Cyclone 3000 + 60V battery cutting off at high torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclone 3000 + 60V battery cutting off at high torque

Finally got my cyclone build together and in the testing phase. Thankfully everything was aligned properly first go around with no real issues. When riding, there is an extremely small sweet spot where the throttle will gradually increase the torque. Anything under that won't give any power at all and anything above that will give quite a jerky start. Also, it seems when I slightly overturn the throttle (especially to go up hills and things) it just kills the bike entirely. I can unhook the battery from the Cyclone, plug it back in, and everything will work again albeit with the same problems. Also, I'm dumb and don't know how to program my controller different from factory settings. Would that help? I'm getting voltage readouts in the mid 60s on my throttle.

Specs:
    60V 24ah Battery
    Cyclone 3000
    40amp 48-72V Controller
    Full grip Twist Throttle (I just noticed this is for 48V only so the voltage readout might be off.)

Is the pack fully charged or it cuts at any voltage? Are you downshifting? Have you done multiple charge cycles with charging to 100% so it has a chance to balance? Are you using or storing battery in freezing cold? Does the motor or controller feel hot to the touch when shutting down? What do you have to do to initiate it turning back on once it shuts down?

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response.

• The pack was fully charged in testing.
      • Bike is a 7 speed and I’ve tried it in different gears. Seems to work best in 2nd gear. In 7th gear it seems to kill over much more easily.
      • This is the first cycle. Should I ride it all the way down to low power a few times to balance it?
      • bike and battery have been kept at room temps. Like 60-70°
      • motor was a little warm after I got up to 30mph in test but not hot to the touch.
      • Once it shuts off it won’t start back up until I unplug the battery from the motor and replug it in.

Sorry if i’m jumping the gun and the battery just needs to be driven a bit. This is my first build so I’m not sure exactly what to expect. After I posted this it still had issues dying when starting off going up hills in 2nd gear but worked relatively well on flat ground.
      Last edited by PictureDave; 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Ok yeah you definitely don't want to lug it in high gear up hills as that can cause a variety of problems, lower gear's better..

You don't have to ride the battery to low power to balance, even just dropping it by a volt or two is fine as long as you are charging to 100%.

If the system turns back on when you unplug the battery and plug it back in this would indicate some type of overheat or fault in the system rather than the battery. If it were the battery you would likely need to plug it into a charger to get it to turn back on, or wait for it to stop sagging enough to go above lvc it was sag related. Might try a different controller if issue persists.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
          Ok yeah you definitely don't want to lug it in high gear up hills as that can cause a variety of problems, lower gear's better..

You don't have to ride the battery to low power to balance, even just dropping it by a volt or two is fine as long as you are charging to 100%.

If the system turns back on when you unplug the battery and plug it back in this would indicate some type of overheat or fault in the system rather than the battery. If it were the battery you would likely need to plug it into a charger to get it to turn back on, or wait for it to stop sagging enough to go above lvc it was sag related. Might try a different controller if issue persists.
          Thanks a lot for your input. Second night out seemed to go quite a bit smoother. Could also be that I needed to get more practice with it. Still worried about the powering off thing but that didn’t happen as often the second day. Seemed to happen more easily in higher gears.

Do you have a controller you would recommend for the Cyclone 3K with a 60V battery?

Comment

Besides stock? We have the ASI, that's the new hotness these days. https://lunacycle.com/asi-bac-800-controller/

Comment

Try this: When it shuts off... don't unplug it. Let it sit. For 5 maybe even 10 minutes. Every few minutes get a firm grip on the bike and try the throttle. If it suddenly starts working again you are probably dealing with a heat issue.

edit: You know, the 'especially when going up hills' part of what you said totally sounds like lugging the motor and heat. Are you upshifting to keep the motor at a high whine and never EVER letting it do lower rpms?

You really need to row thru the gears to keep those rpms hi. My technique for throttle/shifter is

lift
              shift
              Just 1 pedal rotation to shift gears
              Back on the throttle.

In practice it sounds like I am driving a small sports car with the gears shifting like that. As I approach a stop sign, I lift and upshift 3-4 gears before I get stopped. Only when geared lower can I use throttle forward off the line... and of course I have to lean into the front wheel to keep it on the ground.
              Last edited by MoneyPit; 03-02-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Btw in theory the gearsensor could be used with cyclone kits. Just needs rewired so it can work with the ebrake connection
            Working...
            X