BBSHD: motor cuts off when using throttle and then pedaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eBik View Post
    I still need to measure the voltage at the headlight wires.
    But if its 6v then the following relay should just draw just 60mA when powered:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2a-spdt-u...ay-6v-dc-n99cz

For £1.99 I'm tempted to go and buy one this week.

Did you ever get your headlight working? I ended up going with a solid state relay that worked perfect. http://a.co/7D1fqgM

It was connected to a light that uses 12-80 volts http://a.co/dVndlMm

Comment

I get the same herky-jerky issue when using the throttle and pedaling at the same time but since I usually only pedal its not much of an issue, unless I'm in the wrong gear at a dead stop, begin pedaling, realize I'm in the wrong gear and hit the throttle to avoid getting hit by that oncoming car. My brain says "Pedal harder!", my thumb says "Hit the throttle!". Only mildly annoying but kind of makes sense that that stupid computer is trying to solve two conflicting issues at once.

Comment

Same situation here. Throttle works normally when not pedaling. If pedaling, it outputs zero until it hits some point and immediately outputs 100%. Luna Crusher Ludacris.

There is one temporary annoying fix I've stumbled on. If you hold down the "-" button, the display (750c in my case) shows "P" and the motor starts putting out 25w while you're holding it down.
        Once you let go it disables the pedal sensor or something and the throttle works as it should, pedal assist doesn't work and you can pedal as you wish.
        Unfortunately after not using the throttle for a couple seconds, it reverts back to the regular "you can't pedal and use the throttle at the same time" mode.

Contacted Luna (I've actually gotten amazing support and fast too my whole time communicating with them) and they said "Yes it’s normal, all new BBS motors (for the past 6 months ) behave like this. There is no fix."
        Shame.. I'll either keep using my workaround or see about putting a switch in to flip pedal assist on and off like someone mentioned earlier..

Comment

Originally posted by Myelectriccity View Post
          Same situation here. Throttle works normally when not pedaling. If pedaling, it outputs zero until it hits some point and immediately outputs 100%. Luna Crusher Ludacris.

There is one temporary annoying fix I've stumbled on. If you hold down the "-" button, the display (750c in my case) shows "P" and the motor starts putting out 25w while you're holding it down.
          Not sure about the disabling pedal assist thing but if you hold down the minus key on the stock display (c961) it puts it into "walk" mode for when you have to push that 60+ lb bike up a really steep section of hill or a flight of stairs, actually kind of handy. Never run into the situation where Pedal assist didn't work after using it but then again I'm using a different display and Ive never actually tried to get it to do this. Sounds like its putting the controller into PAS 0 mode.

Comment

I would suggest to the people wanting to purchase a Bafang BBSXX to get a guarantee that there motors will not have this problem. I will not recommend or purchase another of these products until this is fix. Consumers stand up and don’t accept this. These motors are dangerous!

Comment

Unfortunately it seems that Bafang don't care. There are probably only a few of us who care about this issue anyway.
              It seems like we will need to find our own fix.
              Lots of chatter on ES about it
              https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...=unread#unread
              Last edited by espresso; 04-18-2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Holy Crap, I just stumbled onto this thread. I'm having the same problem. In any PAS mode if I am cruising along using throttle only, and then rotate the pedal cranks it kills the power. This is dangerous as well. If I am in PAS 4-5 pedaling along and then apply throttle, it dies. I then slow down a bit turning around in the road so I stop pedaling (while still holding down the throttle), the bike suddenly lunges forward. Is there no fix to this? I do not want to use PAS at all, just throttle and pedal when I want to.

Comment

If you only want throttle to always be "in control" and not use the PAS at all, you can program the controller for throttle only operation: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...tting-pas-wire

This works just fine =]

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
                    If you only want throttle to always be "in control" and not use the PAS at all, you can program the controller for throttle only operation: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...tting-pas-wire

This works just fine =]
                    Thanks AZ, I have reprogramed using this scheme and it works but I'd like to ask about your version to confirm a few things. For yours,
                    PAS 0 - I=100%, S= 0%
                    PAS 1 - I= 50%, S= 72%
                    PAS 2 - I= 71%, S= 72%
                    PAS 3 - I=100%, S=100%

PAS designated assist level = 0
                    Throttle designated assist level = By Display's Command

I have set my new bike up like this and using PAS 0, I have no throttle, no PAS. Under PAS 1-3 I do have the throttle control I was looking for, although it starts fairly suddenly (working on that with some of the other settings). My questions are 1.) is this the behavior I should expect from PAS 0? and 2.) For PAS 1-3 does the current level indicate how much power I get from the throttle or is that the speed level?

Very appreciative to OP dn9 for his post, because I was getting a little concerned I would not be able to accomplish this. I have a few questions regarding his setup that I will direct to him.

Comment

That's the behavior you should expect. PAS0 is no power, no assist.

The current level corresponds to the power. You may want to raise the speed since I set mine sort of low.

To tame the startup, try lower the "Start Current" on the throttle page. I set mine to 1% and it's super smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
                        That's the behavior you should expect. PAS0 is no power, no assist.

The current level corresponds to the power. You may want to raise the speed since I set mine sort of low.

To tame the startup, try lower the "Start Current" on the throttle page. I set mine to 1% and it's super smooth.
                        Works fantastic. Exactly what I needed. Also, I went ahead and set all of the current and speed percentages to 100% for Levels 1-9. With the max current limit of 30A I'm hopeful I don't fry anything. I have a very low gear ratio. Thanks again.

Comment

Good stuff! The three levels is just hat I set but there's no reason at all to not just set things to 100%/100% - that's my level 3

As long as you don't do high throttle in too high a gear you should be ok...

Comment

Working...
                          X