Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor Lockup; wet accelerator or controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Lockup; wet accelerator or controller?

I have been having motor lockup when riding on wet days. I used to be able to ride in a pouring rain with no problem. I think the thumb lever has worn so it lets water in the side. But I want to know if it could be the controller [cyclone3000 at 52v]. It only happens when I am opening up the throttle to let in too much power to climb a hill.

I burnt out my motor a year or so ago, so I suspect that the controller could have sustained a bit of damage. if so I am gogin to buy a new controller by the end of year. But first I need to build a new battery pack. 2kWh is big to supply more amps than the battery I have now so it will cause the lockout. It sounds like a chunk of metal thrown into the gears. But reboots when I return the lever to off.

I tried to water proof with liquid tape. Just like the video. but there is no bare wire and plenty of holes to let water in. I really wish someone would make a water proof thumb throttle.

I also need a way to monitor phase amps.

I got a new accelerator, and put a little liquid tape on the Hall Sensor pins and a little tape on those two open places, but I 'm not even sure that the old throttle is a Hall sensor type or a rheostat variable resistor [like the wiring diagram indicates]. One video said the problem is corrosion on the wires [or the magnet ring?] it's corrosion not moisture that is throwing off the voltage reading but the old accelerator does not malfunction until I pump too much amps. As if moisture is causing a short.

Google this video: “Essentials of Hall Effect Sensors”

Fortunately the weather got so dry that the moisture cleared out of the accelerator and there is no problem now, until it gets wet again.

So why doesn't some one make a water proof thumb accelerator? I know a lot of people would buy it even if it costs four times the price of this one. I can't stand having my motor lockup. the other day my chain got tangled and broke, I had to walk home.

I presume I have to buy a motorcycle electrical throttle. made for 7/8th inch handle bars, but where?

Attached Files

Comment

same cheap throttle as above
      Attached Files

Comment

next problem https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/trouble-shooting/125274-loose-battery-connection

Comment

Working...
        X