BBS02 Programming Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 Programming Issue

I am having problems connecting to the BBS02 controller. The equipment I'm using is a laptop running Windows 10 64bit and the Luna programming cable, I have downloaded both the Luna version of the BafangConfigTool and Pentoff's version. I installed the CH341S64 driver from a link provided by one of you folks on another thread (I can't remember who...I've slept since then). Device Manager assignment is COM3. Unplug Luna cable from puter. Unplug 500c display. Plug Luna cable into that cable(connection to the controller. Confirm all instances of either config app is closed as well as all other programs. Connect USB end of the Luna cable to the laptop. When I start either config program the result is the same: The tool recognizes its COM port assignment correctly but both the READ FLASH and WRITE FLASH buttons are grayed out.

Does anybody have any ideas as to further troubleshooting steps?

So windows is happy with it and sees it as a valid device with a valid driver? If not I would open it up and verify which chip it has, hopefully one with a label.

Comment

I followed your suggestion and cut the heatshrink off the circuit board. The UART has no markings. When I plug the cable into the controller a red LED lights. After plugging in the USB end, running the config tool and clicking on the connect button, a blue LED begins flashing about twice a second. The READ and WRITE FLASH buttons remain grayed and the LED associated with the Rx lead does not light. It looks to me the computer is talking to the UART but the UART is not talking to the controller.

Does anybody know the speed and format of the serial packet the controller is looking for? Word length, stop bits, bit speed, control, etc.

Comment

I am having the same issue with my 2 month old BBSHD and also a Luna program cable. Hoping for a fix.

Comment

In windows control panel, devices and printers... you should see things like your phone if connected and printers or at least the default stuff like Microsoft XPS writer. Below that stuff should be things like USB devices. Mine comes up as USB2.0-serial. If its just unknown or is showing ! you don't have the right driver.

Comment

It's displayed as "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)"

Comment

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds like you have the right driver and it likes it so I'm not sure why its not working. For me and others I have helped once you got the right driver they worked.

I looked up the pinout paxtana posted and checked the continuity between the circuit board and the plug that goes into the wiring harness. It seems to be OK. I say seems because the measured ohms are in the 20 to 30 range rather than a fraction of an ohm a straight wire would be. This can be accounted for by the test set up.

I'm out of ideas to try. :(

Comment

Exact same situation here. Spent hours trying different things. It did switch to COM4 somewhere in the process and I'm not understanding why, still CH340.??
              I also sent Luna an email so maybe I'll get a reply in the morning with some idea

Comment

• Alaska Pirate
                Alaska Pirate commented
                Editing a comment
                You can change com ports and the serial packet parameters by right clicking the device in Device Manager and then choosing Properties. Go to the Port Settings tab. Com port selection is on the Advanced screen. The config tool would recognize any number I changed it to, but an error message would pop up when I hit the Connect button. COM3 was the only one that would successfully connect and start the blue LED blinking.

I think CH340 is the model of the actual chip that is doing the work in this case. The fact that windows knows that is what makes me think its the correct driver.

Comment

Luna replied and said to order another cable from Amazon and if that works they would credit the one from them. It will be here tomorrow.

Comment

• Alaska Pirate
                  Alaska Pirate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it works, please send me the link or post it here

Should know this afternoon.
                https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Drive-...1&keywords=bbs hd+programming+cable&qid=1617052133&sprefix=bbshd+ pro%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-3

Comment

The new cable from Amazon connected right up and works fine.
                  It is pretty short, only 22 inches.

Comment

• Alaska Pirate
                    Alaska Pirate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool! I'm ordering one.

Mine did too. Loaded Karl's Secret Sauce configuration and tried it out today...it's a completely different feel. I like it better that what came with the kit.

Comment

I've found stock programming to be anything from 'meh to outright horrible... never met one that couldn't be improved

Being able to tweak the parameters is one of the best things about the BBSxx's IMO - welcome to the world of customization!

Personally I'm of the thought that there's no one right setup, that what's best is going to be up to the bike, how it's setup and the rider's riding style

Mine is nothing like most the others I've seen but I've helped other local folks here set theirs up and they've all been far happier

Comment

I loaded the limitless program and it is better but still need to get more ride time in to judge.

Comment

Working...
                      X