Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD new installation motor pulses on and off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD new installation motor pulses on and off.

I just completed my build with the mid-drive BBSHD motor. When using pedal assist or throttle motor continuously turns off and on, kike it is trying to maintain a certain speed or RPM. How do I fix this

Have you fiddled with the controller parameters?

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-programming

Comment

No I have not. I will give it a try.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        If you post the settings here someone will likely be able to tell you what to expect from them if you aren't cozy with understanding their effects

Setting might affect this in PAS, but should not cause or effect throttle use, I think.

I would be more inclined to look for low charge or power delivery hardware issues if you aren't getting smooth throttle power. Unless at Max speed, when control can limit power. At low speeds, throttle should be consistent, not choppy or on/off/on or surging.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        If the keep current is 100% and the PAS is in constant voltage mode it surges a bit around the speed - the control loop is chasing it. I haven't run it like this in quite a while but I remember it being quite noticeable and it is readily tamed by lowering the keep current.

The BBSxx's I've seen all came from the "factory" with the throttle mode set to speed vs. current (although keep currents were below 100%). From day one I've set it to current but from experience with other bikes where it was clearly set to speed I'd bet it behaves the same as the PAS in speed limited mode.

I don't know the extent of the effect he's feeling but knowing he controller parameters never hurts, especially if they've been fiddled with which is what I was asking.

Not to digress, but I always seem to.... ;-} My first e-bike has a bafang rear hub and the controller setup on it is horrid. I never realized how bad it was until I got spoiled riding the BBSHD. It runs in speed limited mode nearly continuously and it does plenty of hunting which feels like surging. I rode that bike for a year and just though it was the way they were and even recommended to the bikes support staff they go to constant power - I guessed it would improve it. Turns out that they must have heard this enough from their users that the next year the same ebike, controller and motor is now setup constant power (battery current).

It's funny... at the time that bike was the best thing since sliced bread to me and while I thought the controller could be improved, didn't think about it much - sort of like the recent BBSxx PAS override flaw for me. Now after all that time on the BBSHD I can't stand riding the old bike! Before it just felt like it was chasing the speed a bit but no big. Now it feels like it's constantly surging horribly and I know it's no different than it was - it just feels so amplified when coming from the BBSHD...
        Last edited by AZguy; 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM.

AZguy, once again you make an important point. I've never run SPEED mode for throttle, I forgot that stock is that mode, and I didn't consider it, above. I bet you are right.

Certainly good to look at, and setting CURRENT mode is a good first step to check it.

Kevin, I don't see anything pointing to wiring or power delivery, with this considered. That's good for you, this easily could be normal surging, and tunable!

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Then again it might be completely unrelated =]

At least then we can rule it out....

Thanks to everyone! I changed the control parameters and it works beautifully!

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
        X