Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from San Antonio, TX Bafang BBSHD on Electra Townie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello from San Antonio, TX Bafang BBSHD on Electra Townie

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Electra BBSHD 52V.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	9338 Dolphin pack 13.4ah 52V
    Last edited by yowsa52; 06-21-2016, 07:21 AM.

    #2
    Welcome! Please post some pictures of your Townie, I'm trying to decide between a Townie or a Cruiser myself.

    Comment


      #3
      I have an Electra Lux with a BBSHD using 52V. Love it, if my house burned down, I would get the exact same thing right away with the insurance check.

      Due to popular demand, I am adding a link to my build here:

      When I bought this bicycle, I accepted that the BBSHD might not fit rotated up into the triangle, and I might be forced to buy a completely different bike, or...I
      Last edited by spinningmagnets; 06-23-2016, 03:12 AM. Reason: add link

      Comment


        #4
        Spinningmagnets. Likewise. I think it is a good mix of bike, motor and battery. I have 150miles on it. I ride it with friends on non-hybrids and just don't use as many electrons with them and it allows me to stay up with my 32 yr old son.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
          I have an Electra Lux with a BBSHD using 52V. Love it, if my house burned down, I would get the exact same thing right away with the insurance check
          Do you have a build thread somewhere for your cruiser or some pictures?

          Comment


            #6
            Crank forwards make the best eBikes for committing. No limiting problems with that triangle. I just added Hookworm Maxxix tires to mine! Cushion ride!

            Comment


              #7
              I need to start a thread on my Lux. My most recommended upgrade is a $120 Suntour NCX. If you think swapping-in fatter tires makes for a cushy ride, fatter tires combined with NCX rides like a dream, floating on a cloud. Frame triangle? I rotated the motor up into the triangle, add a large battery, and I still have room left over...

              Upgrades from stock so far:
              Suntour NCX seat-post
              "Pop off" QD pedals, for transport and storage
              toddler seat for grandson

              Planned upgrades:
              left side mirror
              Have a 180mm cable-op disc front brake, upgrade to front hydraulic 200mm disc,
              converting vintage headlight / tail-light shells to an LED
              Cup holder, for my....soda?
              DC/DC converter outputting 12V
              radio
              cargo basket for gloves and sunglasses

              Comment


              • Louis
                Louis commented
                Editing a comment
                Why the Suntour NCX seat-post over the Cane Creek? Other than $$?

              #8
              Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
              I need to start a thread on my Lux. My most recommended upgrade is a $120 Suntour NCX. If you think swapping-in fatter tires makes for a cushy ride, fatter tires combined with NCX rides like a dream, floating on a cloud. Frame triangle? I rotated the motor up into the triangle, add a large battery, and I still have room left over...

              Upgrades from stock so far:
              Suntour NCX seat-post
              "Pop off" QD pedals, for transport and storage
              toddler seat for grandson

              Planned upgrades:
              left side mirror
              Have a 180mm cable-op disc front brake, upgrade to front hydraulic 200mm disc,
              converting vintage headlight / tail-light shells to an LED
              Cup holder, for my....soda?
              DC/DC converter outputting 12V
              radio
              cargo basket for gloves and sunglasses
              Yes, please do start a thread! Sounds so comfortable, I have been wondering about that NCX myself...I have an Electra cruiser seat on order right now for my bike, I may just add in the NCX too.

              Comment


              • CraigAustin
                CraigAustin commented
                Editing a comment
                The NCX is very good, eliminates all the jarring from higher speeds. Tension is easy to adjust too. Just be careful to order Medium vs Hard unless you're really heavy. If you don't mind waiting two weeks it's about $75 shipped from www.bike-discount.de/en (they ship fast overseas but then US customs and USPS are slow).

              #9
              Nice build, yowsa52! I've got a similar build in mine I'll be working on soon, a Townie with a BBS02. If you can think of any gotchas you came across during the build, I'd love to hear em and hopefully avoid em on mine :D

              Comment


                #10
                I'd never heard of this Electra Townie lingo before.
                Seems many members here enjoy them.
                I'm mostly a MTB guy, but open minded about any 2 wheeled vehicle.
                I recently yearned to ride a Hybrid, so I found a Specilaized/Globe model that fit me well and commuted on it to work for a while.
                It's about 5 miles each way, and the Hybrid style bike made my commute about 1 minute quicker either direction. So I sold it to help fund my BBSHD kit for my MTB. My lower back/kidneys love full suspension. ;)

                Comment


                  #11
                  I've had a Thudbuster before, and I was very happy with it. This bike I bought an NCX just to compare them. Either one is a great choice, both work great.

                  Comment


                    #12
                    Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
                    I've had a Thudbuster before, and I was very happy with it. This bike I bought an NCX just to compare them. Either one is a great choice, both work great.
                    DAMN! Always so level headed. I keep hoping for a head to hear comparison and have nearly read it all. I tend to lean to the ST because it seems easier to repair,, replace a block, but as my budget shrinks and I add up the upgrades already in place, saving nearly $70 is an attraction.

                    Comment


                      #13
                      Originally posted by HD Rockhopper View Post
                      I'd never heard of this Electra Townie lingo before.
                      Seems many members here enjoy them.
                      I'm mostly a MTB guy, but open minded about any 2 wheeled vehicle.
                      I recently yearned to ride a Hybrid, so I found a Specilaized/Globe model that fit me well and commuted on it to work for a while.
                      It's about 5 miles each way, and the Hybrid style bike made my commute about 1 minute quicker either direction. So I sold it to help fund my BBSHD kit for my MTB. My lower back/kidneys love full suspension. ;)
                      The slight advantage of the forward crank as well as the completely upright stance is incredibly comfortable. Also the spacial awareness is great. Being fully heads in traffic makes me feel safer. ALSO I don't have to CLIMB onto a seat, or JUMP off the seat. I just put my feet down fully seated. Thus the "flat foot' stance, or description. A real life changing geometry for aging riders. Also easy to mount. I'm adding a step through version to the stable for even easier access.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X