Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500c mini display, fully charged battery only showing 3/4 full on gage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500c mini display, fully charged battery only showing 3/4 full on gage.

I have it set to voltage instead of percentage, and it reads 54.6 to 54.7 volts. My multimeter also confirms this voltage. Again, however, the actual gage on the display only shows my battery to be slightly over 3/4 full. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Steve

I think its something in the firmware of the displays which I don't think can easily be changed or even easily checked to see what version you have. I have 2 500c's both from Luna and a year to two apart. The older one seems to read more accurately at least on the high side. The newer one which I got late summer sounds like it reads more like yours does. On my first ride a actually ran it dead because I was used to looking at the graph on the old one. The new one when its dead its dead, old one you still had a little when it got into the red if you are careful about the sag. I was using the same battery so I know it wasn't just differences in the packs.

Comment

54.6 volts - I assume you're using a 48 volt battery, charged to 100%.

IFAIK, some of the 500C displays can be set for 52 volts (as opposed to 24, 36, and 48), and the display might be automatically determining the setting - what's yours set at? 54.6 volts on a 52 volt battery setting would graphically indicate 75%, I think.

I didn't think any of the displays would properly, graphically indicate the battery percentage for 52 volts, but maybe that's changed - why else would they have added the 52 volt setting?
      Last edited by ncmired; 2 weeks ago.
      BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Originally posted by ncmired View Post
        54.6 volts - I assume you're using a 48 volt battery, charged to 100%.

IFAIK, some of the 500C displays can be set for 52 volts (as opposed to 24, 36, and 48), and the display might be automatically determining the setting - what's yours set at? 54.6 volts on a 52 volt battery setting would graphically indicate 75%, I think.

I didn't think any of the displays would properly, graphically indicate the battery percentage for 52 volts, but maybe that's changed - why else would they have added the 52 volt setting?
        Mine is a 48 volt battery, and i have the display set to 48 volts. And as far as I know, the displays still aren't intended to give an accurate read on 52v batteries. It's kind of annoying to buy something brand new like this and have it not function properly. Sure I can get used to it, and learn to read it as is, but we shouldn't have to do that with something brand new, and being used in the manner it was intended.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
          I think its something in the firmware of the displays which I don't think can easily be changed or even easily checked to see what version you have. I have 2 500c's both from Luna and a year to two apart. The older one seems to read more accurately at least on the high side. The newer one which I got late summer sounds like it reads more like yours does. On my first ride a actually ran it dead because I was used to looking at the graph on the old one. The new one when its dead its dead, old one you still had a little when it got into the red if you are careful about the sag. I was using the same battery so I know it wasn't just differences in the packs.
          Yeah, I'm happy with the display other than this issue. It's not just a small oversight though. That's one of the main features of the display, and there's really no excuse for it to be malfunctioning like this.

Comment

I guess I didn't mention that my stuff is all 52v and running on HD systems also of varying ages. Like I said even with the same battery they read differently.

Comment

Since the 36/48/52 display values are just variables for the software to calculate the percentage bars, what happens if you set the value to 36? I'm wondering if the values have any effect at all on the display's percentage calculation (i.e. the value being ignored because of a display software bug).

I have two of the 500C display, and didn't even realize they can be set now for 52 volts. Nor have I ever paid any attention to the display percentage graphs on any of my displays, 'cause I've only ever used the 52 volt batteries and I've always assumed the graphs were wrong. Instead, I just peeked at the voltage.

You're right - no excuse for this. The other system manufactures seem to get it right.

Comment

I believe it's probably due to the value entered for minimum battery voltage.
                If I'm not mistaken the value can be changed with a programming cable.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have my older 500c loose at the moment so I can easily try swapping it between all 3 of my systems with the same battery. I'm pretty sure I looked at the settings between my original systems which were both Luna's and didn't see anything that was different. I don't know if I ever looked at the settings of my 3rd one which wasn't a Luna so it would be an interesting experiment if I try the same display on all 3 with the same battery. Pretty sure the newer one is going to read lower but I'm not positive.

