12 v batteries in series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 v batteries in series

Hi all! I have four 12v batts in series. 1000 watt front hub drive. Bought the entire diy ebike used..
    When charging batts one at the time the smart charger shows batt at 50 percent then instantly shows full charge. Green full charge light on Bike display won't come on. Batteries don't last five miles..
    Batteries also show different charges after use. Why are batts being drained differently?
    Time for new batts?
    Thanks for any advice or honest help.

When charging were the batteries still connected to each other? If so I would try disconnecting them. Its possible that the smart part of the charger isn't that smart and is being fooled by the other batteries.

Comment

Would also be nice to know what your 12v batts actually are...lithium? NiMH? NiCd? Lead acid? and what their voltage is at full charge, at discharge, etc. Does sound like at least one of the batteries has lost capacity.

Comment

Lead acid type. I have a desulfator charger 48v,
        12.3 to 12.6 are what the batts show after charge.
        One of the batts got down to zero charge and must have reversed charged.
        Guess I have to replace em all.
        99 bucks on Amazon

Comment

You could likely get more range from less size and it would look a lot better if you went with some sort of 18650 pack. If you are fine with that top bar mount a surplus scooter pack comes to mind. You can often buy those pretty cheap. If nasty looking multiple packs don't bother you how about something based on tool or lawn and garden batteries? I always thought that was a neat idea especially if you had or where thinking of getting battery lawn equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky View Post
            Lead acid type. I have a desulfator charger 48v,
            12.3 to 12.6 are what the batts show after charge.
            One of the batts got down to zero charge and must have reversed charged.
            Guess I have to replace em all.
            99 bucks on Amazon
            I wouldn't waste any more money on lead acid batteries. Get a lithium pack...maybe a bit more $$ upfront but will last longer, perform better, and much lighter

Comment

OTOH lead-acid batteries like that are reasonably inexpensive - I find them walking distance from my house and he's already got lead-acid "infrastructure"

If they are only showing 12.3 to 12.6 fully charged then they are likely not so good, but not toast - if lead-acid is allowed to drain much lower than about 10.5 for a 6cell (12v) battery they are usually damaged and the lower they go the more damage they suffer

Me I'd also go Li-ion but I don't fault a guy for sticking with what he's got. They are going to be less money for similar Ah and pretty darn safe... they'll last a long time if you don't let them discharge too low and unlike Li-ion they are happy to just leave on a tender... just way too heavy...
              Last edited by AZguy; 07-25-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X