Please help Identify this Plug...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help Identify this Plug...

I've got My build all done and running great, not using the PAS wire ,headlamp wire, and ,as pictured, a 4 wire plug... don't know the brand of chinese controller this is, the kit came with a thumb throttle with 3 leds for battery meter. No lcd display came with this kit and was hoping at least I could upgrade for a LCD screen but I do not know how to wire one in on this controller. or even where to get one with only 4 wires .. Basically, what are my best options here? Should I just buy a new controller with lcd included ? or should I see if this plug is really for output to a screen? Does anyone here know what these colors on the 4 wires do? Can it be hooked up to something? I am lost and looking for easy answers :) Thanks !

Maybe it is a Xie-Chang controller, what may be the most common type of square wave (which is to say, trapezoidal wave) controller. All of my bikes have Lyen controllers, which are modified Xie-Chang controllers. I am very familiar with what each wire does because Edward Lyen clearly marks them.

If it is a Xie-Chang controller, you can buy a Grin Tech Cycle Analyst V3 and use the 6-pin connector in the photo for the Cycle Analyst. Under these circumstances, you will not use the 3-pin throttle connector on your controller; rather, you would connect your throttle to the Cycle Analyst. Also, the e-brake cutoff wires go into the CA.

Your ignition+, regen and temp sensor (all 2-pin) still go to your controller. Would you like me to upload a picture of Edward Lyen's nice markings?

Do you have a 3-speed switch? I.e. low/medium/high?
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-07-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes please upload that info to this thread. I have a hub motor and I am still trying to decide what to do with it and I haven't bought a controller yet.

Yes send Me a pic !! I'm not running any 3 speed switch...all I have is a twist throttle with low med high leds for batt level... I don't even know if there's regen or PAS adjustment available...... Do you know what the pinouts for that 4 wire plug are for ??

Just did a test with the multimeter:
    red = 4.77v
    black = ground
    white = 1.2v and increases with throttle, brake has no effect
    yellow = 4.77v and increases with throttle, brake drops it instantly to 0.0v

Comment

I have to rush off to work now, but I will upload a pic here when I get home. That 4-pin connector may be for a three speed switch. The voltage readings that you are reporting are very similar to what I get for my three speed switch connector, but mine has a 3-pin connector.
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-09-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Here are the clearly marked connectors on Lyen Mark 2 controller, which is a Xie-Chang controller:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1925.JPG Views:	1 Size:	398.6 KB ID:	39430

Comment

Notes:

(1) I do not use the "Throttle" connector. Because I have a CA V3, my throttle is wired directly into my CA.
          (2) The "E-Brake" refers to regen (not e-brake motor cutoff!).
          (3) The "USB" is for attaching the controller to a computer (e.g., to change the programming parameters).
          (4) The white "Regen" connector is to enable or disable regenerative braking. When this connector is attached, regen is enabled.
          (5) The E-Brake, 3 Speed and Ignition+ are wired to my multifunction switch, which is next to my hand grip.
          (6) The 2-pin connector for the temperature sensor is not shown because it is run directly from the motor to the CA.
          (7) My E-brake motor cutoff wires run from my brake levers directly to the CA. From the brake levers, two of the wires (one from each lever) are soldered to become one wire, and another two wires (the remaining wires from each lever) are soldered together to become one other wire. These two wires are connected to the 2-pin (blue and black) connector on the CA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	39433
          Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-09-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The multifunction switch costs $20 from Edward Lyen. It has seven wires coming out if it: white, gray, brown, yellow, red, green and blue. If you wire it up as in the photos, the power and regen will work, and the 3-speed switch will go low/medium/high as you toggle from left to right (if you mount the switch as in the photo).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	39435Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1932.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	39436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1913.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	39437

Comment

Notes:

(1) All of the wires from the multifunction switch go to the controller.
              (2) The 3-speed switch connector on the controller has red, green and black wires. The wires pictured above coming out of the multifunction switch are marked red (red tape) , green (green tape) and (labeled/written) (3 speed) black.
              (3) The yellow and black e-brake wires directly correspond to the yellow and black wires on the controller "E-Brake" connector.
              (4) The red and black ignition wires directly correspond to the red and black wires on the controller "Ignition+" connector.
              (5) In the photo, it may be hard to differentiate the brown and gray wires (emanating from the multifunction switch) from each other. The gray goes to ignition red, and the brown goes to E-Brake black.
              Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-09-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

My controller is the exact same model and I have the same questions. Did you ever determine if you could upgrade to an lcd display and if so, did you?

Comment

• Scoonie
                  Scoonie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cycle Analyst
              Working...
              X