Greetings from frozen Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from frozen Iowa

Seemed like it was about time to climb on board this electric bike crazy train and see where it goes. I have been riding, building and modifying bikes for many years and have recently caught the electric bug. My first project was a rear geared hub install for my sister in Wisconsin who was having knee issues and had stopped riding altogether. I have another project for a friend in town, a front hub motor to help him get out on the bike trail which has till now thwarted him because of the hills. Yes, Iowa does have hills! Just ask anyone who has been on RAGBRAI. I'm sure I will be pestering you with questions as time goes by but for now I'll sign off and peruse the site. Thanks all!

Ah yes Iowa home to Laura soybeans. Welcome and perhaps do a mid-motor build next time around.

Comment

Thanks! I don't know anything about Laura soybeans but I do know that Laura Ingalls Wilder, who wrote the Little House on the Prairie books, lived just up the road from here in the little town of Burr Oak. Her ma and pa ran the hotel in town and that building is now a museum and world wide tourist attraction. It is the only home Laura lived in that is still standing in it's original location. My daughter served as a tour guide there for two summers and people really do travel from all over the world to visit.

As for the mid drive build, it has to wait it's turn! I still have a Zoomi Monterey that is getting a total rebuild. After that is a Terra trike that may get the mid drive, however I am concerned about the Sram 8-speed internal drive; will it hold up to the extra torque? Hate to find out the hard way.

Comment

It has been discussed that when adding the power of a motor that a 3 speed may very well suffice.

Comment

Working...
        X