BBS02 - no power after rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 - no power after rain

I got caught in a rain storm and the bike provided intermittent power on the way home. Would cruise with PAS for a bit, then the PAS would cut out momentarily. I was able to make it home, but now I find that the display turns on, battery is charged, but I don't get any power from the motor via PAS or throttle. Did I fry my controller? Did I blow a fuse? Thanks for the help!

Could just be water in a connection somewhere shorting things out.
    Put it inside the air conditioned house if you can. (lower humidity)
    Dry everything out best you can.

Maybe warm the motor with a hair dryer to chase the moisture out?
    I'd pay particular attention to making sure the controller and it's connections are dry.

Comment

I think I would pop the controller loose and see if/how wet it got. You should be able to pop the chain off then take the screws out of the chainring and let that flop down the crank arm then you should be able to get to the controller screws. 2 of the 3 I have had open the gasket was folded over so its got to be somewhat common to have that happen at the factory and that would let water in.

That was a crazy storm out of nowhere so I can totally understand how you got caught in it. I did too, I wasn't on my bike but had a car all apart and open in the driveway and just ran to the parts store. While I was in there the sky turned black and it just started to pour.

Comment

Thanks for the advice 73Eldo do and MemberOfDistinction ! I'll try all that. At what point would you recommend replacing the controller?

Comment

If you get it open and water pours out and you see any signs of smoke or burn stains. Its a bit of work to fully remove the controller but there is enough slack in the wires to kinda peel it back enough to get a good look at what you can see if it.

Comment

The controller looks fine to me. Didn’t notice any water, burn marks, or signs of damage. Might be hard to tell with all the potting. Of course I broke the gasket when I was removing the thing, but oh well. I’ve had the whole bike inside in AC with a fan on the exposed controller for hours and still no PAS or throttle response. Any ideas?

Comment

How about the wheel speed sensor? Seems like some firmware versions need that to be working do do anything.

You disconnect the brake and gear sensors just to make sure they are not causing it to stay off? Check the main harness connector (if the 02 has one?) for water?

Comment

Do you have a volt meter ?

I can give you some things to check for shorts if you do.

Disconnect the controller harness connector and find the pin for the BLACK wire (on the connector attached to the controller) and touch one lead to that pin, then using the other lead, check each of the other wires one by one to see if there is CONTINUITY. If you find continuity between any of the wires to the black wire let me know.

This is to verify the controller itself is not shorted.

You can repeat this for the brake, throttle and display harness connectors. Each of these has a black common wire and several other wires.

You can also do this check with the motor harness connector.

If there are no shorts there then you can check the harness itself for any shorts. This is the way I would approach this problem.
                Step by step verification and elimination.
                Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-30-2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I hooked up the multimeter in the 200mV range and got readings between black/gray and black/white. I got a zero reading for black/red. If I’m reading my multimeter correctly, this is 7mV for the black/gray and black/white. I’m assuming that the continuity (0v reading) on black/red is an issue right? I wasn’t totally clear on your idea for testing the throttle and other connections since there aren't color coded wires… I did also disconnect the speedo and I don’t use a gear sensor. thanks again for the help!!

Comment

• 73Eldo
                    73Eldo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    what are you probing with the meter? Is that the motor hall sensor connector? Or the PAS sensor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=77041&d=1540926770.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	131089What you want to check first is for shorts. To do that set your meter to Continuity......not voltage.
                  In that setting it will beep if there is a short.
                  Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-30-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

When I mentioned the wheel speed sensor I was thinking checking the connector for signs of water then seeing if the light goes on and off when you pass the magnet past it. Maybe if its stuck on or off (due to getting wet) the computer just thinks the wheel is not moving so it doesn't let anything happen? Just a guess.

Comment

This is great! Very much enjoying learning the troubleshooting process. You guys are awesome! So, I got my MM set to check for continuity. I did NOT find any shorts and I tested:
                      1. Brakes male and female connectors
                      2. Throttle male and female connectors
                      3. Display male and female connectors
                      4. Main harness male and female connectors
                      5. PAS connector (that's the one you asked about 73Eldo )
                      I am not 100% confident that my continuity check was accurate on the female connectors because it was impossible to tell if I made contact with the pin inside, but I did my best.

After getting done with that I also went on to test the Hall Sensor and power connections between controller and motor core. On the motor core side, I found that blue shorted to green & yellow AND green to yellow was also shorted (basically any combination of phase wires on the motor core side were shorted).The phase wires were NOT shorted on the controller side. Does this mean that the motor core is damaged?

I also checked the speedo cable. No water and the light DOES illuminate when the magnet passes.

Comment

• AZguy
                        AZguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The motor wires are going to read really low resistance normally and what you are seeing is very likely not shorts. If you can measure the resistance in ohms (and tenths) they should be pretty much the same between all three measurements, low but the same, just a few ohms

• bromilo
                        bromilo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks AZguy I think you’re right. Measuring the pole to pole resistance was 0.8ohm on each one

• AZguy
                        AZguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        0.8Ω is a bit lower than I'd expect - what is the resistance read when you just touch the two leads together?

Originally posted by bromilo View Post
                      This is great! Very much enjoying learning the troubleshooting process. You guys are awesome! So, I got my MM set to check for continuity. I did NOT find any shorts and I tested:
                      1. Brakes male and female connectors
                      2. Throttle male and female connectors
                      3. Display male and female connectors
                      4. Main harness male and female connectors
                      5. PAS connector (that's the one you asked about 73Eldo )
                      I am not 100% confident that my continuity check was accurate on the female connectors because it was impossible to tell if I made contact with the pin inside, but I did my best.

After getting done with that I also went on to test the Hall Sensor and power connections between controller and motor core. On the motor core side, I found that blue shorted to green & yellow AND green to yellow was also shorted (basically any combination of phase wires on the motor core side were shorted).The phase wires were NOT shorted on the controller side. Does this mean that the motor core is damaged?

I also checked the speedo cable. No water and the light DOES illuminate when the magnet passes.
                      Not necessarily. I don't have one of these OR a schematic but so far what you've said sounds fairly normal for motor windings.
                      See if you can find a schematic for that motor.

Comment

I opened up the motor windings to see if there was any obvious damage. Not finding any, I went ahead and replaced the controller. Voila! A working ebike again. I’m guessing that maybe the throttle shorted in the rain and blew a mosfet or something because at no point did I find water ingress in the motor assembly or elsewhere. Thanks to all for the help!

Comment

• AZguy
                          AZguy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good to hear and we appreciate you reporting back
                      Working...
                      X