Brand new freewheel not freewheeling? - 12T for a MY1018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new freewheel not freewheeling? - 12T for a MY1018

I'm new to freewheel parts. Hopefully someone here has experience with them. I recently received a 12T Freewheel for a MY1018 from China (of course), but it doesn't freewheel; it's locked in both directions. When I received it 8 days ago I was so happy to finally get it after many weeks of waiting that I gave the seller positive feedback before installing it. Today when getting ready to install it, I discovered it doesn't freewheel. It just moves a slight amount in each direction before locking up. I have a video, but can't upload an AVI file here.

Anyone have an idea what would cause this internally? This 12T Freewheel is brand new and never used; hasn't even had a chain on it yet.

I've contacted the seller to see if he will send out another one after already giving positive feedback, but it's China so it is anybody's guess if he will honor delivering a good working product once the option to file a "item not as described" has been negated by leaving positive feedback.
    Last edited by Rider; 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM.
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Can you hear anything rattling inside? One guy on amazon says it's junk.
    Amazon.com : 12 Teeth Bicycle Chain Sprocket For Electric Bike Motor MY1016Z 12T Flywheel For MY1018 Customized Mid-drive Motor 12T Freewheel : Sports & Outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
      ...I have a video, but can't upload an AVI file here...
      You can upload the file to YouTube and post the link here.

Comment

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't use YouTube. Not really needed anyway. The freewheel simply doesn't freewheel.

Originally posted by max_volt View Post
      Can you hear anything rattling inside? One guy on amazon says it's junk.
      Well that is interesting. Mine doesn't make any rattling noise, it just doesn't freewheel as if something inside isn't right or releasing.

It could be another one of those situations where a Chinese manufacturer made a bad production run and the bad parts being dumped in the USA are just starting to hit the market. Won't be the first time or the last. I'm guessing the sellers of these now know they (or at least some) are bad.

Hopefully the seller on eBay will stand behind it. We will see. No reply yet.
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Do these little freewheels come apart?

I have a like size 12T freewheel with a large threaded hole in the center that appears the same on the outside. If they come apart, maybe by using parts from each I can assemble one good freewheel???
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rider; 01-21-2018, 05:11 PM.
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          This page may answer your question: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...uctive-removal

I don't use these type of freewheels anymore because if I can't rebuild my freewheel, I at least like to be able to reinstall it after removal.

I have used the method in the above link many times. The pawls and small ball bearings that come out are not conducive to reassembly.

I encourage everybody to stay away from freewheels which require a destructive removal technique.

• Rider
          Rider commented
          Editing a comment
          That freewheel above only cost $5 each. Why anyone would try to rebuild it is beyond me. Simply buy another one. The one in your link is not that freewheel.

These are used on aluminum adapters that fit onto a UNITE motor (MY####) without using the threaded portion in the center hole. The adapter that allows these to be used on MY1018 motors is a BHT-BIKE product from France. I have two of these and they freewheel perfectly.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=28&t=57771
          Last edited by Rider; 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM.

The freewheel purchased on eBay pictured on the MY1018 has 3 100% positive 5-Star reviews from prior purchasers. So my best guess is the last batch the seller got (had to wait a long time, just like the buyer on Amazon to get it) are improperly manufactured or assembled. Many people have run these 12T freewheels on their MY1016 and MY1018 motors for years without issue. With that said, I'd like to purchase a LIFT-MTB freewheel, but they will not sell them to anyone that doesn't already have one of their awesome bolt-on complete kits which are expensive, but very nice.

https://www.lift-mtb.com/accueil-faq-english/

MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

The eBay seller has agreed to sent out a new one. I asked him to personally check it before sending so this doesn't happen again. This and a battery are the only parts holding up my Niner Jet 9 MY1018 throttle only eMTB from making its' maiden voyage...
          MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Working...
          X