Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tektro Dorado compatibility

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tektro Dorado compatibility

    Hi, I am new to ebikes and stupidly decided to build my own. I bought a bunch of stuff and nothing fits...
    I bought Tektro Dorado ebike brakes, front and rear and a cheap ebikeling front hub kit. The calipers do not fit between the hub and disc.

    So my question is:
    What front motor will the tektro dorados fit on?


    #2
    How much space do you need? Most front forks are steel so maybe you could spread them a little and space the rotor out.

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry, I didnt explain myself well
      The hub fits in the fork ok. The problem is the motor does not have proper clearance for calipers.

      The motor has clearance for 16mm calipers. The tektro Dorado need about 20mm clearance. The area from the brake disc to the hub motor case.

      Comment


        #4
        Yeah so like I said space out the rotor 4mm. This will give you the clearance but you may also have to dish the rim and/or change your dropout width.

        Comment


          #5
          If I add 4mm more spacers I wont even be able to get the axle in the dropouts because the rotor would be too far over. I would have to grind 4mm off the dropout if I added 4mm spacers to the rotor.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
            How much space do you need? Most front forks are steel so maybe you could spread them a little and space the rotor out.
            When I said spread maybe I should have said bend. Space out the rotor 4mm then put 4mm of washers on each side of the motor's axle. Spread/bend your dropouts open 8mm. That is only 5/16th of an inch. If you don't like the way that sounds buy a new front fork that is wider. This member near you has a fork for sale. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ened-10mm-used

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

              When I said spread maybe I should have said bend. Space out the rotor 4mm then put 4mm of washers on each side of the motor's axle. Spread/bend your dropouts open 8mm. That is only 5/16th of an inch. If you don't like the way that sounds buy a new front fork that is wider. This member near you has a fork for sale. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ened-10mm-used
              I am a bit wary of spreading/bending the dropouts, and would prefer to just buy a fork that works if I can find one.
              Any recommendations for a cheap-ish 29er fork thats a little wider than normal? Currently has the stock suntour xcm, just used on pavement and gravel trails.

              Appreciate the help. I am not a bike guy and thought this conversion was going to be a lot easier.

              Comment


                #8
                I don't think it's stupid to build your own. It is challenging and frustrating, but if you are intimately familiar with your rig it makes repairs a lot easier.

                I have Tektro Dorados on a standard bicycle hub (Salsa Fat Conversion, 150mm dropouts) in the front. I measured the flange to flange distance (on the hub) and I got 87mm. I have no spacer for the rotor in this setup.

                What is the flange to flange distance on your front hub motor?
                Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-06-2017, 03:43 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MaxxGabriel View Post

                  I am a bit wary of spreading/bending the dropouts, and would prefer to just buy a fork that works if I can find one.
                  Any recommendations for a cheap-ish 29er fork thats a little wider than normal? Currently has the stock suntour xcm, just used on pavement and gravel trails.

                  Appreciate the help. I am not a bike guy and thought this conversion was going to be a lot easier.
                  Check out a Surly Ice Cream truck fork. I have never seen a larger front fork, but they are for 150mm dropouts. I have several if you want me to take some measurements.

                  I always choose the widest dropouts available so that I have plenty of room to cram my components in there.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I like the spacer idea! Your steel will bend no problem.

                    Adding an equal amount of spacers on both sides is best, but if you are willing to have your tires track slightly off, you can add less spacers on the drive side as a last resort.
                    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-06-2017, 03:52 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
                      I don't think it's stupid to build your own. It is challenging and frustrating, but if you are intimately familiar with your rig it makes repairs a lot easier.


                      I have Tektro Dorados on a standard bicycle hub (Salsa Fat Conversion, 150mm dropouts) in the front. I measured the flange to flange distance (on the hub) and I got 87mm. I have no spacer for the rotor in this setup.

                      What is the flange to flange distance on your front hub motor?
                      If I measured correctly, then I got 82mm, not including spacers.
                      If I measured the caliper spacing correctly I will need 6mm of spacers for the rotor to fit the caliper.

                      Comment


                        #12

                        I have been checking out the surly forks. They look good, and are priced nicely. I sent them a message for a few details, and I am definitely looking at getting one. I would feel much more comfortable spreading an all steel fork vs my partial steel one I am running now.

                        Probably the Krampus since I think its the closest to my current dimensions.

                        commuter ebikes, I should have talked to you before I started :), we are even local!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by MaxxGabriel View Post
                          I have been checking out the surly forks. They look good, and are priced nicely. I sent them a message for a few details, and I am definitely looking at getting one. I would feel much more comfortable spreading an all steel fork vs my partial steel one I am running now.

                          Probably the Krampus since I think its the closest to my current dimensions.

                          commuter ebikes, I should have talked to you before I started :), we are even local!
                          You're in Santa Rosa?! Do you want me to see your issue in person? I am a certified bicycle technician. I will look at it for free.

                          I have some Surly Moonlander forks for sale: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ened-10mm-used.

                          What do you mean by partial steel? Is this the suspension fork you have: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/hom...del=%22XCM%22 ?

                          If you have a suspension fork as opposed to a rigid fork, that is a different conversation. If you spread the dropouts, the relationship between the stanchions will change angle (as opposed to staying parallel) upon compression. Ideally, you would not use any spacers in this application.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	sr3018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	34717
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork-Diagram-copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	34718
                          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-06-2017, 06:22 PM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Please post pictures of your front hub, rotor, caliper and fork. I would like to see this 6mm shortage. It may turn out to be the case where the front hub motor, Tektro Dorado brakes and suspension fork will not marry so easily.

                            One always has the option of selling a part that doesn't fit on eBay and then buying a part that fits. I do this a lot.

                            It is common for well meaning people to buy parts that are not compatible.
                            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-06-2017, 06:29 PM.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thats the fork I have.
                              Im not sure your moonlander fork is going to fit my very large 29er bike.

                              I will get some pics later.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X