to ride. Majority experience is helping fix my buddie's GigaByke after he has improved it to the point of not running anymore. I thought this would be a cool forum to join.

Leave a comment:

• SilverFox
    commented on 's reply
    I have mounted the BBS02 kits on 3 Villager Catrikes without any problems. It was my suggestion that they use the BBS02 since it has the longer wheelbase and with one rider. All are satisfied with the performance of 22-24mph. I refused to mount a motor on a Catrike Pocket because of its very short wheelbase.

Also mounted a BBSHD on a Terra Tandem trike due to the extra weight. The Capt on the Terra trike has to be careful when using the throttle to be certain he down shifts to his largest cog before laying on the throttle. During his learning process, he collapsed a 56t ring by using a hard throttle with a small cog. His is running a 60t ring now and enjoys the 30 mph speeds.

• Dshue
    commented on 's reply
    It should be a straight forward install. Measure your bottom bracket shell width and as long as it's less than 73mm wide a BBS02B will fit. Order it with hydraulic brake cut off switches and you probably won't need extensions for the brake wires. Do get the shift sensor and you will likely need an extension cable for it. And have a look at Utah trikes YouTube channel for their videos on installing BBSXX kits on their trikes. https://youtu.be/b0pPhrby2Pw
    Last edited by Dshue; 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM.

• 73Eldo
    commented on 's reply
    There have been a few trike projects talked about on this site. Other than needing some extension cables for things which are readily available and having to get a bit creative with some of the control mounting I don't recall hearing about a lot of issues.

Trikes usually seem to need all the power they can get so it seems like most of them go with the BBSHD. One reason they may need more power is you loose the ability to run the tripple chain ring up front so if you want both low speed and high speed on the same rig you are going to be asking a lot of the motor for one of those conditions.

• dlfred1
    replied
    Hi, searching for suggestions on installing and operating a Bafang BBS-02 48V 750W kit. Installing on a Catrike Expedition.

Leave a comment:

• Growbur
    replied
    Thanks for supporting the sport.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X