Hello from Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Michigan

I just picked up a fatbike to electrify. After a bit of research, I've settled on a BBSHD running on 52 volts, with a battery pack that fits in a backpack, as stealth is somewhat of a concern. I'm still kind of foggy about controllers, I have lots more reading to do, and any advice offered (although I'm sure oft repeated) would be closely read... Having a wife who seems interested, it looks like I'll be building up two bikes. Excited to become a member of the community!

Woof Woof
    Last edited by oddball; 12-18-2017, 04:52 AM.

Welcome and that looks like a great platform. I'm not so sure backpack batteries are all that but if it works for you great.

Hard to beat cradle packs IMO. Riding with a tether cable gets old in my opinion. Cradle packs pop in and out very quickly for loading on the bike carriers or taking on public transportation or you need to walk/ride by a park ranger. If a battery pack is nowhere to be seen is it an electric bike?

I don't understand your comment regarding controller? The BBSHD controller is mounted to the motor as part of one unit.

If you're talking about the dashboard or display now that's something to determine what is best for you. But they are not called controllers. A controller goes between the battery and the motor.

I would recommend it least one color dash display unit because they display wattage as well as voltage which is helpful to better understand the power dynamics of BBSHD.

Comment

• oddball
      oddball commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome! I will certainly think about that battery set up, possibly something that could go in a bag on a cargo rack... I hear you about loads in a backpack, but there will be times when I would like to be stealthy as possible...

I was not aware that the controller is built right in to the motor case, that simplifies things for me somewhat, still need to get a handle on what will blow one and what is considered easy duty...

Thanks for the advice!

BBSHD is rated 1000 W continuous power for 100% duty cycle. WOT or full power from a fresh battery can see peaks of 1500 to 1600 Watts.

Peak power is OK for a burst or two perhaps a short hill or pulling away from a stop. Trouble is, longevity may likely suffer if you ride it at peak power too much, too far or for too long.

This is why I recommend a color dash display because it has a wattage meter and over time new users will begin to understand the power scaling of the PAS system.

Eventually you probably wouldn't need the power meter once you understand PAS levels and simply ride in a level delivering only rated power.

Majority of common programming Bafang mid drives (02/HD) PAS 6-7 is usually the "safe" maximum continuous power levels.

Of course need to enable all 9 PAS modes in the dashboard display advanced settings menu to see/use PAS 6-7.

"I'm grabbing some waves."
    Last edited by ykick; 12-18-2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• oddball
      oddball commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, so I was ready to pull the trigger yesterday when I ran into the crux of the buscuit; the bb... I have a 100 mm shell with a pf30 bb. I can't find an adapter for a 100 mm shell. I see there are two piece adapters, and I don't know why they have to overlap in the shell? Do you have any advice on this?

I have a focus on stealth (primarily for night time) and frankly when you have a BBSHD motor hanging on the front of the bike a battery on the downtube or rear rack isn't what gets peoples attention. My bike is darn near invisible at night (by design) and what makes it stick out during the day isn't the electrics - it's the 4.7" tires =]. The battery on the rear rack gets mistaken for a "trunk" and the one on the downtube will generally only grab attention after they notice the motor hanging out in front of the crank...

Comment

I finally got around to taking a few pics of the bike I built for my wife... I went with the SA hub because she has enough to worry about just being on a bike, lol... The Surly chain tensioner should arrive today, allowing me to complete this thing. The toughest part of this build is going to be figuring out a battery... I can fit one of the minis inside the frame, and one in a seat bag, but I'd really like to accommodate 18 Ah at least, seeing as how I have that monster 24 Ah triangle batt on mine... I ended up leaving the orange bike alone and picked up a Motobecane Lurch for myself. It has the Bluto up front, and a HUGE triangle to put a bag in...

Last edited by oddball; 04-26-2018, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        Nicely done and in Meeeshigan no less.
    Working...
    X