Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor support cuts out at low speed

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought an electric ZAP bike (2nd hand) but am having problems with the engine support. As soon as I reach about 18-19 kmh it cuts out and it feels like I'm pedalling with the brakes on. Very frustrating!! I have tried to find some setting on the display to maybe change the max speed setting but have not had any luck. I have no manual for the bike and cannot find any online either.
    Any ideas?

Is there really nobody at all who can give any advice on this? Pretty much every other post seems to get several replies.....

Comment

This is all I could find on them. I can tell that a sealed lead acid battery has about a 2 year life span if the battery is older than that, that is what I'd replace first. Honestly though, you would be better off to spend your money on a better drive system. Those things shred tires in no time, and you will never get much power or speed out of it, even with a new battery.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
        This is all I could find on them. I can tell that a sealed lead acid battery has about a 2 year life span if the battery is older than that, that is what I'd replace first. Honestly though, you would be better off to spend your money on a better drive system. Those things shred tires in no time, and you will never get much power or speed out of it, even with a new battery.
        I assumed the OP was referring to this Zap bike, especially since he is from Australia.
        https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z...in-its-class#/

but who knows?

Comment

• Peter
          Peter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's the Australian version of a ZAP bike I have. With the big heavy battery block attached under the carrier at the back (not the urban or cross model featured on the indiegogo site you sent). The battery is a bit over 2 years old as far as I know but works fine from standstill and going uphill. I still hope it's the max speed setting that is the problem but nobody seems to know how to change/adjust it.

• Rix Ryds
          Rix Ryds commented
          Editing a comment
          The display, which is not present in the only info I can find does not change the speed setting. The throttle switch does.

"Throttle Switch
          For safety, the Throttle Switch is a spring loaded, two-speed
          selector switch. When released, it will return to the off position.
          When the switch is pushed away from the rider, it activates the
          low speed. When the switch is pulled toward the rider, it activates
          the high speed. It is recommended that the switch be
          mounted in such a way that it can be activated with the index finger
          of the left hand. We have found this to be the most comfortable
          position."

I had a Zap bike, my first, hand-me-down. 2x 12V batteries, in parallel if I remember correctly, not sure.

12 mph (20 kph) would have made me happy, with old batteries. It had what was basically an automotive cooling fan motor, or something real similar, and friction drive to the rear wheel. Is that what you mean?

It got slower and slower as the batteries aged. I suspect you need fresh ones.

It was obsolete to me, but perfect for the nice lady at my garage sale. Perspective. A new bike would sure outperform it. But it's not scrap, either!
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that OP better describe d his bike, I see it isn't one of these.....
      Working...
      X