750W 60v motor cuts out with throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750W 60v motor cuts out with throttle

Hello, I have a 60 volt 750 watt fat tire E-bike from hardcore ecycles that I use for hunting. Used it one morning and it worked great, finished hunting and started heading back and if I hit the thumb throttle motor drops out instantly. Also on pedal assist level 5 it drops out instantly, level 4 it will run some on pedal assist but still drops out. Level 3 it runs better but doesn’t seem to have the power it had. Bike manufacturer sent me a new controller and display and still does the same. I ohmed out my cables from display to controller, and controller to motor and they all ohm good. My battery voltage fully charged is 71.5 volts. I have unhooked thumb throttle, and brake sensors and it still does it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I need to check?

thanks

When you say "drops out" powers off? or you have to cycle switch back on? I suspect something with the BMS on the battery Check voltage during battery Draw and see what happens?

Comment

• Dollabeel02
      Dollabeel02 commented
      Editing a comment
      The display stays on just the motor stops working, motor watts go to 0 most of the time I can drop pedal assist back down to level 3 and it will pick back up, but as soon as I switch to level 5 or press throttle when it’s hooked up motor cuts out again
      Last edited by Dollabeel02; 11-01-2022, 07:19 AM.

• wisk9ice
      wisk9ice commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it possible to unhook the power to the motors and test each one individually. See if one or both Individually gives same results?
      What type of display is it? Is it capable of wattage draw? Hope this helps I'm not well versed in dual systems or how they are wired but maybe other more knowledgeable individuals have some ideas.

• Dollabeel02
      Dollabeel02 commented
      Editing a comment
      its just one 750 watt hub motor. KT-LCD3 is the model for the display, and it is what come on the bike originally.

Comment

I still suspect it is your Battery/BMS- The wattage draw exceeds the capability of your battery. What is the age of the battery? They will decline over time.

Comment

• Dollabeel02
        Dollabeel02 commented
        Editing a comment
        Battery is almost 2 years old, bike/battery has around 200 miles.
        Last edited by Dollabeel02; 11-02-2022, 08:07 AM.

Curiosity was it cold when you went hunting that day? Also does it act the same when you have a full charge on it? How did you charge your battery when it was not used for a long time?
      Here is a you tube link on maintaining a e bike battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcFytLYOIQ

Comment

• Dollabeel02
        Dollabeel02 commented
        Editing a comment
        The 1st time it happened it was a “cool” day but it has been pretty warm lately and it does it still. The video I shared was before charging my battery, it’s fully charged now and still doing it the same. After hunting season I charged my battery completely and stored it inside.

waste of time
      Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• stts
        stts commented
        Editing a comment
        waste of time
        Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 05:25 PM.

• Dollabeel02
        Dollabeel02 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can put it on a stand, turn it on and press throttle and it cuts out almost instantly (it will run longer with tire off the ground but most of the time if I go 0-full throttle it will cut out even with tire off the ground). Or I can start off on PAS 5 and pedal and it will cut out almost instantly.

• stts
        stts commented
        Editing a comment
        waste of time

I thought thermistor would not cut out that quick unless there was other underlying condition that would cause this? I still go back to battery capability. stts you are correct on BMS,; since he replaced display and controller process of elimination is battery.

Comment

waste of time

Comment

I have noticed when using throttle the temperature on display goes off then comes back on, but it doesn’t do that when using PAS. I am going to try running it with tire off the ground when I get home to see if it will cut out on 3 and 4 and how long it takes.

Comment

• wisk9ice
            wisk9ice commented
            Editing a comment
            stts is a wise fellow and I see what he is talking about. I hoped it was a simpler solution but A motor tear-down may be required.

waste of time
          Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Dollabeel02
            Dollabeel02 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear about your friend.

I did put the bike up and ran it on PAS 3, the watts ran 75-100. I did notice right off the bat that I could get it started with PAS and stop pedaling for a brief second and then start back and it would make the motor cut out even on level 3. This happened not even 45 seconds into running the bike and I can repeat this scenario just about every time.

I did manage to run it without it cutting out for prob 4-5 minutes non stop. Stopped the wheel and felt motor and there was no noticeable heat felt.

• stts
            stts commented
            Editing a comment
            waste of time
            Last edited by stts; 03-24-2023, 05:26 PM.

update on my issue… I did get a new motor from the e-bike manufacturer under warranty. And my bike is working great now!

thanks everyone for the help!

I was able to keep my old motor. Are there any places that fix/rebuild these hub motors? Since I did not have to send old one back I would like to get it fixed if possible so I will have a spare if I was to ever have another issue.

Comment

Working...
          X