Bafang software not connecting to controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bafang software not connecting to controller

I have changed the settings in my BBSHD's multiple times.

The bikes have been sitting for about 3 weeks with batteries disconnected. I rode both bikes today (Sunday 8/27/2017) and settings feel like they are back to stock config.

I am unable to connect to either controller to check settings. Com port shows up, I click connect, the connect button greys out, but no controller info shows up, and all buttons at bottom stay greyed out. I have left it connected for about 5 minutes and still nothing shows up.

Anyone else experience this issue?

So you've connected the usb cable first, then opened the programming tool? I ask, because I once changed usb ports while the programming tool was open, and the new com port wouldn't show up until I restarted the tool.

Comment

• JCHobbes
      JCHobbes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. If cable is not plugged in when software started, no comm port shows up. The only port listed is com3 when cable connected to computer. It has worked before.

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, cool. Maybe try a different usb cable if you can get one. I've bought a couple of spares, just in case...

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      There are no bent pins at the connector?

Pins look ok. When I move cable to different usb port, it changes com port also. My laptop has two usb's. One shows up as com3 on cable, other com 4 on cable.

Will splurge on another cable.

Comment

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      I just thought of something else, have you got the bike battery connected while trying to connect? The controller needs main power to be programmed. I do assume you already know this because you've changed settings before, I'm just checking that you didn't forget.
      Last edited by BenS; 09-03-2017, 06:57 PM.

Yes, battery connected. I brought one bike in the house, plugged into desktop computer, same problem. Cable shows up on com3 or com5 depending on which usb port plugged into. If I disconnect cable while hooked to bike I get "Cannot connect to controller" error. Just ordered another cable.
    Last edited by JCHobbes; 09-04-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      I temporarily couldn't connect to one of my controllers yesterday, and then a little while later, it did connect. I'm replacing it now anyway, 'cause it keeps getting error warnings; I think it may have shorted out or something, 'cause one of the hall sensor wires has a cut in the silicon insulator, probably from when I installed it. I think it damaged the display as well, because that's not reading correct voltage now(1.8v instead of 48v). I'm replacing both, and putting heat shrink tube over the hall sensor wires.
      Hopefully your controllers aren't the problem.

Replacement cable arrived, connected instantly when hooked up. Only had time to check one motor, but confident it will connect to other motor. The other cable must have a bad connection, most likely where wires connect to usb port.

Comment

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear, and cheers for the update! If you have spare time, it's probably worth opening the other one up to see if you can fix it.
      Last edited by BenS; 09-09-2017, 08:19 PM.

I may attempt cable dissection, although I am horrible with soldering if it needs to be done.

I was correct that the controller defaulted back to stock settings after being battery being disconnected for an extended period of time. Reloaded saved profile, going for a ride.

Comment

• BenS
      BenS commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, soldering can be difficult! It's strange that the controller reverted back to stock settings, I'll keep it in mind. I haven't experienced that, even though I always disconnect the main battery, because I always balance charge my Lipo's.

Originally posted by FattysEBikes View Post
    I may attempt cable dissection, although I am horrible with soldering if it needs to be done.

I was correct that the controller defaulted back to stock settings after being battery being disconnected for an extended period of time. Reloaded saved profile, going for a ride.
    I invested in a Hakko digital soldering iron, a cheap third hand soldering station with illuminated magnifying glass, digital heat gun, tip tinning compound, colored 3:1 heat shrink tubing with adhesive, thin rosin core solder and a Fluke multimeter. Soldering is very relaxing. You have to love a job that you can do sitting down!

Comment

Working...
    X