Chain keeps slipping off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain keeps slipping off

My chain keeps slipping off of my LUNA BBHSD chain ring. Any ideas as to why? How can I fix it? Thanks

Comment

Need more info. Rear derailleur? Could be to much chain slack. Worn chain ring. Something cocked out of alignment.

Comment

A narrow-wide chain ring goes a long way to preventing that

I've got a very good chain line, top notch [11sp] derailleur and everything sound but had chain drops every couple of weeks on conventional ring - went [back] to narrow-wide and zero drops in >2000mi

Lots of stuff can contribute though - just that even if everything is good you can still drop chains with regular rings

Comment

That Eclipse 48 tooth narrow-wide chain ring you have should reduce chain drops, although I don't know how well it deals with the 12-speed chain which you have, correct? I though Luna spec'ed 10-speed chain max.

Maybe it depends on the chain brand. You've got the chain and ring narrow to narrow, wide to wide, correct? I'd think you'd have to, with that chain.

I'd start with D.808's suggestions.

Try back-pedaling slowly, while watching how the chain contacts the Eclipse ring - look for any jumps, tooth climbing, etc. Looking for bent chain ring tooth, wavering. Also have a look at the the chain going around the derailleur idler pulleys - may indicate a tight chain link.

When does it drop - random, or in particular gear? What / where do you ride this bike - I'm a bit confused as of it's usage (big chain ring but knobby tires)?
          BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Quite new to the E bike world. But yes it is a 1x12 I don’t ever shift past 10. It typically drops off at the beginning of a pedal cycle. I’ll stop pedaling and then start and boom it’s gone. When it happens I am not going very fast. This is strictly a bike just to ride around neighborhood and maybe a long distance paved ride every now and then nothing crazy.
            SRAM derailleur

I did take a few links off and it hasn’t fallen off yet. But need to ride more tomorrow to make sure.

also do you guys recommend I go to a 9 or 10 cassette size?

thanks
            Last edited by tneu; 01-19-2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing, if you're just starting out you're in a middle-ish rear gear. What side of the chain ring does the chain normally end up on, when it drops?

Did you add links to accommodate the 48 tooth ring? Also, consider that the chain life will be shorter.
              Last edited by ncmired; 01-19-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I did not add links. The new chain was super long so I guessed and took some off. It just fell off again so I’m guessing I took too many chain links off. The chain always ends up on the inside toward the frame. It comes off I think as I let go of the throttle maybe and am slowing down.

Comment

Drops to the inside? Maybe try a cheap, seat tube mounted chain catcher.

Comment

Yes to the inside

Comment

It's because the motor is constantly pulling the chain around so fast and hard that it exceeds the normal operating capacity of MOST bike derailers and chainrings. I had the same issue for months. You can fiddle with trying to get a straighter chain line (mess with front chainring offsets, smaller rear cassettes, etc..) but in the end it will likely still come off from time to time. Especially over bumps and during shifting when there is extra slack and movement in the chain while the motor continues to pull it.

In the end I settled on 7 gears on the rear. I find it's more than enough for the type of riding I do and allows for a smoother chain line. Also I got this product and haven't dropped a chain since:
                      https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Torql...756048&sr=8-13

It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. Also it took some adjusting of my battery to make room to mount it and it may not be a good fit for everyone depending on your setup.

Comment

Yes I also installed a roller top chain guide to solve my problem. They should just put one in the kits. Rolling the bike backwards in a low gear can stilll cause it to come off from the bottom side. Since it's a 1x drive you can look into getting a medium cage derailer instead of a long cage. This helps with chain drop over bumps. 7-8 gears really are enough with a BBSHD. The chain guide is good enough that I can run a flat 50t ring with an adapter and no narrow/wide. I took the gasket out from the side cover to move it in a little. My use is street so power in the 2 lowest gears doesn't matter as much as the top 3. I went to a Surly Stainless Steel ring and as long as I keep the chain lubed (wax based) it works just fine w/o narrow wide. I converted an old 26" 8 speed bike I already owned so my parts list won't apply to you, but a chain guide and regular lube routine works for me.

Comment

Knowing what causes your bike chain to slip off will help you deal with it easily. When your chain is dirty or clogged, the chain slips off. The solution is to clean the chain with a cleaner and degreaser to clear the links of grime. Worn-out gears can also lead to a situation where the chain keeps coming off bike. This type of wear occurs from long periods of use due to the frequent movement of the chain, especially during shifting and the only solution is to have the cassette replaced.
                          Last edited by Robert07; 07-31-2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X