Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed cassette from 12-36 to 11-40 now it shifts hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed cassette from 12-36 to 11-40 now it shifts hard?

I am riding a giant stance 2, red, 2017 version with the 42t lekkie red bling ring. I have the BBSHD. I had silky smooth gear shifting with a gear shift sensor with the 12-36 cassette. Always one to tinker even when it is working perfectly, I wanted just a bit more speed on the downhills and a bit more climbing power on the hills. I really wanted a 42t or 46t cassette but I couldn't find a 9 speed one that would work for a decent price. I settled on the sunrise 11-40t 9 speed cassette.

The problem I have is that now, while it shifts, it shifts hard. Is that just because now instead of having 'small' jumps, it has rather 'large' ones? Anyone have experience with upgrading the cassette? Amazingly enough I get about an extra 2.5 mph with the 11t vice the 12t cog. On the hills it is certainly easier to go up hills now. It was certainly a pain to 'tune' the cassette.

Was the original cassette a 9 speed also? I know there are 12-36 10 speed cassettes, and thought id mention in case you over looked that. I would check the gear shift cable, lube it up where it enters the protector sheath (whatever bike pros call that) and maybe even replace. When i busted my derailleur off once, it bent the cable ever so slightly to where it was rubbing inside the housing, therefore when i adjusted the derailleur i could only get 9 of the ten gears working. If i adjusted from the highest to lowest i couldnt get to that very last low gear. Then when i adjusted from lowest to highest i couldnt get into the very highest gear. I spent hours going back and forth and the only "sweet spot" in the middle would give me crisp shifts on the middle 6 gears but at the extreme end of the range it would either skip a shift or complete the shift but then keep dropping back down. The bike shop discovered that it was just a bent cable in about 5 minutes, and i think charged me like 10 or 20 bucks for the new cable (coated in something) and labor. Money well spent. Good luck, i hope you get it resolved. I know how frustrating that is when all you want to do is go out and RIDEE!!!!!

Comment

I’ll have to check the vent cable issue. It’s brand new but it is possible I bent it with all the work done on it. They are both 9 speed cassettes.

Comment

Yeah worth a look at it. I couldnt see any reason why mine had bent but they showed me it at the lbs and it was bent ever so slightly to just create enough friction to stop it moving completely. I also may add that perhaps the wheel isnt sitting fully in the dropouts? Sorry if that sounds dumb, i just know from my own personal experience i always seem to overlook the simplest things. I just thought as well, check that the derailleur hanger isnt bent. Ive nicked mine before taking off the wheel and it bent it just enough that it wouldnt shift properly. The hanger is a light alloy, designed to bend or break (its a sacrificial part to save damaging the frame or other components) and even the slightest pressure against it may cause it to bend. Again a trip to the lbs and they screwed on a hanger adjuster and showed that it was slightly bent out. If you think about it makes sense. The hanger is where the derailleur mounts to, so even if the chain and derailleur and cassette are okay, the shifting will still have issues if the point of attachment is off axis. Ive tried to replace my drivetrain myself many times but every time it doesnt work as well as when the shop does it, so now i just let them do the work. Keeps them in business and as long as they are getting my money they dont hassle me about riding a "motor bike." But hey if youre looking for the diy route, nothing wrong with that either! If money is going to go anywhere, what better place than your own pocket! :) In any regards im eager to hear when you discover the culprit and get it back up and running!

Comment

I changed from 11-36 to 11-42, IIRC. I had hard shifting at first. My idler wheels were too close to the cogs, so the chain had to bend too sharply in a shift. There's a screw for that. Too far away, and shifts were vague. Too close, stiff and notchy. Play with that. You may need to install a longer screw for enough clearance.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I used the following youtube video to 'tune it in'. It finally shifts just fine one gear at a time. If i try more than that it doesn't always work. I've also found that tuning a wide range rear cassette is much more difficult than a smaller range one. I think that is because as JPLabs mentioned the screw to adjust the idler cogs has to be adjusted spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Comment

Working...
            X