Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another troublesome intermittend throttle issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomp81
    replied
    Yikes... I was hoping to not have to go down that rabbit hole :) Thank you, I'll disassemble what I can and see how it goes. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    replied
    If you have done all that then you might want to start looking for other less likely causes. For example I remember this one case where the bike had an issue and we eventually traced it to a wire routed under the seat that was getting pinched when the rider sat down, causing cutouts.

Leave a comment:

• tomp81
    replied
    Thank you, I did try that numerous times. Even before the new throttle, i.e. with the old throttle, the bike would randomly work for 5-10 seconds and then be unresponsive for the next few days. The voltages are reading right (even with old throttle), and the intermittent nature has me stumped. Any recommendations on how to debug this further?

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    replied
    If it was working and stopped when you mounted it I would suspect something like maybe the wiring is getting yanked out of the throttle housing or something else related to the wires being strained or otherwise intermittently connected. Maybe unplug the connector and plug it back in all the way, taking care to check that none of the pins got bent or damaged.

Leave a comment:

• tomp81
    replied
    The new throttle arrived, and hooking it up from "the side," just to test it, was promising. I was able to ride the bike around the garage for a minute. Alas, when I went to properly install it, the bike was unresponsive again... Any suggestions? Thanks,

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Yet another troublesome intermittend throttle issue...

I searched the forums but still haven't resolved the issue...

2-3 weeks ago my son went riding in the rain, likely that he got something wet. The throttle became intermittent – it’d stop working, but two minutes or so later, turning on the bike again would make it work. But not for long. I can replicate that in the garage even now. The throttle will work for 5-15 seconds, then become unresponsive.

I had already removed the brake sensors in the past, but today I also removed the kickstand sensor and the bike-fell-over sensors, just to simplify the context. I did the “SR Throttle test” (https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...273#post115273) and saw the expected voltages. So it’s likely not a throttle problem.

The LED tester shows one blink, meaning “system ok.”

Next I tried Pascal’s tail light diode debugging, I disconnected the tail light by removing the two pigtail connectors on the light itself. No difference. I followed the wiring to the front of the bike but didn't see an easy connector to disconnect the lights from that side.

I read the "deadly problem" thread on the voltages in throttle wiring: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ur-ron-problem, but am unsure exactly where to pick up another ground. So many ground wires everywhere... and I'd like to not make any non-reversible changes.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any other ideas that I haven't tried... or should I try re-grounding the throttle black wire? Thank you,

Tom

Working...
X