Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[BBSHD 1000W] - Error30 but bike works well :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[BBSHD 1000W] - Error30 but bike works well :)

Hi guys
    I need a brainstorming here :) :)

I have a Bafang 52v 1000W motor.
    Yesterday I saw Error30 - Communication Error on the screen.
    The bike, still works perfectly. Here, the test done:
    - Engine works
    - All power levels works
    - Throttle works
    - Shift sensor works
    - Wheel sensor + Magnet works (red led blinks).

Only thing that not works is on the LCD.
    Speed and Battery level are not shown. = 0%.

I tried moving the LCD to another bike, and it works perfectly... with all data....
    Moving a fully functional LCD on "problematic bike", the issue still persist... so.. LCD is not the problem..

Tried with also a spare cable like this, but the issue persist.

EDIT: connecting the programming cable, it smell bad and very hot.
    No data can be acquired.

Should I change the controller?
    Thanks​
    Last edited by DrakeVanCaster; 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for detailing the steps you've taken. Barring a pinched/smashed section in the lower part of the harness (between the controller and the first connector, often between the motor housing and the bicycle frame), I'd also suspect the controller electronics.

Good luck with your repair, and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by ncmired; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Thanks for your comment.
      Is possible that the controller have a problem but the engine works perfectly?

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeVanCaster View Post
        Thanks for your comment.
        Is possible that the controller have a problem but the engine works perfectly?
        I would think so - the controller creates data for the display (speed sensor pulses, power draw, etc.) every now & then, and it would likely be just another serial output convertor interface (two wires - signal, ground) for the controller processor(s) to drop data on every now & then - independently, the controller takes care of reading the PAS, throttle, brake/shift inhibits, core rotor position, etc., and acts appropriately. I doubt the controller knows if the screen doesn't get the message (no acknowledgment), and I assume since the display can't read the speed out of the controller data stream, you've got the display set to not turn off after the default five minutes.

The BBS series motor controllers don't need the display connected to operate - they only need pin 1 (P+) and 2 (PL) in the main harness connected together (via the display when turned on, or via a jumper wire):
        Click image for larger versionName:	Capture.pngViews:	0Size:	154.6 KBID:	166272

My guess is the only data coming back to the controller from the display is the PAS level and speed limit overrun (if set in the display and/or controller firmware).

P.S. I'm hoping AZguy or others proofread my technoblathering ...

Comment

I disabled LCD auto-switchoff because without data from controller, it switchoff after 5 minutes.
          But my father needs it on for using the bike. :)

I think I'll go with the controller... I tested quite everything...
          Hope to not waste money :)

I'll update the topic

Comment

Overnight, I remembered your note, "connecting the programming cable, it smell bad and very hot." - brings back the thought of mashed cable, or possibly bent pins in the main harness connector which is pretty easy to do as it's not mechanically keyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ncmired View Post
              Overnight, I remembered your note, "connecting the programming cable, it smell bad and very hot." - brings back the thought of mashed cable, or possibly bent pins in the main harness connector which is pretty easy to do as it's not mechanically keyed.
              First time my father tried to remove the plug to put the programming cable, he broke the connector and bent pins. (green connector on handlebar).
              I immediately swapped the 4-1 cable with a new one and the bicycle worked normally.. with no error.
              This problem appeared after 1 week to be honest.

Comment

If you decide to replace the controller, there's some rather stubborn white sealant holding the signal connectors together and blocking access to the connector housing locking tabs. What works for me is cutting the sealant with a thin blade knife, all the while gently tugging on the connector. Patience...

Comment

Originally posted by ncmired View Post
                  this is big help! thanks!

Comment

Hi.
                    Some news... A good one and a "bad" one.

GOOD: just received the new controller... Swapped and cable connected
                    Issue disappeared.... LCD works well with battery percentage and speed..

BAD: during assembly my I noticed that motor is 48v 1000w and my dad bought the 52v 1000w controller....

At this point... May I keep the controller? (I have 52v 20AH battery).

Thanks

Comment

• AZguy
                      AZguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Heck - there are folks running 72V battery/controllers on BBSHD's.... motor doesn't really care about voltage for the most part, the limit is the controller and 52V vs. 48V just isn't going to make any big difference... better to work at 52V regardless...

AFAIK, no issue at all, and perhaps for the better. Glad you're rolling again.

Comment

Working...
                    X