X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPLabs
    replied
    Yep, that'll do it!

I've saved a lot of motors, shop vacs, antique fans, and light power equipment by replacing the one vulnerable bearing, wherever they 'put' it. Seems to be a common 'life limiter' for anything used in dirt and water. Nice save!

I've taken to removing factory grease and packing with marine wheel bearing grease, on my last 2 BBS bearing repairs. Sticky stuff which resists water washout. More drag, might be a bad idea, but might last longer. Makes me feel like I did something about it, anyway. You might consider that, but if you can just seal it up, that's optimal.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    I've taken the motor apart now and found that the outer bearing is knackered.

The other one is good, but considering replacing both as the motor is apart.

I think water and grit got into it as there was no Cyclone sticker over that end. Just a round hole through which the end the shaft is visible and the inner race of the bearing.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Is it quieter under load, when the gears inside are loading the bearings? Gear trains can be noisier when no load.

Maybe needs fresh grease?

Just guessing, I don't know Cyclone noises, but common possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    It is a little noisy though ?
    I fired it up standing on its end, sprocket end up. All the noise was coming from the opposite end to the sprocket.
    I put it on its side to take the weight off that end and this made it quieter. But it's still a bit noisy at that end.

Can the bearing in that end be lubed up or replaced ?

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    All sorted now .

The key switch is knackered. I bypassed it and away she went.

Thanks for your help gents.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    Thank you. The wiring diagram will be most helpful.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Albion View Post
    I've found the same throttle on Ebay for not much.
    It has 5 wires though, but should be straight forward as the the 3 pin plug is the same.

Which wires in this setup should be live when the throttle is at rest. I suppose if I test the black and red into the block, they should register a voltage ?

There is a knowledge base here. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-documentation

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    The Red and Black are positive and negative 5 volts DC that comes from the controller. Do you have an on off switch or key switch. You may need to feed voltage into one of the wires on the controller to power it up. Do you have a wiring diagram for this?

• Albion
    replied
    I've found the same throttle on Ebay for not much.
    It has 5 wires though, but should be straight forward as the the 3 pin plug is the same.

Which wires in this setup should be live when the throttle is at rest. I suppose if I test the black and red into the block, they should register a voltage ?

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    replied
    I like remove and replace. If this were me, I would buy a replacement throttle or controller (known to work!) and substitute that in to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem, you now have a spare component which you can almost certainly use one day. Spare throttles and controllers usually don't cost too much. All of my ebikes have the same electrical system, so I can stock the minimum number of replacement parts. This sure makes troubleshooting a breeze.

I had a similar problem once (although not on a Cyclone), and it turned out to be the wiring on my throttle. On my throttle, there are three wires. I had it wired up wrong. I learned that you can't hurt anything by experimenting with the wiring on your throttle. Since there are only three wires going into three wires, there are only so many possible wiring combinations, and only one combination will work. I thought it was interesting that you can't fry anything by experimenting with the wiring combinations.

Let us know how you are doing!
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 03-10-2018, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    started a topic My 3K Cyclone motor wont work ?

My 3K Cyclone motor wont work ?

I bought a second hand 3000 Watt Cyclone motor setup. The guy assured me that it worked just fine and after sounding him out, I decided to buy it from him.
    I've been cleaning it up and getting it ready to hitch up to some power.
    For a quick test, I wired 4 car batteries in series which got me 51.9 V.
    Plugged everything together and connected the battery. Nothing. Not even a voltage reading on the twist throttle.
    I triple checked all the connections and still nothing.

Please can anyone advise me on how to set about testing to find out where the fault is ?

The controller is the standard one that comes with the kit. I've opened it up to see if there is any hint of a burnt out electrics smell in there, but there isnt. Nor any sign of water having got in there.

There is a spark when I connect the power. But if I disconnect and reconnect quite quickly, there is no spark. But I will get one again if I leave it awhile before reconnecting. Dont know if that offers any clues ?

I'm yet to make contact with the seller, but he put a couple of videos on Youtube of him riding around with it working just fine before I bought it.

Any help gratefully received.
Working...
X