first question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first question

Hi everyone. I'm new. Motorcycle rider my whole life but older now. Love tech, hard and soft. I build stuff all the time.
    I'm contemplating a build with a Mongoose Malus, BAFANG BBSHD MID DRIVE EBIKE KIT, and 52V PANASONIC 13.5AH SHARK PACK, both from Lunacycle
    Is this going to mostly just bolt in? Will the crank work? What should I look out for on the basic build? I expect to do upgrades but this is the basic platform.

Thanks in advance

This a super fun hobby and a ridiculous amount of research (Google and reading) pays huge dividends. Learn all about all of the bike's parts: drivetrain, headset, hubs/wheels/tires, electronics. This is the time to geek out. When the time comes to troubleshoot, the knowledge gained from all that reading will help you tremendously. You will likely become an expert on both the Mongoose Malus and the BBSHD.

On my first few projects, I had the LBS and local electronics techs do what I was incapable of executing at the time. I later learned how to do all of that stuff, but having a knowledgeable professional do the work is good for safety and minimizing frustration. Buying tools and diving in is even better. YouTube will be a tremendous help for showing you how to execute tasks. Google is your friend for troubleshooting.

Being patient is good. I don't like to make compromises, but being a perfectionist can get expensive quickly. Be prepared to redo stuff (maybe even a few times, this is normal). Not everything will go smoothly. Some parts may have to be returned either because you mistakenly order the wrong part or they ship a defective part.

Safety is king. I 100% nerd out on a reflective vest, lights front and rear, gloves, goggles, helmet, gloves, obeying traffic laws, etc. Taking the time to look up torque specs and using a torque wrench can save your life.

At some point, completely get a handle on the wiring. Write out a diagram. "This 3-pin connector is the throttle and it connects here, this 5-pin connector is the Hall sensor and it goes here. These wires are 5V, these wires are 52V", etc.

I make lists for my projects with tasks required. Then I list those in order. It is fun to cross off the tasks after you have done them. I found one of my old ebike project lists, and it was three pages long.

I enjoy wrenching on my bikes in a clean shop. I won't do anything until after I clean the shop.

I am very reluctant to spend any money on anything other than bike parts, tools or tuition for bike or welding school. Even doing this, I am still broke. I don't mind working long hours because I know that it will help move my projects along.

I recently had to scale back my projects (which are always bike projects) as much as possible. I did not have the time and money for all that I had planned.

Build what you want and have fun!
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-02-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Cook View Post
      Hi everyone. I'm new. Motorcycle rider my whole life but older now. Love tech, hard and soft. I build stuff all the time.
      I'm contemplating a build with a Mongoose Malus, BAFANG BBSHD MID DRIVE EBIKE KIT, and 52V PANASONIC 13.5AH SHARK PACK, both from Lunacycle
      Is this going to mostly just bolt in? Will the crank work? What should I look out for on the basic build? I expect to do upgrades but this is the basic platform.

Thanks in advance
      I am enjoying my ebikes more now than my Nortons forty years ago.

Comment

• Hard Tail
        Hard Tail commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here calfee. I just sold my Honda dirt bike and don’t think my Triumpth T70 will ever get restored now. Since discovering ebikes a few years ago, I’m on ebike number 6 with 4 builds.

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto! I’ve also given up motorcycles. No longer want to wear all the heavy safety gear or mess with insurance and registration. Also like the ability to ride bicycle trails away from cars and crazy drivers; trails motorcycles can not ride on. I’m about three years into returning to bicycles and E-bikes in my late 50’s and enjoying it. On my 5th E-bike and 4th E-bike custom build (the first one was a KHS 200 MTB with a Bafang BBS01 350W/36V built by a shop and used as a physical therapy recovery program after a bilateral hernia surgery). Hoping my current build will be my last and hope to hit the Eastern Serria’s here in California for some overnight fishing trips; possibly even a Catalina Island romp too.

• Hard Tail
        Hard Tail commented
        Editing a comment
        Overnight trips and extended rides, taking it to another level. That’s got me thinking again.

Don’t know what B.B. a Mongoose Malus has, but the BBS## motors like standard threaded BB’s best, in the 68-100mm sizes. There are adaptors out there to convert other types of BB’s, but IMHO it is best to start with a bike that already has a standard B.B. and straight down tube for good motor ground clearance. I also prefer to not over-volt manufacturer voltage regarding batteries, but many others go 52V without issues. The one issue that does arise is incorrect readings on your display. There are ways around this with purchase of other displays. Do your research well trying to avoid all the hype and you will be rewarded well with a quality long lasting dependable E-bike.

Also, before you build learn the E-bike laws in your area well, then build your E-bike accordingly for where you plan to use it.

Good luck and have fun!
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
      2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
      2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        Well stated.

I'm not positive, but I think this bike has a 110mm wide bottom bracket - if so, you'd need a 120mm BBSHD kit and possibly an additional spacer kit.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	91BPJNlpdfL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	355.9 KB ID:	66229

Enlarging the front rotor to 180 or maybe 205 wouldn't be a bad idea. Additionally, you might investigate a wider (lower) gearing rear freewheel.
      Last edited by ncmired; 06-03-2018, 08:22 AM.
      BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Thanks all. I ordered the Lunacycle 120mm and await arrival.
        Can I use UPP batteries? And UPP asks for a plug type to be specified? Which one should I order?
        Thanks again in advance.

Comment

I've not had a problem yet with two UPP batteries. They seem to have the advertised AH rating.

I would say the XT90 is a good plug for the battery. but you're going to want to learn how to solder if you don''t already know. Then you can put whatever you want on. Odds are someone will eventually ship you the wrong plug or wrong gender, or one of your old ones will fray and fall off. You want to be able to handle this yourself instead of sending it back to the supplier, which you cannot do anyway with a batterty.

Comment

anyone used this on their BBSHD? Hailong Long Range 52V 17Ah E-Bike Battery

Comment

I'm using some wide cruiser bars and the Luna brake sensor lines on the harness don't reach. Ideally I could find some extensions. Need another 6inches on each side really.
              Anyone solved this problem? I don't see anything like this from Luna. Thanks.

Comment

I'm using some wide cruiser bars and the Luna brake sensor lines on the harness don't reach. Ideally I could find some extensions. Need another 6inches on each side really.
                I have been using these. http://lunacycle.com/bafang-hydrauli...-e-brake-pair/ I get into the installation in my build thread here. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-cruiser/page4

Comment

How about this: https://lunacycle.com/bafang-gear-se...tension-cable/
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	40_speedo_extension_1__23611.1463106203.jpg?c=2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	67988

"Extend your throttle, gear sensor, ebrakes or ebrake sensors (they all use the same connector)"
                  Last edited by ncmired; 06-26-2018, 01:24 PM.
                  BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

thanks so much. not sure why I couldn't find that on their site...maybe the nav?
                    but as is often the case, they are out of stock. Hope the email alert for back-in-stock works. Haven't received one on a few parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X