Since the 36/48/52 display values are just variables for the software to calculate the percentage bars, what happens if you set the value to 36? I'm wondering if the values have any effect at all on the display's percentage calculation (i.e. the value being ignored because of a display software bug).

I have two of the 500C display, and didn't even realize they can be set now for 52 volts. Nor have I ever paid any attention to the display percentage graphs on any of my displays, 'cause I've only ever used the 52 volt batteries and I've always assumed the graphs were wrong. Instead, I just peeked at the voltage.

You're right - no excuse for this. The other system manufactures seem to get it right.
                I thought the same thing and tried this, but regardless of which battery voltage I set it at, it still reads 75% at a full 54.6/7 volt charge. So there must be something else going on. I just bought the display recently though, and need to make a decision on how to proceed before the "product return" period expires. If it's something I can fix I'd prefer to just keep it, but if not, I'll probably just end up exchanging it for another identical unit, assuming that the problem is just with my unit specifically, or return it and buy another model of display, assuming that this problem is inherent to all current displays of this model.

But the clock is ticking regarding my option to return/exchange it, so I need to make a decision soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dshue View Post
                  I believe it's probably due to the value entered for minimum battery voltage.
                  If I'm not mistaken the value can be changed with a programming cable.
                  That could be true, but I don't see a setting with that exact nomenclature. All I see is the "Low Batter Protection [V]" setting, which I have set to 41 volts. Is this perhaps what you're referring to?

Comment

Update: I'm putting together a package for a friend of mine, and part of that package was another 500c display. Since I'm having this issue with my display, I took his out of the package and hooked it up to see how it interpreted the charge of my pack, and it also shows the exact same 75% at a full charge, so it's obviously an issue with these displays in general.

I'm still not exactly sure how I'm going to proceed from here!

Comment

I've been in communication with a third party who is in communication with the manufacturer, and they're claiming that it could be due to my BBSHD having a 52v controller. Anyone else notice your displays gauge reading differently when connected to different motors/controllers?

Comment

I didn't think/know there was a distinct 52 volt BBSHD controller, and was instead under the impression that, by trial and error it was found that the standard controller (and display) components would tolerate the max battery charge just shy of 60 volts.

But wait, here's an eBay vendor advertising a 52-volt specific BBSHD controller with the Bafang part number C571-30-506 (versus C769-51-501 for 48 volts) :
                        Click image for larger versionName:	omoqtwstmqoqoloumsoxwvptxvttopvsqownHNEv.jpgViews:	0Size:	240.0 KBID:	120523

I looked at my BBSHD drives to see if they matched up with this chart. Of course they don't - 2 out of the 3 are marked as follows (third has none):

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210113_132821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	265.7 KB ID:	120524

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210113_133418.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	120525

There is the 48V30A marking though. All of my BBSHD drives are 3-4 years old, have the shift sensor input and don't have the lighting output.

How is your drive marked?

P.S. for more fog, see this Endless Sphere posting
                        Last edited by ncmired; 1 week ago.

Comment

I didn't think/know there was a distinct 52 volt BBSHD controller, and was instead under the impression that, by trial and error it was found that the standard controller (and display) components would tolerate the max battery charge just shy of 60 volts.

But wait, here's an eBay vendor advertising a 52-volt specific BBSHD controller with the Bafang part number C571-30-506 (versus C769-51-501 for 48 volts) :There is the 48V30A marking though. All of my BBSHD drives are 3-4 years old, have the shift sensor input and don't have the lighting output.

How is your drive marked?

P.S. for more fog, see this Endless Sphere posting
                          I'll try to check my markings today at some point. It is here in the house a few feet away from me, but t's not quite as simple as just going over there and reading it, as it's covered in a pretty thick layer of dried mud at the moment, so I'll have to take it outside and spray it off, but I will do it as soon as it gets light out.

Because yeah, I was under the same impression as you. I was also assuming that they had all been standard 48v controllers all this time, just being over-volted (which was probably actually true in previous years).

I do really appreciate the information and the effort, thank you!
                          Last edited by Steve--; 5 days ago.

Comment

Hah, I got distracted and forgot all about it until just now when coming across this post while closing some of my tabs. I'll try to check tomorrow :)

Comment

Working...
                            X