E Bike found - Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E Bike found - Newbie

Hi All, My son and I found an E-Bike https://help.kogan.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403927104025

Its complete but not going at all and before undertaking to see if we can save it I wanted to find out if someone out there could help guide us and in the process we could learn about e-bikes and understand how they work.

User manual https://kogan-prod-assets.s3.amazona...BKA-QSG_V2.pdf

There is a 36V/10Ah lithium Ion battery and its not working. It looks damaged as I pulled it apart and there was a few loose wires.

I want to check to see if the battery is good or takes charge. I have a volt meter and the enthusiasm to do it.

I've uploaded some pics and if anyone is able to guide me that would be awesome.

Thanks
    13 new items added to shared album

It might have been stolen, taken for a joyride, crashed or even damaged on purpose and then abandoned. Because that's what joy riders often do. You might want to search the serial number and see what comes up. No sense you getting blamed for someonelse's crime.

If you're in North America take a look at BikeIndex.org. They can search nationl US and Canadian police databases. Getting a clean report back on the number doen't guarantee it wasn't stolen. It might have been stolen but never reported stolen because people often neglect to reord the serial number or else they lose it.

Comment

• Jaffers99
      Jaffers99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response. I'm in Aus and will look it up on our relevant sites.

Was all that damage there when you got it or did that happen in the process of you opening it? One thing I don't see in there is a BMS module which is a circuit board that connects the output, charge wires, and small individual wires to the individual cell groups in the pack. I don't see loose wires like its just missing so maybe it is with the cells inside the blue wrapping? From the photos the blue just look like the cells. If there is no BMS its not a very safe pack assuming they are 18650 cells. IF they are older like Nicads then maybe its OK.

A good thing I don't see is anything that ties the battery to the rest of the bike other than power. Some bikes have extra wires or connections between the battery and controller for various reasons. Could be useful things like monitoring temps or charge cycles. Could be security for a rental / hire bike. Could just be to force you to use their battery. Since this doesn't appear to have that other than figuring out the mounting and connections you should be able to use any 36v battery.

The missing / damaged fuse looks to be on the output so you should be able to charge it and test it at the damaged wires. Not sure about there but in the USA a common source for moderate size fuses like that would be the car audio world. You could also look at marine or camping suppliers. Maybe off grid people too? All those industries would be dealing with batteries and fuses on this scale.

Comment

• Jaffers99
      Jaffers99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, The damage was there when we found it.

The black and red wire were connected to a fuse of some sort but it disintegrated when we pulled it apart.

Do I need to buy a fuse holder and connect it to the Red wire? What happens to the black?

Thanks for your response.

Be careful when working on this, there is a ton of energy (think smoke and heat) in these things. One wrong move or connection could let it out so think about that when you are working on it and where you are storing it. Ideally you would want to be working on this someplace where if it suddenly burst into flames it would do minimal damage to things around it.

My guess is the red wire was on one end of the fuse and the black was on the other. For a 36v system I would guess it was around 15 amps.

Comment

• Jaffers99
      Jaffers99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your notes. I'll check on the fuse and see if I can replace it.

+1 for 73Eldo's warning - ebike batteries can be very dangerous fire hazards.

Here's some other casual thoughts:
    • If you have the means and some other power source, does the motor work (or at least not smell like it has burnt up)?
    • First thing on the battery, I'd see if the blue cell pack is putting out anywhere near 36 volts - not much sense in jacking with the wiring and like if the cell pack is shot. Consider buying a complete battery if that's the case. You could likely locate a cell pack that would fit, but it maybe better to resolve a bunch of issues by just going new.
    • If the cell pack has life, I hope you either have the key, or know how to rake a lock (which you'll might need to do every time you use the bike). Otherwise, maybe just bypass the lock's electrical switch and come up with some other physical battery retention.
    • Do you have the charger and does it work? And crikey, an RCA audio connector charging port?
    Last edited by ncmired; 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Jaffers99
      Jaffers99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response

- The motor doesn't smell burnt and I don't have another power source.
      - I have a volt meter but not sure how to test the blue cell pack. How do you test it?
      - I have a key for the battery. There doesn't appear to be another lock on the bike.
      - I do have a charger. Yes I was surprised at the RCA charging port as well. Didn't know they existed.

Any help is appreciated as I don't want to spend cash on the project and would prefer to abandon it than invest time into a lemon

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      For the cell pack, check what voltage it can muster across the blue and red wires - carefully.
Working...
X