Brand new member with a brand new BBSHD and a trike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new member with a brand new BBSHD and a trike

I'm an old man too weak to get up the hills here in Boise. At least that's my excuse for adding a motor to my trike. The BBSHD came yesterday and so far my desk is covered in brake levers, sensors, and wires. If there's any other tadpole trike riders out there who've been through equipping their mount I'd love some advice. Where did you put everything and how did you make the wires reach?

Nick

Hey Nick, there should be some similar builds in the gallery and build directions section. For the wires you probably will need extensions. Mount the motor, plug in the harness and run it as far as you can, then see how short you are for each wire. That is the length of the extension you need for each. Hope that helps!

Comment

Part of the answer to your questions depends on what kind of trike you are using. It will be different if you have direct or indirect steering. What are you putting the BBSHD on? Where are you thinking of putting the battery? I was able to get everything to work on my tandem recumbent trike except for needing to lengthen the power and speed sensor cables.

Comment

Hi Nick, welcome to the group - no motor excuses needed here, especially if it gets you out and about in the great outdoors!

To help getting started, here's some e-assist trike videos and some build links with pictures:
        Be REAL careful regarding "leg suck" and e-assist.
        Last edited by ncrkd; 2 weeks ago.
        1st build, 2016 Priority Eight, BBSHD, Shimano Nexus 8 IGH
        2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
        3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
        4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH, 700C

Comment

Thanks everybody for all the info, I have the trike running but I may change some things as I see better ideas. The trike is Scorpion FS20. So far, I've only extended the power wires and the speed sensor. I only have one brake lever wired, the other one will require an extension. I also bought a gear sensor but I'm not sure I'll use it. My battery is a 48 v Shark mounted on the side of my rear rack on a DIY plate that shares the rack mounting bolts. I guess I should take some photos of all this, maybe not today it's snowing.

Nick

Comment

Working...
          X