Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut out problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cut out problem

    I added a shift sensor, and since then after I use the throttle or sometimes after a shift there will be another cut out after a few seconds. Has anyone else had this or have any explanation or solution?

    #2
    Never experienced that on several bbshd builds I've ridden with gear sensors

    Have you disconnected the gear sensor just for giggles?

    for even more fun I might just disconnect brake sensors if you have them installed while leaving the gear sensor connected



    I'd look at the programming too - in particular the Pedal Assist tab

    Comment


      #3
      I only have a few rides recently. the weather has been wet most of the time. I did get the big battery DC a couple times, and last ride i went about 20 miles and came home with it showing full. I know it isn't, but that's definitely something new.

      Comment


        #4
        Which brand of gear sensor did you get? There are now lots of options out there now and they are not all created equal. The more like $50 ones from vendors like Luna have been very solid for me. The $25 random online vendor ones have been pretty hit and miss for me.

        Is your shifting just as solid as it was before the install? If you got housings that are not quite fully seated or there is slack in the cable for some reason the cheap ones can easily miss trip from vibrations but usually your shifting won't be 100% then either. If your shifting is still slightly mushy work on getting that dialed in and see if that corrects it.

        Comment


          #5
          I got mine from Luna. I did just hang it in the middle of the cable. Maybe I need a bracket for it. It's in between 2 places where the cable is tied to the frame. So it's not exactly flapping around.
          Shifting seems OK. I doesn't bang the gears like before but that's to be expected. The weather is pretty good today. I'll try a few things.

          Comment


            #6
            You just have it floating on the bare wire ? If so then ya that is your problem. I suppose you could anchor it at one end or the other. Typically you would cut and splice it into the housing or use the little nipple they include to go direct to a frame boss on one end then shorten the housing on the other.

            Comment


              #7
              It's cut and spliced into the cable housing. But not anchored otherwise. I used Shimano metal cable ends on the housing.

              Comment


              • AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                FWIW - mine isn't "mounted", just spliced into the cable housing with ferrules... I can't see mounting it helping but you never know... mine has been flawless except for early on it stopped sensing so I took it apart and roughed up the super slick cable and the little wheel it rides in, put the tiniest drop of lube on the little wheel "bearing" (the little pin it rides on).... and all was well... took thousands of miles later for it to stop sensing... I cleaned it and relubed the little pin and all was well again and has been since... some folks heat shrink or whatever to prevent dirt/moisture from getting in through the cable entry holes and I suppose that's a good idea and if I were doing the install fresh I might do that... but if it stops sensing it's just so not a big deal, just opening the unit and cleaning it is so easy and clearly it's doesn't need that often at all, even out here it the land of dust and sand it just doesn't seem worth the effort to do it after the install...

              #8
              Spliced into the housing should be fine, that is how mine are. Some end up pretty snug to the frame so I don't think they move but have done others where they are just in the cable and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I thought you had a bike where the raw cable was exposed along the frame and you just slid it on in there somewhere.

              Comment


                #9
                I had the bike upside down for a casette swap, and unplugged the shift sensor cable. There seems to have been some sort of issue with the throttle causing the sensor to throw random power delays.
                The throttle is more important o me than the shift sensor. BTW this one wasn't from Luna, it was from Electrifybike.com. A known American vendor. I had one ordered form Luna but it was still in the package. I'll probably try it again on the TSDZ2 bike with Nexus 8 IGH and see how it works there. I think the bike makes better time crossing busy intersections without it. So back to plan A for me.
                As usual AZ and I disagree, he doesn't use brake sensors, I don'y run shift sensors. : )

                Comment

                Working...
                X