No Power assist when pedaling Luna X2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power assist when pedaling Luna X2

So I have been working with Luna for past few weeks trying to fix my X2. I thought I would post the issue here and see if there are any ideas why it no longer provides power assist. The motor one day while riding just stopped providing power assist in any of the PAS levels. The throttle works. What are the chances the torque sensor is bad? No errors on the display. I have replaced the main wiring harness and have tried 2 known good controllers. Has anyone had this problem before?

Sounds like the torque sensor, though there might be other stuff. What did Seb say about it?

Comment

So long story the motor had a bad clutch causing the pedal to slip in March 2022. Opened case and shipped motor to Luna they fixed the clutch issue and it worked for a few months then the pedal assist stopped working end of June 2022. A week ago I contacted via email Seb to open a case on this new issue. I told Seb I thought it was the torque sensor after my extensive Google research. I had tested 2 known good displays c240 and 860c without any errors before it was shipped back to Luna. A few days later Seb said the tech told him the controller was bad. I asked if I could get a Ludi v2 controller and have them install it before shipping it back. Seb was able to get it authorized and I paid for the new v2 controller. I asked if the tech tested the motor Seb said they did. Fast forward to yesterday I have been waiting a week for the motor to arrive and get it installed. Took my time and got everything put back together and went to power on the bike and the 860c display displays an Error 30. Seb said the tech updated the firmware and changed the settings for the 34 amp BMS before shipping. Not sure why the Luna branded 860c display is not working unless the controller firmware is old version. I have an iPhone and was able to read the v2 controller with the VESC app. The new v2 controller looks to be working. I will have to get an Android tablet this weekend to verify the controller version. So I switch to the c240 display and was able to go for my first test ride down the street. PAS 1 and start to pedal the bike takes off then I stop pedaling and the bike continues to accelerate. Bike is now out of control and I have to reach over and power off the bike from the master power switch. OMG not good! I take the bike back inside and recheck all connectors and everything is good. I go back outside for a second test on PAS 1 start pedaling and no longer get any assistance when pedaling. The throttle still works. I tried all the PAS levels and turned the display off and on with no luck getting the PAS to work. This is the same issue I had with the stock controller no pedal assistance. Now I am not happy. Not happy with the bike and not happy with the Luna service. I want to ask for a whole new motor and v2 controller. Is that possible to ask for after all I have been through. order#192692 and case# 00541600
      Last edited by IOUZIP; 07-09-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm 30 is usually comm error, not sure if that torque sensor can cause that or not but Seb should be able to get to the bottom of it. Shop may be open to replacing the motor yes, we will need to run it by them first; just request it in the email

Thanks for the responses.
      I just got the Android tablet and connected to the v2 controller. I was able to read and write to the v2 controller. Today all PAS levels are working. Went for several test rides and the PAS and throttle are both working. The 860c display still does not work with error 30. Maybe Seb will know. I'm happy but at the same time worried it will fail again. For now I am running the c240 display and it is working. Would using dielectric grease cause any issues with the connectors? The last thing I did was blew out the dielectric grease from the connectors with compressed air. I have used dielectric grease on the motor connectors before without issues.

Comment

I Have a BBSHD and wanted to adjust the throttle response and pas level settings so I downloaded the Andriod Speeed app and it seemed to work great. I wrote all the new numbers to the controller and received the 'write successful' confirmation. Now the throttle is working and it is smoother but there is no pedal assist at all! I have tried redoing the settings and rewriting several times but nothing works. The Speeed app when connected shows all the correct settings. Can this be a bad torque sensor? It was fine when I started.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          BBSHD does not have a torque sensor

• Litebike
          Litebike commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought the BBSHD was also called the M620/G510. That is the motor I have with the DPC18 Display. I wonder if I try the original laptop download program if that might work to input the pedal assist settings? It seems like the Speeed app writes everything ok except the pedal assist levels. The bike worked fine before I used the Speeed app. Is it possible for the torque sensor to fail while programming?

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          620 is Ultra, not BBSHD

PAS has stopped working again.

Proof the torque sensor is bad? I have also sent this to Seb and hope they just replace the complete motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	99
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	153532
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	80
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	153534
        Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I would say that is a pretty good indicator. We'll get back to you on email shortly.

Paxtana,
        I feel like I am running in circles. Why do I have to spend so much time and effort to fix this problem. I feel like we are going backwards with each reply from customer service. No PAS with stock controller and no PAS with v2 controller. I have sent CS videos of me riding the bike with no PAS. What more do I need to do to get them to figure this out. 3 weeks with same problem no PAS. I have tried 2 displays c240 and 860c and a new main wiring harness. Still no PAS.

Comment

I don't think anybody is making you run in circles Rick.. Asking details about how it was installed and circumstances preceding the issue is part of due diligence for any customer service member doing remote technical support.

It can take a bit of back and forth and may require patience sometimes but we always come through.

We explain this is how support works directly on the listing for the bike you bought, and also fully endorsed buying from your LBS if you needed a higher level of support, like the kind where you can just bring the bike by, say it is having an issue and drop it off for inspection. We are not near you so we do not have that luxury, but that is also why we are able to sell this bike for thousands less than any comparable bike would be in the LBS, a fair trade off I would say.

Comment

I understand the due diligence part. I hope we can get this resolved soon I count 14 emails sent by me so far. But maybe time for a phone call to go over the issue? Email wait for a day then email wait another day is not getting this resolved.

Comment

Paxtana,

Update: I got the new motor with v2 controller delivered a few days ago. Installed the motor, Updated the v2 controller firmware, reset the Max Current to 30A in Bike Config and preformed an Offset Correction. Changed the tune to Trail and checked the Fixed Throttle box. When for a quick 5 min ride and the motor is providing assistance. Yea! Rain moved in and did not get a proper test ride. Today I got the bike out and did a 1 hour loop which included road and trail mixed. Bike is working perfectly. The v2 controller is really great and is providing assistance better than with the stock controller. Thanks for the help getting this resolved.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear the good news!
            Working...
            X