Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sur-Ron - No Throttle...

Hi Guys

Just joined up as trying to fix a Sur-ron with a dead throttle, (bike powers on, wait & don't touch throttle, & still no throttle response)
    The details:
    Diagnostics lead is flashing as normal, (not showing any fault code)
    Battery is fully charged & fine (works in other bikes fine)
    Kick stand & brake sensors have been disconnected from day one (1900kms on the clock)

I plugged in a new throttle & tested in my hand, it worked fine, then proceeded to remove old throttle & fit new one, after re-routing cable etc & fitting to handlebar, went to test again & nothing, same problem of a dead throttle on the new one fitted...

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance

I have a similar problem. Just bought a brand new Sur-ron and after it was delivered (assembled) by the dealer, no throttle response after power up. Cycling power did not help. We got it running briefly but it stopped for no apparent reason. I surmised it might be a throttle issue as we have power to all the lights and after viewing the vids from Luna. I finally got it running by allowing the throttle to snap back from full open a few times. Letting the bike sit for any length of time and it stops running again. When dead, the service dongle flashes an alarm code (14 counts) which is a bad throttle. The throttle operates freely, there is no binding. I took the throttle off the bike to check it electrically, and to get at the source connector to check the voltage from the bike. The source voltage read 4.72 V (a little low) but maybe OK. On a test bench I fed the throttle exactly 4.72 V to simulate the bike connection, and found a zero position voltage of 0.88 V. Not sure if this is too high or not. I have seen voltages from 0.6 V to 1.0 V for these throttles, but it is unclear what Sur-ron likes. If this voltage is too high, the throttle is disabled by the computer for safety reasons. Full throttle produced 3.89 V which I assume is normal. After the tests and re-assembly, the bike was running much better and was not as sporadic. However, if left sitting for an hour or more (esp overnight), it no longer runs on restart, but will run if power is cycled. Sometimes it requires power on with the kickstand down for a few seconds, then it will run. Once running, it stays that way until turned off for a long period.

Even though the fault code pointed to the throttle, why does the bike run in any case? Either the throttle is bad or its not. The most frustrating part is the no start after a period of being off. The dealer is being helpful by ordering a replacement throttle from Su-ron. However, my questions to the factory (via the dealer) re the throttle voltage requirements have gone unanswered so far.

The bike runs great when it runs but the shine is tarnished by these reliability problems.

Comment

The Surron needs a specific low start voltage or it won’t turn on the stock controller ,somewhere around .70v,if lower than that it will have a slight throttle hesitation,above that it will go into fault mode and not turn on controller.Stock throttle and controller are not adjustable,with a Bac4000 you can tune to exact throttle voltage .

Comment

Originally posted by Kauaiguy View Post
        The Surron needs a specific low start voltage or it won’t turn on the stock controller ,somewhere around .70v,if lower than that it will have a slight throttle hesitation,above that it will go into fault mode and not turn on controller.Stock throttle and controller are not adjustable,with a Bac4000 you can tune to exact throttle voltage .
        Understand this, so you think 0.88 V is too high? If so, why does the bike run anyway? Perhaps that zone between 0.7 and 1.0 V is a gray area where the response is intermittent and dependent on the individual controller. The BAC4000 is an option but I don't feel like spending another $1000 to fix something the factory should have got right on delivery. There is another possible option suggested by a poster on this board that uses op amps to tune the controller voltages. This is a lot more cost effective solution vs a BAC4000 if the replacement throttle also comes in at over 0.7 V. Of course, the BAC4000 is much better if you want to hot rod the bike, but right now stock performance is fine with me since I am riding on the street here in CA and don't need any undue LEO attention by riding at 50 mph in the bike lanes.

Comment

Working...
        X