Old guy from Ohio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old guy from Ohio

Hi. I'm a 71 year old retiree who wants to convert my daughter's bike to electric. The bike is a nice 21 speed with a heavy-duty aluminum frame. It has 700 type wheels. I have good mechanical and electric skills. I plan on short rides no longer than three-four miles. No big hills, only minor changes in grade. I am a big guy, 260 pounds, so I am going to build a little on the heavy duty side. I have a 44 tooth rear sprocket that I can attach to the left side of the rear wheel. That way I'll still have all 21 speeds available to pedal. I want to mount a 36 volt motor above the rear wheel and drop the chain down vertically to the 44 toother. I plan on using three 12 volt, 18 amp/hour batteries wired in series. Do I need a gear-reduced motor (480 RPM) or just a 2600 RPM without gear reduction?
    I plan on ordering everything (motor, batteries, controller, etc...) from Motor Scooter Parts in California. Andrew there has been very helpful, but I am still not sure what type of motor to get. Thanks for any help or guidance.

~Lee (Bullseye)
    Last edited by bullseye; 03-16-2019, 04:54 AM.

Perhaps you have your reasons for building something that way, but if it were me I would be putting on a standard hub motor - either front or rear. There's a lot less that can go wrong with a hub motor setup. Also when you say 3 x 12 volt batteries, are you talking about SLA batteries? While they may be a little cheaper to buy, they will not last nearly as long as lithium and will weigh an awful lot. I would definitely go with lithium no matter what else you do with the motor.

Also in your proposed design, you would have all the weight - batteries, motor, etc over the rear wheel. It will be quite unbalanced for riding.

Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
      Perhaps you have your reasons for building something that way, but if it were me I would be putting on a standard hub motor - either front or rear. There's a lot less that can go wrong with a hub motor setup. Also when you say 3 x 12 volt batteries, are you talking about SLA batteries? While they may be a little cheaper to buy, they will not last nearly as long as lithium and will weigh an awful lot. I would definitely go with lithium no matter what else you do with the motor.

Also in your proposed design, you would have all the weight - batteries, motor, etc over the rear wheel. It will be quite unbalanced for riding.

Just my humble opinion.
      Thanks for your input and reply. I am going to mount the batteries low, only the motor will over the wheel height. Yes $LA - I am retired and Social Security doesn't give a rat's sprocket about my hobbies. ;-) My budget, daily, fairly short rides, my climate and my health are on which I based my decision(s). I've carried milk and groceries in a handle bar mounted basket and survived - well, at least I'm still here.
      Fred, I really want to know about the motor RPM. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply, Lee

Comment

Just my humble opinion.
        Fred, I have reread your reply and rethought my project. I ordered a Bafang 48 volt front hub kit and a Greenergia Ebike Battery 48V 12AH lithium ion battery. My daughter bought the battery for me as a gift. I am grateful for your advice and guidance. Battery should arrive this coming Monday and the hub kit in two to five weeks - via Slow Boat from China Express. I've been pedaling around the area further and further each day preparing/training for the e-bike. Thanks again for getting me on the right track.
        ~Lee

Comment

Hi guys and gals! I'm a newbie here, a fan of electro bikes from Washington D.C.
          Need a guide on how to write essays? Find it on http://paperwritingservicesreviews.c...-write-essays/

Comment

Just my humble opinion.
            Fred!

THANK YOU for your sage advice. I am so happy with my Bafang front wheel drive kit and battery. It looks and runs great. The battery arrived promptly but the motor/wheel kit took months. Amazon really helped in getting Greenergia to deliver. The box was in shambles but everything was there - loose but okay. I had fun putting it together and it goes like a stripped-azz ape. I ride it everyday weather permits, mostly for fun, but I have used it for errands. Everyone who sees it is fascinated with its range and power.

~Lee

Comment

Working...
            X