Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help! Connecting Controller to Lithium Ion Battery(w/ pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! Connecting Controller to Lithium Ion Battery(w/ pictures)

apologies beforehand, i'm pretty dumb. so i bought a conversion kit online and i think it only comes with parts to connect to lead battery? how do i connect it to my downtube battery. what parts am i missing? also the battery is a 48v.
    Post with 2 views. ebike
    Last edited by Paulie; 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM.

Ok welcome to the wonderful world of DIY. What you are gonna have to do is order yourself some XT 90 connectors and solder, if you can, or crimp, the female to your bare ends there. I would order the xt 90's from Luna with the pigtails already soldered to them with wires already color coded. Black to black, red to red. Hopefully your battery came with the appropriate charger? Also does your battery have a smaller wire coming off like the one you pictured? Before your first ride make sure to charge your battery all the way up. Which brings me to my next question, where did you get this kit, what kind of motor etc? Not sure about where all the wires you showed are connected. And as far as power goes, doesn't matter if it's sealed lead acid or lithium ion, as long as it is the right voltage. kinda hard to advise not knowing ALL the details, so when asking please let us know EVERYTHING about your setup, that way maybe we can help you get started. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleH2 View Post
      Ok welcome to the wonderful world of DIY. What you are gonna have to do is order yourself some XT 90 connectors and solder, if you can, or crimp, the female to your bare ends there. I would order the xt 90's from Luna with the pigtails already soldered to them with wires already color coded. Black to black, red to red. Hopefully your battery came with the appropriate charger? Also does your battery have a smaller wire coming off like the one you pictured? Before your first ride make sure to charge your battery all the way up. Which brings me to my next question, where did you get this kit, what kind of motor etc? Not sure about where all the wires you showed are connected. And as far as power goes, doesn't matter if it's sealed lead acid or lithium ion, as long as it is the right voltage. kinda hard to advise not knowing ALL the details, so when asking please let us know EVERYTHING about your setup, that way maybe we can help you get started. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
      so your saying i have to remove the xt60 coming off the battery and remove the dean plug coming off the controller and attach xt90's to each side and connect that way?

i purchased this battery
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      and this conversion kit
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the battery did come with a charger and no it doesn't have another wire coming off of it.

Comment

The bottom line is you need to connect the +ve (usually red) wire on the battery cradle to the +ve (also usually red) wire on the controller and ditto for the -ve (usually black) wires. It doesn't matter a whole lot what connectors, if any, you use as long as they match and can carry the needed current. You can find a whole dialog on some sites about the pros and cons of the various connectors. Some people choose to hard wire (solder) the battery cradle wires to the controller wires as both the controller and battery cradle will likely be somewhat permanently fixed to the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
          The bottom line is you need to connect the +ve (usually red) wire on the battery cradle to the +ve (also usually red) wire on the controller and ditto for the -ve (usually black) wires. It doesn't matter a whole lot what connectors, if any, you use as long as they match and can carry the needed current. You can find a whole dialog on some sites about the pros and cons of the various connectors. Some people choose to hard wire (solder) the battery cradle wires to the controller wires as both the controller and battery cradle will likely be somewhat permanently fixed to the bike.
          alright cool, ill put in a few orders and post an update in a few days if i get it all together. thanks!

Comment

My battery came with the two yellow pieces, one was already connected, an the other to connect with was loose. I went to a nearby computer shop and asked him to cut off the loop things and solder the yellow tip to the cable and put heat shrink around it. Cost me $25 and I didn't have to do anything.

Comment

Also fwiw I've had mine for about a week, bought the exact same battery and the exact same motor (I went with front wheel). So maybe we can compare tips with one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie View Post

alright cool, ill put in a few orders and post an update in a few days if i get it all together. thanks!
                How'd it all work out?

Comment

Originally posted by Beyizzer View Post

How'd it all work out?
                  https://imgur.com/a/OPQIK

i cut the XT60 off the battery and the Deans T-plug off the controller. attached the two xt90 using a butt connector and a crimper, flipped the switch and the lights turned on. it was a pain in the ass getting the wire into the butt connector but i finally figured it out. i bought the xt90 w/ pigtails from lunacycle as DaleH2 suggested.

thanks everyone for the help.
                  Last edited by Paulie; 10-17-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X