Headlight help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight help

Trying to upgrade the headlight on my bbshd. Replace stock unit with a dirtbike headlight with the following led bulb and socket. Can't get it to work...I'm no electrical whiz....is there a solution or am I way off base?

way off base?

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
    Trying to upgrade the headlight on my bbshd. Replace stock unit with a dirtbike headlight with the following led bulb and socket. Can't get it to work...I'm no electrical whiz....is there a solution or am I way off base?
    The stock output is very weak - if you put too much load on it it will likely never function after that... regardless, it's not a 12V system either (you didn't say what light you tried)

Most folks looking for a higher output light just go with rechargeable lights

Comment

My understanding is the stock light is 6 volts, so the new bulb I chose is 6 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
        My understanding is the stock light is 6 volts, so the new bulb I chose is 6 volts.
        Unfortunately they barely have enough power to run a small LED... likely no more than ~0.5A (~3W @ 6V)

Comment

waste of time
          Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Cyclops
            Cyclops commented
            Editing a comment
            So..Stts...how would you rig that up? Is it easy to do? How about bypassing the controller and connecting directly to the battery?

• stts
            stts commented
            Editing a comment
            waste of time
            Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 04:52 PM.

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            FWIW every report I've read of someone overloading the light output just fries the output and nothing else..may have a little internal microfuse or something\

Big time YMMV

waste of time
          Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 04:52 PM.

Comment

There are some LED lights that will handle 36v but very few that seem to cover the 48v range and I don't know I have seen any that can handle the almost 60v of a 52v system. Even if you find some of those they are more of an off road flood light made for heavy equipment, hardly something you would use on a bicycle that would possibly encounter oncoming traffic. There are some DC to DC converters that will drop 48v to 12v so you have more options but the converter cost money and takes up space and if you have a 52v system you have to make sure it can handle 60v which not all of em can. A common place they are used is golf carts which are often 48v.

Its way easier to just buy a reachable light made for a bicycle. They make them that are crazy bright. If your display or battery has a USB port you could possibly charge the new light off the main pack.

Comment

I was using rechargeable lights long before Ebikes so I still use them. Niterider Lumina offroad lights are bright and almost indestructable. Some of the newer ones have a fluted lens that is more traffic friendly than older ones. There are of course other brands. I just have years of experience with NR. But battery replacement is an issue. Others may be better in that regard.

Comment

My rides are generally 20-25km. long, only using about 30% battery. So for me, it makes sense to power the headlight off the bikes battery. Not to mention having to think about a rechargeable headlight battery. Yes kinda trivial. So, has no one tried stts's suggested method or any other ideas? If it's not doable, I suppose I could use a rechargeable battery pack to power the light I want to use.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suppose I could plug the rechargeable light into the battery USB while recharging it But if you want integrated lighting go for it.
                  BTW I always carry a backup headlight light of some kind.

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It makes sense to power from the bike battery but mostly just "in theory" since there are very few lights that run off 48/52V bike battery voltage

Another method is to get a 48V to 12V converter (like used in a golf cart) to power 12V lights but it starts to complicate wiring

Rechargeable lights are plentiful with many, many excellent options and the battery will generally always last plenty long and there are more than a few that use 18650's or 123's so carrying a spare battery for them is silly easy

So while not the "theoretical" best approach the rechargeable lights are probably the best from a "practical" standpoint and why, by far, most electric bike guys use them...

waste of time
                Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X