New BBS02 build in San Francisco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BBS02 build in San Francisco

Hello, new here. First of all, big Thank You to Luna Cycle — you guys are doing a good thing.

I installed a BBS02 kit on my 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail that I’ve had since new. I like this bike a lot, it is light and easy to ride, Fox fork is nice, very adjustible and has a lock-out, pretty nice bike for trails and fun street riding. Install went smoothly, and I have a 48v 11.6ah battery in a Camelback. Bike pulls great.

issue I need to address is, only 3 or 4 middle gears on the rear sprocket are useable, largest and smallest have the chain skipping over them. Rear hub is a Shimano Deore, 9 gears 11-32. Front sprocket is the stock Bafang 46 tooth. Before I start messing with trying to adjust this, is this due to stock gear, is it too close to the frame? I see posts prasing the bling ring for solving chainline issues. Going to try adjusting it more, but at least shakedown run today was a success at 11+ miles of some street, trails and uphill dirt road climbing. This bike is fun!

Stan

You're probably due for a new chain and cassette to go with all that power. It's probably been worn for a while but you got away with it under human power, but that BBS02 is a whole new ball game.

Comment

Chain is brand new. Cassette — maybe.. it ran fine before the swap, had all gears. Now I can’t pedal in lowest or highest, even without power. I’ll try some adjustments first.

Another thing is — maybe I need to shorten my chain more? Stock chain was 108 links, 22/32/44 crankset. This new chain I was told had 114 links, I ended up removing 4 (tried 114 and 112, skipped gears so I shortened).

Stan
      Last edited by stan_t; 06-23-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        There really isn't an adjustment to cure a chain sliding over cassette cogs. If by skipping you mean it's bouncing around between gears, then adjusting the indexing should solve it. I guess we need to establish which "skipping" problem you're having: Is the chain moving forward without the cassette moving, or is it jumping out of gear and bouncing between two cogs?

It skipps teeth. It could be due to bouncing between gears. Chain did come off 3 times, ending up between front sprocket and motor. I will attempt to adjust the derailleur’s L and H screwes and indexing.

stan

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that's aggravating. I'll bet the chain came off on the low gears, which would probably be solved with a Lekkie chainring moving the chainline closer to the frame. You also get the narrow-wide tooth profile with that, which holds the chain better up front. But that's the front end, I think you have a problem at the cassette, too. New builds are fun!

In Luna’s description of the Lekke I did read that it is 9mm offset vs 5mm of the stock ring. As-is, the stock ring is too close to the frame, there is a mm or less of clearance. Higher offset will not even fit unless it’s a lower tooth count, I’m not 100% sold on 42T yet — I like slower peddaling and higher speed of the large front sprocket. Maybe I need a spacer between BB and motor?

You are right, new builds are fun, gotta have projects to keep me busy.

Stan

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah ok, if the 46 is that close then I think your chainline is fine. The chain must be bouncing off because of whatever's going on with the cassette. Hopefully adjusting the indexing solves everything, but you might still need a new cassette depending on how many miles are on it. New chains don't work well on worn cogs.

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree about not going too small on the chainring unless you're riding steep trails. I'm a road rider and my Crust Lightning Bolt has a 52t ring. Speed, baby!

Here — a video is worth 1,000 words, even if it’s crappy quality. I’d re-do it, but I like that song that was on the radio.

I think spacing out the chainring a few mm away from the frame may help. I could get the adapter that’d allow me to use my stock 4-bolt sprockets, also.

https://youtu.be/rVyqIdA7kJE

Thank you for the responses.

Stan
      Last edited by stan_t; 06-24-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch. Yeah, BB flex is going to dig your chainring into the chainstay in no time if you don't get some room there.

Can you post video of the shifting while in the stand? Doing it under power may not be feasible, but you said there's a problem even pedaling unpowered.

I meant pedaling without motor power, but under load. Without load it’s fine.

Gonna come back to it later — free concert at Stern Grove starting soon, Ziggi Marley! Cruises over there on the bike to assess, bike pulls great in highest gear I can stay in without skipping, full throttle gets me to at least 22MPH quickly until I let off. I want the extra 3-4 gears though :-)

Stan

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        Party on!

To bump this up with an update. You were right, the rear cassette was the main problem of chain skipping in higher gears. I replaced the cassette last night with a new Shimano CS-HG400 9-speed 12-36 unit and issue is gone. I also used a spacer to move the chainring away from the chainstay. I am loving the speed of the stock 46T chainstay, but having played around on some trails the 42T Lekkie would be the ticket, it seems. About 70 miles on the electric setup now, loving it!

Also added 3" riser bars last night to make things easier on my back. I like the more upright motorcross bike style setup.

Stan

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, good to see you on the road and happy. Enjoy!
    Working...
    X