Bafang BBSHD weird throttle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bafang BBSHD weird throttle issue

I have 2 bikes with the same 1000W bafang BBSHD mid drive kit installed. On my wifes bike the throttle is very jerky, When you are pedaling and bring on the throttle the throttle really does nothing until it is about 75% , so it feels like it is just coming on 100%, kind of an on/off feeling. But if you are not pedaling you can roll into the throttle and it feels smoother. It just feels real jerky.
    On my bike, with the same setup the throttle is real smooth, I ride mode of the time in pedal assist level 0 or maybe 1 and just roll into the throttle when I need a little assistance. It is very smooth.
    The 2 bikes just act very different. I have plugged them both into the Bafang programming software and looked at all the settings. I have saved my settings and uploaded onto her bike and no change.
    I tried taking the throttle off my bike and putting on hers and no change.
    The strangest thing is the lack of throttle response when you are pedaling.
    One more piece of information - I did just move the kit on my wifes bike to a new bike (bought her a new bike) and bought a new battery. She did have a 48v battery and I switch over to a 52v battery. My bike has a similar 52v battery. I don't remember her old bike acting like this, it just seems different since we moved it to the new bike with the new battery.
    Both bikes list the same firmware version:
    Model: BBS3
    Hardware ver: V1.5
    Firmware ver: V1.0.0.4
    Nominal voltage: 48v
    Max current 30A
    Any thoughts on why the bikes would act different?
    Is there a way to reflash the controller or do a firmware update?

Thanks

Kudos to you for trying to diagnose this issue very aggressively. I think you've eliminated about 90% of the variables here already. I do wonder, however, how much you can trust the consistency of the firmware and programming between two Bafangs that appear to be identical. I'm no expert on that issue, but I see mention frequently how the Chinese change elements in their programming and components without warning. Are you reading those model and firmware numbers off the motor or in the program? Have you tried a different balance in the throttle tuning program to see how it responds as if you assumed the motors were totally different in their firmware?

You sound like you'd be aware of that issue of some/many Bafangs not allowing throttle operation while pedaling. Still, that doesn't quite sound like your case since the motor will take throttle at about 75% lever push. Or have you closely observed this to be the case to be sure that the throttle is choppy because the pedals/cranks are being turned a little while engaging the throttle? This would cause a jerky throttle response on those motors with that issue. You many have already tested this, but in case not, I'd insure the cranks are totally stationary while testing the throttle. If it still only kicks in at about 75% lever push, well, you know that's not the problem.

I think I'm understanding on what you mentioned on the 48V vs 52V swap, but let me make sure. This problem didn't exist until you went to a 52V battery on your wife's bike...right? What does your end voltage look like in your throttle tab tuning program? If this problem wasn't present with the 48V battery but is present now with the 52V battery, surely the issue is in the programming that might occur between the two battery values...perhaps?

Comment

• goingup4m
      goingup4m commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks TNC, let me clarify a couple of things:
      1. I am not 100% sure this wasn't an issue before the bike and battery switch. It is on my wifes bike and I barely ever rode it before, and never noticed it and she didn't comment on it before. But it may have been happening all along.
      2. As I have been doing some more research it does very much sound like the ongoing issue with Bafang where they changed something and the newer controllers cut out the power to the throttle when you are pedaling. But the throttle will certainly work when you are pedaling, it just comes up at near 75%-100% . With this in mind a need to do a little more testing
      3. I am reading the model and firmware numbers in the software.
      4. I have tried different settings in the throttle tuning page. They do make a slight difference, but doesn't solve the real issue.

Thanks for the input. I found some nice older write ups on this issue where some guys were making some wiring/ hardware changes. This makes me a bit nervous. I was hoping for a simple firmware change.

Yes, I saw you on that other thread. On that thread, I wasn't totally clear that the firmware change they were talking about actually changed the throttle/PAS issue, but the thread was long and somewhat complicated since it started on the voltage issue. I'm guessing your start voltage is 11 and your end voltage is 42 under the throttle tab in the program screen...correct?

Comment

Yes, that is correct. I has also found this controller is only set up for 48v,. I have a 53v battery and started getting an over voltage error. I think the bottom line is I need to either buy a different controller that has been flashed for 48/53v and has the throttle override, or try a firmware update and roll the dice hoping it doesn't freeze it up.

Comment

I have a very similar situation with my throttle. It’s more like an on/off switch. I have the ludicrous controller and the throttle has literally tossed me off the back via uncontrollable wheelies. I’ve read a lot about the controller settings and have tried everything I can of with no real change. Mine has been his way since day #1. I’m running a Luna Wolf pack 52v battery. I’ve tried another throttle but no difference. I’m using the EggRider V2 to program the controller. I love the bike but I may have to remove the throttle. I’m not sure my back or pelvis can take another hard hit. I’m pretty sure my CamelBack saved broken bones the last time. Honestly I’m still recovering.

Comment

Here is a link to my thread with my current controller settings.
          https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-the-throttle

Comment

Working...
          X