Battery LED not lighting when battery is connected to the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery LED not lighting when battery is connected to the bike

I used Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V motor kit to convert my commuter bike to e bike 2+ years ago. Recently it has stopped even powering up. This was sudden after a bike tune up of the non electrical parts. I have replaced the controller but still not powering up. Meanwhile, I see a doubtful thing on battery. The battery I am using is an older version of https://www.uppbattery.com/products/...ys-arrive-1074 but similar specification. The battery is fully charged, as the multimter shows ~52V. The LED lights on the battery light up when the battery is not connected on the bike. However, when I connect it to the bike, the lights don't light up at all. I have verified that the battery's ON/OFF switch is on ON position. Does this point to some problem?

I also verified that all the connections on the bike are fine by doing a visual inspection. Even the light on the speed sensor is not lighting up. Nowhere on the bike is there any indication of power being there, the display doesn's come up, even after holding the ebike's power ON button (on the handle) for a long time.

Originally posted by sharadbags View Post
    The battery is fully charged, as the multimter shows ~52V. The LED lights on the battery light up when the battery is not connected on the bike. However, when I connect it to the bike, the lights don't light up at all. I have verified that the battery's ON/OFF switch is on ON position. Does this point to some problem?

I also verified that all the connections on the bike are fine by doing a visual inspection. Even the light on the speed sensor is not lighting up. Nowhere on the bike is there any indication of power being there, the display doesn's come up, even after holding the ebike's power ON button (on the handle) for a long time.
    My armchair, remote guess would be the battery's BMS has failed - which is probably not easily replaceable.

Comment

Any idea how to test it?

Comment

Originally posted by sharadbags View Post
        Any idea how to test it?
        You probably already know this, but caution - disassembling and/or probing an e-bike battery pack can be dangerous.

The gist of troubleshooting the battery bank versus the BMS can be seen (to a high-level degree, not down to the component level) in several YouTube videos - for example, these two:

Last edited by ncmired; 09-17-2023, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I dunno - I'd just put a large [passive] load on the battery (like the skillet) and see what it does

Comment

Working...
          X